why do you remove males

wants_togrow

i have 12 plants. one about a month older than the rest, i beleive is a female

can i not let the males and females grow in the same space?

I know the male plant must pollinate the female but i do not understand when that is to be done and why the male must be removed.

can one male plant pollinate many females or vice versa.

please help im stressin.

you want to remove the males so the DO NOT pollinate the females.. remove as soon as you know they are males, you can see them about a week or so into flowering. they will have have no pistils and look like balls... yes one male can pollinate many females.

thanks hightide. so i need a totally different grow space for the males once they show sex? how can i seperate the male and female from each other but keep them in the same room... or in case garage.

thank you

Males are only good for pollen and pollen is only good if you want seeds. if a female gets pollinated by pollen she stops bud growth and concentrates on seed production. You need to read and read. Your questions tell me that your not grasping the grow scene as well as you need to. Click on the first link in my signature and read until you can't read anymore then read it again.

ive read that thread many times and have got lots of great info from it racefan but it still didnt seem to answer the question that i have in this moment.

i thought i had to have male plants to pollinate the fem for bud also, no only seeds. guess a misconception.

thanks for the info

THC is produced in the ovaries (buds) of the female cannabis plant only.

Males produce only pollen. This contains no THC.

The pollen from the male is created to fertilize the female, which then produces seeds.

The male plant produces neither seeds nor THC (at useable levels).

When the male has pollinated the female, the female puts energy into developing those seeds and much less energy towards creating the resin that contains THC and other cannibinoids.

This is why the presence of seeds greatly effects potential potency, and why seeded marijuana is not as desirable as Sensimilla ("without seeds"). :peace:

If you think your plant is a male or hermie, get rid of it!! Take it to a different room and carefully destroy & dispose of it in a covert manner.
There is nothing worse than waiting all this time, watching your females start to produce buds and then the next night they start showing seeds, (you got pollinated) it sucks more than you can believe.
Plant and nurture many seedlings, because some are going to be male. (unless they are clones or feminized seeds)
I'm a newbie on my 3rd grow. My first grow i got lucky and produced about an ounce of killer indica out of 4 plants. The rest of the plants died. My second grow got pollinated, I was devastated. My newest grow has several plants in bud, and several trying. I'm pulling about 1 plant a week due to sex.
One looked iffy, so I put it in a different room outside and watched it for a few days, but it turned out male/hermie and was promptly destroyed.

Short version supplied by Sully508 : males bad, females good!

Back
Top Bottom