Medical Marijuana Still A Pipe Dream In South Africa

Robert Celt

Although World Cancer Day was commemorated yesterday, South Africa's chance of using medical marijuana still lingers.

The Medical Innovation Bill was tabled in Parliament in 2014 by late IFP MP Mario Ambrosini — who took his life as a result of suffering from lung cancer.

According to IFP MP Narend Singh, the bill was being processed.

He said it had been sitting before the portfolio committee on health since early last year.

"The bill has gone through to the Medicines Control Council," he said. "We are looking at amending it following informal meetings with the ANC."

Ambrosini shot himself after battling with cancer. Visibly weakened when tabling the bill, he claimed to be using marijuana as treatment at the time.

In advocating for alternate treatment, he pleaded with President Jacob Zuma to recognise the drug's uses.

"I was supposed to die many months ago, but I am here because I had the courage of taking illegal treatments in Italy in the form of bicarbonate of sodium, and here in South Africa in the form of cannabis ... marijuana ... dagga."

Ambrosini insisted that he would otherwise be packed with morphine and unable to address Zuma, were it not for the illegal drug.

According to the World Health Organisation, cancer is among the leading causes of death globally. The number of new cases is expected to rise by about 70% over the next two decades.

According to the Cancer Association of South Africa's website: "[Cannabis] slows down the activity of the central nervous system and the messages going between the brain and the body. "Commercially available cannabinoids such as dronabinol and nabilone are approved for the treatment of cancer-related side effects such as nausea and pain."

Medical-Marijuana-Doctor.jpg

News Moderator: Robert Celt 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Medical Marijuana Still A Pipe Dream In South Africa
Author: Sunehra Maikoo
Photo Credit: None found

Back
Top Bottom