3 States Where A Legal Marijuana Vote Is Guaranteed This November

Robert Celt

This could be a transformative year in more ways than one. Not only are voters heading to the polls in six months to decide who should become the next President of the United States of America, but voters in quite a few states could be heading to their respective state polls to decide whether or not to expand the use of medical or recreational marijuana within their state.

Since California approved Prop 215 in 1996 to allow for the compassionate use of medical marijuana in select patients, the currently illicit substance at the federal level has expanded like a weed. Today, following the recent legislative approval of medical marijuana in Pennsylvania, there are two dozen states that allow physicians to prescribe marijuana for medical use. Although the ailments can vary from state to state, many terminal cancers, glaucoma, and epilepsy are good examples of ailments with near universal acceptance across legal medical marijuana states.

Additionally, four states that have approved the use of recreational marijuana since 2012. The most shining example of the four has to be Colorado, which has generated more than $1 billion in legal marijuana sales (medical and recreational combined) between March. 1, 2015 and Feb. 29, 2016, and produced $135 million in tax and licensing revenue in 2015 that can be used by schools, law enforcement, and drug abuse programs.

But it's the potentially widespread expansion of marijuana in November 2016 that has supporters and investors excited. This could represent the single biggest year in terms of state approvals ever – and the more state approvals the marijuana industry logs, the more seriously lawmakers on Capitol Hill will have to consider a possible rescheduling of the marijuana plant.

Residents in these three states will absolutely be voting on legal marijuana this November
Whereas quite a few states are still mulling whether or not to add a marijuana proposal to their ballots this November, three states have already confirmed that a marijuana initiative will be on the ballot this fall.

Nevada

The only state that wasn't a surprise heading into 2016 was Nevada, which announced in November 2015 that a legal recreational marijuana initiative would be on its 2016 ballot.

Like the recreation-legal states before it, Nevada's legalization initiative, known as Question 2, would allow adults ages 21 and up to purchase up to one ounce of marijuana, and use the tax revenue from the sale of recreational marijuana to boost the K-12 education budget within the state. An excise tax of 15% would be enacted at the wholesale level, with existing sales taxes applying to the product at the retail level, too. Also, the state would require businesses to obtain recreational marijuana licenses, and would likely restrict the number of licenses issued.

Considering the success of Nevada's medical marijuana industry, and the fact that it's home to "Sin City," you'd think an approval would be a no-brainer. But keep in mind that even "Greenest state," Oregon, failed to win recreational marijuana approval on its first go-around in 2012.

Florida

"If it at first you don't succeed, keep on trying." This should be the motto of the medical marijuana campaign in Florida following the ever-so-close failure of a medical marijuana amendment in Nov. 2014. Because a medical marijuana program in Florida would require a change to its constitution, the amendment needed a 60% "yes" vote to pass instead of a simple majority. In 2014, 57.6% of the votes cast were in favor of its approval.

This year, as of late January, nearly 693,000 signatures had been collected by medical marijuana support groups to get an amendment on Florida's ballot this fall. The result is the Florida Right to Medical Marijuana Initiative, which is also known as Amendment 2. If approved, the Florida Department of Health would issue ID cards to eligible patients and regulate marijuana production and growing centers. Further, medical marijuana use would be limited to "debilitating" medical conditions as defined by a physician.

Florida's older, retired population tends to have a more negative view of marijuana as a whole, but the growing acceptance of medical marijuana nationwide could provide the push to legalization in November. For what it's worth, a poll released in early March from Public Policy Polling found that 65% of respondents are in favor of approving Amendment 2.

Maine

The most recent addition to the list is Maine, which announced last week that it had gathered enough signatures to get a recreational marijuana initiative, known as the Marijuana Legalization Act, on the ballot this fall.

Like other recreational marijuana states, Maine aims to legalize the sale of marijuana to adults ages 21 and up, would impose an excise tax of 10% on recreational marijuana sales, and could limit the number of licenses it issues to dispensaries within the state. What's a bit different is it would allow users to possess up to 2.5 ounces of marijuana per the initiative. Adults may also possess up to six flowering plants in their household.

Not to sound like a broken record, but an Oct. 2015 poll from Critical Insights founds that 65% of Maine voters support the recreational approval of marijuana, the same percentage of Floridians that favor the approval of medical marijuana. As a whole, Gallup's Oct. 2015 poll found that 58% of respondents nationwide favor the legalization of marijuana.

