What Carly Fiorina Missed When She Compared Marijuana To Beer

Jacob Redmond

Republican presidential primary candidate Carly Fiorina highlighted the dangers of substance abuse, and the need to invest more in effective and comprehensive drug treatment programs during Wednesday night's second Republican debate. On the question of whether or not marijuana should be legalized, Fiorina highlighted her own stepdaughter's tragic death in 2009, which resulted from struggles with alcoholism, prescription drug abuse, and bulimia–details she discussed in her recent book, "Rising to the Challenge: My Leadership Journey."

The former Hewlett-Packard CEO used her daughter's death to suggest that legalizing marijuana, which she described as a gateway drug, would possibly lead to similar cases. She also reiterated the notion that young people need to be educated about how marijuana use should not be treated with the same frivolity as, say, beer consumption is.

"We are misleading young people when we tell them that marijuana is just like having a beer–it's not," Fiorina said.

Paradoxically, Fiorina is right: as ATTN: reported in February, research published in Scientific Reports, a subsidiary publication of the journal Nature, found alcohol to be about 114 times more deadly than marijuana. Researchers used calculations comparing lethal levels of ingestion for a range of controlled substances spanning alcohol, tobacco, heroin, cocaine, ecstasy, methamphetamine, and marijuana.

Observers on social media were quick to call Fiorina out.

1119.png

News Moderator: Jacob Redmond 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: What Carly Fiorina Missed When She Compared Marijuana To Beer
Author: Alex Mierjeski
Photo Credit: The Washington Post

It's still not a gateway drug unless you are referring to the act of criminalizing its possession thereby driving it into the shadows where other much worse illegal substances are found. So yeah, if this is what you are referring to as marijuana being a gateway drug then the anti-marijuana argument simply fails when recreational marijuana is approved for adults over 21 or medical marijuana for patients with a Rx.

I honestly can't tell if people like her are just highly uneducated/ignorant on the subject of cannabis, have no personal ability to conduct unbiased research on their own, or just refuse to question anything they've been told in their life (ie. reefer madness). If cannabis is illegal it drives people to find cannabis from the black market. This is the same exact place where other illegal and often much more dangerous drugs are found.

I think the country, overall, is moving in the right direction. I just think that politicians need to be more candid about things.

I honestly can't tell if people like her are just highly uneducated/ignorant on the subject of cannabis, have no personal ability to conduct unbiased research on their own, or just refuse to question anything they've been told in their life (ie. reefer madness). If cannabis is illegal it drives people to find cannabis from the black market. This is the same exact place where other illegal and often much more dangerous drugs are found.

I think the country, overall, is moving in the right direction. I just think that politicians need to be more candid about things.

Highly uneducated on the subject is my guess. Like why drive cannabis into the blackmarket it makes no sense.

Back
Top Bottom