Which State Will Be the First to Grow Hemp?

Marianne

North Dakota and California are in a race to be the first state in the U.S. to commercially grow industrial hemp since Wisconsin grew the last crop nearly 50 years ago. This week, each state will conduct important public hearings on the subject. The California Senate Public Safety Committee holds a hearing on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 on AB 1147, a bill that would affirmatively grant farmers the right to grow industrial hemp to produce seed and fiber, while North Dakota's Agriculture Commissioner Roger Johnson holds a hearing on Thursday, June 15, 2006 about rules expected to be finalized later this year that would license farmers to grow hemp under existing state law.

The hearings are taking place in the shadow of Canadian hemp farming which has seen steady growth over the last six years. This year, Canada is expected to grow a record 40,000 acres of industrial hemp. Nevertheless, rumors persist that the demand for hemp seed from U.S. food producers – whose sales are growing 50% each year – will create seed shortages before harvest again this summer, forcing buyers to go to Europe or China for seed. "American farmers are tired of looking around the world and seeing other farmers making healthy profits growing hemp for export to the U.S. They want change," says Vote Hemp President Eric Steenstra.

Support for state action on industrial hemp farming is growing among U.S. manufacturers whose appetite for hemp fiber, seed and oil is fueling the increased demand. For example, in the automotive industry, industrial hemp is used in the natural fiber composites that have rapidly replaced fiberglass as the material of choice for vehicle interiors. FlexForm, an Indiana manufacturer whose hemp-content materials are found in an estimated 2.5 million vehicles in North America today, uses approximately 250,000 pounds of hemp fiber per year. The company says industrial hemp could easily take a greater share of the 4 million pounds of natural fiber it uses yearly, as "hemp fiber possesses physical properties beneficial to our natural fiber-based composites." In addition, FlexForm says it would "gladly expand domestic purchases."

Patagonia, an environmentally conscious outdoor clothing manufacturer and retailer that sells hemp clothing at Whole Foods, has recently agreed to add its name to the list of businesses that support California's hemp bill. That list already includes Dr. Bronner's Magic Soaps (North America's top-selling natural soap company), Alterna (a high-end salon hair products company) and Nutiva (a rising star among innovative health food companies).

Seven states (Hawaii, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Montana, North Dakota and West Virginia) have changed their laws to give farmers an affirmative right to grow industrial hemp commercially or for research purposes. California's AB 1147 passed the state Assembly in January and is expected to be voted on in the Senate before August.

Newshawk: Happykid - 420 Magazine
Source: VoteHemp.com
Author: Adam Eidinger
Copyright: 2006 Vote Hemp, Inc.
Website: Vote Hemp - Industrial Hemp Information and Advocacy

o hell ya go ND.....ive been wantiin something good to happen out here for a long time now. do you know where i could go to check out any more info on this? id like to do what i can to help out my state. (even just this, would be somehting)

There's a few hemp farmers here that sell hemp stuff and if you ask nicely you can walk around their fields which is great and just imagine and hope that one day this field could be full of sticky icky ganja.

hey mad.....where could i find a hemp farmer at? i would like to check out a hemp field. i live really close to the canadian border in ND.

Back
Top Bottom