What did people do prior to the advent of carbon filters?

They weren't.

But people were (mostly) gardening under banks of fluorescent tubes, or doing their gardening outside. And it was easier to find a house off by itself to grow in, and convince its owner that you wouldn't be throwing parties, stealing the fixtures, or falling asleep in bed while smoking - and to do so via a simple polite conversation instead of a 27-page rental application, so it was cool. The first time you told the landlord that you'd made some sort of minor repair without first hitting him up for the funds to do so was also likely to be the last time you saw him.

I used to rent an old farmhouse. Like 200 years old (which isn't always a good thing), and not especially desirable - but it was sitting on just shy of 50 acres, and the nearest driveway to my driveway was a quarter-mile away and rambled all over hither and yon before coming out of the woods at a clearing where there was a nice house, the owner/resident of it used to fly smallish (mostly) twin-engine airplanes into and back out of a certain South American country (via the Bahamas) before he got old and decrepit - so he wasn't a problem, lol. Everything else was a mixture of old farms in varying stages of decay and long-ago abandoned properties that had completely reverted to woods/forest. Oh, and one county sheriff who I ran off the (gravel) road early one morning as I slid sideways around the curve in my station wagon, LMFAO. But he lived several miles past me and never gave me any stress (other than the one well-deserved chewing out).

The owner of the property was in her 90s, and had retired to Florida 20 years previously when her husband had died. She was so happy not to be pestered (and to receive a valid check each month) that, when I contacted her to inform her that I was moving out, she kept offering to set the rent lower and lower in hopes that I'd change my mind. I never even met her; some people I barely knew told me about the place when they were moving out, then left a door key in the barn and a rental agreement (from the landlord) on the kitchen counter. No carbon filter needed, there. It wasn't like the owner was going to get someone to drive her a thousand miles to inspect the place.

Before, IDK, 1991 or so when carbon air filters first started appearing on the (cannabis) scene, you could buy (or build) an ozone generator, but the Suzie Homemaker devices were kind of weak for the application, and building your own and then using it in an occupied residence could be dangerous; enough so that I no longer discuss how to build the things. However, properly used, they would basically destroy odor. You probably could have kept a slowly(?) decomposing corpse in a closet and no one would have noticed until the fluids began leaking out under the door (although I never tested the hypothesis ;) ).

Back
Top Bottom