A word of caution

Though we could be looking at a major step forward for the marijuana industry in 2016, it remains to be seen if the federal government will change its stance anytime soon, if ever.

Without the help of the federal government in rescheduling marijuana, businesses involved in the industry will continue to face a number of inherent disadvantages, including minimal access to basic banking services, such as a checking account, and will likely owe high corporate income taxes due to not being able to take normal business deductions. Legal marijuana businesses may also struggle to compete with the black market on price due to license and tax fees passed along to the consumer in the process.

In other words, success at the macro level doesn't mean investors will be coming along for the ride. Unless Capitol Hill alters its stance on marijuana, I'd suggest monitoring the industry from the sidelines.

marijuana-pixabay16_large.jpg

News Moderator: Robert Celt 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: 3 States Where A Legal Marijuana Vote Is Guaranteed This November
Author: Staff
Photo Credit: PIXABAY

I believe motleyfool is a bad website to get any cannabis news from, period. You also keep leaving out Arkansas, which also lost by a narrow margin, last election cycle, and has snow acquired over 80,000 signatures and climbing. We were required to gather only 68,000, but we are shooting for 120,000, to make ABSOLUTELY sure, we have enough to get it done. Then it is up to the voters. "If it at first you don't succeed, keep on trying" would definitely apply here, as well. The Arkansas Medical Cannabis Act is on track to be in front of voters this year, I am confident of this. I am not however, excited about the narrow-minded preachers, who keep using the 'bully pulpit' to tell lies to the congregations and mislead them with their stupid "Reefer Madness" rhetoric. Along with Congressmen who continue to ignore this whole matter like it doesn't even exist, to Gov. Asa Hutchinson, who joins them in the darkness of lies and religious mind control. Oh, did I mention they are GOP? Even with the GOP members who openly support the bills and sign on, we still have a few dimwits.

My 22 cents. (Inflation has it's effects, too!)

NAMASTE

I believe motleyfool is a bad website to get any cannabis news from, period. You also keep leaving out Arkansas, which also lost by a narrow margin, last election cycle, and has snow acquired over 80,000 signatures and climbing. We were required to gather only 68,000, but we are shooting for 120,000, to make ABSOLUTELY sure, we have enough to get it done. Then it is up to the voters. "If it at first you don't succeed, keep on trying" would definitely apply here, as well. The Arkansas Medical Cannabis Act is on track to be in front of voters this year, I am confident of this. I am not however, excited about the narrow-minded preachers, who keep using the 'bully pulpit' to tell lies to the congregations and mislead them with their stupid "Reefer Madness" rhetoric. Along with Congressmen who continue to ignore this whole matter like it doesn't even exist, to Gov. Asa Hutchinson, who joins them in the darkness of lies and religious mind control. Oh, did I mention they are GOP? Even with the GOP members who openly support the bills and sign on, we still have a few dimwits.

My 22 cents. (Inflation has it's effects, too!)

NAMASTE

Iagree that Motley Fool is a bad website to get news from - cannabis or not - but there is a segment of the population that goes there looking for news. Robert Celt and the other moderators post some of these articles because they help us hear the information being spood fed to others - like knowing about what the preachers say and the lies their parishioners swallow.

I read an article on "The Weed Blog" May 19 about the fight to make Cannabis legal in Arizona.According to CRMLA,(The Campaign to Regulate Marijuana like Alcohol).They hope to have a legalize Marijuana referendum on the State Ballot in November as well.They are accusing the opposition of accepting 10k from the alcohol industry,to persuade voters to say no to legal Cannabis.Anyone interested in the legalize cannabis movement in the US needs to read this.Very interesting and possibly very dangerous.I for one,would be very interested in your thoughts after you have red the article.

Saw this article and I think California is lacking on this. Once they completely legalize it will be a total game changer. Every other state will need to legalize. We're getting there.

So long as the money keeps rolling in then it is just a question of time, I am sure that all the big players are already gearing up to make the move to legalization but until they are ready to go in full swing so they can drive out any and all of the competition, they will wait and make sure it is not legal till they are ready.

California almost seems that way now. I would be real surprised if it didn't pass. Of course it might take ten years before they give out any biz license.But you never know. I just hope they are affordable.

California almost seems that way now. I would be real surprised if it didn't pass. Of course it might take ten years before they give out any biz license.But you never know. I just hope they are affordable.

I believe California has 7 tiers of just grow licenses. Larger fees for larger growers.

The overall strategy seems to be 'milk the cows' not 'kill the geese that lay golden eggs.'

