(+)-WIN 55,212-2, A Novel Cannabinoid Receptor Agonist, Exerts Antidystonic

Truth Seeker

Abstract
The effects of the novel high affinity cannabinoid receptor agonist (+)-WIN 55,212-2 ((R)-4,5-dihydro-2-methyl-4(4-morphoinylmethyl)-1-(1-naphthalen ylcarbonyl)-6H-pyrrolo[3,2,1-ij]quinolin-6-one) on severity of dystonia were investigated in mutant Syrian hamsters with primary generalized dystonia. Following injections of (+)-WIN 55,212-2 (1.0-5.0 mg/kg i.p.) a dose-dependent reduction of the severity of dystonia was observed. At antidystonic doses (2.5 and 5.0 mg/kg i.p.) (+)-WIN 55,212-2 caused a reduction of spontaneous motor activity and catalepsy. 1 mg/kg of (+)-WIN 55,212-2 exhibited neither antidystonic effects nor any side effects. However, the coadministration of 1.0 mg/kg (+)-WIN 55,212-2 with an ineffective dose of diazepam (0.1 mg/kg i.p.) exerted antidystonic effects in the absence of severe side effects. Although psychotropic effects of cannabinoids, such as (+)-WIN 55,212-2, limit the therapeutical utility of cannabinoids, the present data indicate that cannabinoids exert antidystonic effects and that low doses of cannabinoids may increase antidystonic efficacy of benzodiazepines.

Source: (+)-WIN 55,212-2, a novel cannabinoid recept... [Eur J Pharmacol. 1994] - PubMed - NCBI

Back
Top Bottom