AK: Marijuana Industry Gets Back To Business Of Cannabis

Ron Strider

Voters in Fairbanks and the Fairbanks North Star Borough embraced the Interior's cannabis industry Oct. 3, when they decisively shut down propositions A and 1. Now some of the entrepreneurs feel they can finally move full steam ahead.

At Pakalolo Supply Company, where Alaska's first legal marijuana sale was made in October 2016, a black cloud has lifted, co-owner Keenan Hollister said.

"Even within our facility, expansion was on hold," Hollister said. "We have a lot of square footage we aren't using. We've been piecing together small grow rooms and now we can invest money into our own business instead of the campaign. Now we get to just run a business like business people do. That black cloud has lifted. Ever since day one, when we made the first legal sale, we've had that over our heads."

At Good Cannabis, co-owner Greg Allison said the company finally can move from short-term to long-term goals.

"For businesses like ours, we can consistently give back to the community," Allison said.

"We had our first, First Friday. ... 5 percent of our sales went back to Stone Soup Café. We raised $150, and that was the first one."

Allison said the cannabis industry's image is not a façade.

"We want to make sure we continue on our mission and support the community," he said.

Allison said he can focus on his employees' professional development and well-being, too, now that the propositions are past.

An active member of the Alaska Marijuana Industry Association, Allison said he will continue with fact-based cannabis education and safety in the community. He said the AMIA will have booths at some of the upcoming winter expos to continue this educational outreach.

Shaun Tacke, a borough assemblyman and co-owner of cannabis concentrates manufacturer Good Titrations, said the business had to put the brakes on investing and take a deep breath before moving forward.

Tacke said Good Titrations is investing in concentrates production, and he expects a new vape-pen line to be released at the end of the month. They also are considering their own retail and cultivation facilities.

Grass Station 49 is looking at expanding into two more retail locations.

"It's boomin'," owner Gary Evans said. "We're looking at opening a second location at the corner of Chena Hot Springs and Steese Highway. The license will probably come through December-Janurary-ish. And then a third toward Easter. This was a big relief for everyone in the entire industry. People can focus on the business. We don't have to worry about whether or not we are going to go bankrupt."

Evans hopes that anyone who enters the business operates safely so the industry avoids a black eye.

"It is a professional industry," he said. "Most of us are born and raised in Fairbanks and there's hometown pride. My family is in everything: mining, construction, real estate and now this."

Evans said he hopes the rest of the states will fall in line with legalized cannabis sales and that prohibition ends on the federal level, too.

Hollister said everything was on the line and it's "really cool" the Fairbanks community spoke loud and clear its acceptance of the pot industry.

"All of the honks when we were out there waving signs seemed to translate into votes," he said. "People don't look at me like I'm a weird stoner dude. They look at me like I'm a businessman."

Indoor_Grow_-_Eric_Engman.jpg

News Moderator: Ron Strider 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Marijuana industry gets back to business of cannabis | Local News | newsminer.com
Author: Kevin Baird
Photo Credit: Eric Engman

Back
Top Bottom