I believe California has 7 tiers of just grow licenses. Larger fees for larger growers.

The overall strategy seems to be 'milk the cows' not 'kill the geese that lay golden eggs.'

But they are giving those out yet. Last I heard 2018. But it also allows counties to put thier own restrictions on first. Which many have (canorml has list) now put outright bans on cultivation. In fact a lot of counties are pushing bans on commercial grows even up north. I believe lake county is almost there and grass valley also has a outdoor ban.in mendocino you have to pay the sheriff a extra tax and they can show up and search your property anytime without notice. I believe humboldt is the only county in the emerald triangle that has loosened up this year. I read somewhere on the net yesterday that even Oakland is considering tighter restrictions. So I'm my view it has gotten harder for patients in most places in California since the passing of the new laws allowing profit and licensing.
But I do believe that the recreational bills change that and put more control in voters hands. But not totally sure.

But they are giving those out yet. Last I heard 2018. But it also allows counties to put thier own restrictions on first. Which many have (canorml has list) now put outright bans on cultivation. In fact a lot of counties are pushing bans on commercial grows even up north. I believe lake county is almost there and grass valley also has a outdoor ban.in mendocino you have to pay the sheriff a extra tax and they can show up and search your property anytime without notice. I believe humboldt is the only county in the emerald triangle that has loosened up this year. I read somewhere on the net yesterday that even Oakland is considering tighter restrictions. So I'm my view it has gotten harder for patients in most places in California since the passing of the new laws allowing profit and licensing.
But I do believe that the recreational bills change that and put more control in voters hands. But not totally sure.

I don't expect bans on private growing, such as in Modesto, will be upheld in the courts. Commercial growing bans will be upheld - but I don't expect that to restrict the total amount of commercial marijuana grown. Supply will be grown to meet demand.

Oakland, and every other municipality had to consider rule changes early this year because of a flaw in the state bills that passed. I had heard that Oakland was considering changing rules about selling homegrown to dispensaries - but they pretty much have to remove a few rules that conflict with the new state rules. Excluding their competitors, I believe there is still strong support for Harborside and Oaksterdam University. I don't know. I don't live in or near Oakland anymore.

I agree there are still communities and counties in California that are scared of Marijuana. These things do take time. Once Grandma, in the midst of discussing her and everyone else's medical complaints, starts talking about the wonders of Medical Marijuana that she and those around her have experienced - prohibition will crumble at all levels.

I don't expect bans on private growing, such as in Modesto, will be upheld in the courts. Commercial growing bans will be upheld - but I don't expect that to restrict the total amount of commercial marijuana grown. Supply will be grown to meet demand.

Oakland, and every other municipality had to consider rule changes early this year because of a flaw in the state bills that passed. I had heard that Oakland was considering changing rules about selling homegrown to dispensaries - but they pretty much have to remove a few rules that conflict with the new state rules. Excluding their competitors, I believe there is still strong support for Harborside and Oaksterdam University. I don't know. I don't live in or near Oakland anymore.

I agree there are still communities and counties in California that are scared of Marijuana. These things do take time. Once Grandma, in the midst of discussing her and everyone else's medical complaints, starts talking about the wonders of Medical Marijuana that she and those around her have experienced - prohibition will crumble at all levels.
A friend told me if the new recreational bills pass it would force county and city governments to put growing bans to a vote. But what I have read and heard from my lawyers that california court has already decided to let person medical growing bans stand. I believe the case was in Fresno. Then it was upheld in 2014 by supreme court. Correct if I am wrong by the supreme court is the last stop. And the new California laws definitely allow cultivation bans. If you look on canorml the list is there and seems to be growing quick. Those bans are on all medical cultivation including personal. Some just ban outdoor.I hope I am wrong? I do think your right about when old grannys are taking about it change will come but I hope she is 65+ right not and not 20. Because the California government is the biggest procrastinater out there. But I am up north and shouldn't complain.we have it pretty good here for now.but the sheriff can and will show up with a chipper and cut your plants up.even if you are not over legal limits. Just because the plant are too big. And then just drive away.

A friend told me if the new recreational bills pass it would force county and city governments to put growing bans to a vote. But what I have read and heard from my lawyers that california court has already decided to let person medical growing bans stand. I believe the case was in Fresno. Then it was upheld in 2014 by supreme court. Correct if I am wrong by the supreme court is the last stop. And the new California laws definitely allow cultivation bans. If you look on canorml the list is there and seems to be growing quick. Those bans are on all medical cultivation including personal. Some just ban outdoor.I hope I am wrong? I do think your right about when old grannys are taking about it change will come but I hope she is 65+ right not and not 20. Because the California government is the biggest procrastinater out there. But I am up north and shouldn't complain.we have it pretty good here for now.but the sheriff can and will show up with a chipper and cut your plants up.even if you are not over legal limits. Just because the plant are too big. And then just drive away.

The supreme court didn't quite uphold the ban, in a 3-4 vote they refused to hear an appeal to overturn the ban - leaving the door open for places like Fresno to write a new ban. While this makes the appelate court decison stronger, it's not quite a supreme court decision level of difficult to challenge.

Still worse than I remembered, the new laws don't apply to personal medical cultivation.
Cal Supreme Court Refuses to Hear Case On Patient Cultivation Rights | California NORML

The supreme court didn't quite uphold the ban, in a 3-4 vote they refused to hear an appeal to overturn the ban - leaving the door open for places like Fresno to write a new ban. While this makes the appelate court decison stronger, it's not quite a supreme court decision level of difficult to challenge.

Still worse than I remembered, the new laws don't apply to personal medical cultivation.
Cal Supreme Court Refuses to Hear Case On Patient Cultivation Rights | California NORML
That make sense.

And sorry about a sherifsf with a chippers. It takes a special level of assholosity to be a sheriff.

Yup it sucks. But it also shows that the government including sheriff's and courts have never really even respected the 215 laws. Practically ignored sb420. The sheriff's and prosecutors still regularly get on the media telling people they can't make money from meds. But sb420 clearly changed that allowing compensation for your work. Also it talked about excessive and "illegal profits". Which in a legal framework means there is legal profits. I know from personal experience that the court sytem acts like sb420 isn't even there. So much the drag a case on for 3 years rather then have these laws tested in court. But then because of mandatory minimum sentences testing these laws in court would result in very harsh prisons terms for culivation if you lose.5 years mandatory in cali. They do what they want and even if the new laws are put into action the pigs are gonna do what just that. Cut your shit and tell u to fuck off or worse.there is nothing people can do about it. My lawyer told me that even tho the laws say "innocent until proven..." the jury believes the sheriff and almost always sides with the government.

" the jury believes the sheriff and almost always sides with the government.[/QUOTE]

This is one of the reasons I tell the ignorant prohibitionists the truth as to why cannabis was banned in the first place. I also explain the lie of cannabis being classified as schedule 1. And hemp? That's really stupid. When people realize they have been duped, they won't support the fraudulent liars. The way I see it, anyone who is still a prohibitionist after knowing the true is either corrupt or supports corruption.

Here's a new one I've started to use on people who say cannabis is the gateway to harder drugs. I ask them, of the government's list of hard drugs, name one drug that's harder than cannabis. They can't. If they say meth, meth is schedule 2 so it is softer. Heroin is just as dangerous n deadly so it's not harder either. Therefore, it is not possible for cannabis to be a gateway to harder drugs.

Here's a new one I've started to use on people who say cannabis is the gateway to harder drugs. I ask them, of the government's list of hard drugs, name one drug that's harder than cannabis. They can't. If they say meth, meth is schedule 2 so it is softer. Heroin is just as dangerous n deadly so it's not harder either. Therefore, it is not possible for cannabis to be a gateway to harder drugs.
I have never thought about that. Funny.they should stop doing all those pussy drugs and become a hardcore cannabis junkies.my friends cousin was a methy. I gave him a real big fat ass wax hit. Knocked his ass out. Refused to try a secound...couldn't hang.

1st off the true gateway drugs are beer, wine and tobacco. I have yet to meet anyone who has ever smoked MJ who had not tried beer wine or tobacco before they tried MJ and yes it is beer and wine not alcohol.. I have yet to meet anyone who said Hmm I think I will try whiskey 1st.

your logic though is good at explaining that if it is the hardest kind of drug how can it possibly be a gateway drug :thumb:

1st off the true gateway drugs are beer, wine and tobacco. I have yet to meet anyone who has ever smoked MJ who had not tried beer wine or tobacco before they tried MJ and yes it is beer and wine not alcohol.. I have yet to meet anyone who said Hmm I think I will try whiskey 1st.

your logic though is good at explaining that if it is the hardest kind of drug how can it possibly be a gateway drug :thumb:

Or to show how retarded the American drug policy is.at least that's how I took it. But of course the scheduling of drugs is not about potency but weather or not it has a medical value or not.

Back
Top Bottom