1000w HID or 420w CFL

KiwiKing

So i'm debating which would be better; a 1000w HID setup or a 420w CFL setup (1600w HID equivalent) (four 105w lights). Any insights?

---would 5 105w cfl bulbs be too much for a 4x4 space? Is there such thing as too much light?

I'm thinking 4-5 2700k lights for flower, and 3 5000k lights for veg. Money is not really a factor.

A 1000watts will give the better results any day. But heat maybe a issue! If you can't solve that problem then go flo. I see you said money is no issue so go both Veg with flos and flower with 1000 watts for killer bud production. ;)

150,000 lumens for the 1000watt HID .... 40,000 lumens for the 416 watts flos . They may be the same or more watts but do not produce the output. LUMEN: A measurement of light output; refers to the amount of light emitted by one foot candle that falls on one square foot of surface located at a distance of one foot from the candle....
WATT(W): A unit used to measure electric power.

Well i'm only planning on growing 4 plants for now but was going for the 1000 watt so i can expand (its a switchable ballast). The light im ordering is air cooled so im not to worried about heat, plus its winter here so im just gonna vent into my room (maybe i wont need the wall heater). The one thing i was wondering about was what fan should i get to cool the lights? I found an inline fan on amazon, i think it was like 30 cfm or something, for $30 -- is this any good? SO about the lights, just veg with floros?

edit: I like that that ballast is digital...

Well i'm only planning on growing 4 plants for now but was going for the 1000 watt so i can expand (its a switchable ballast). The light im ordering is air cooled so im not to worried about heat, plus its winter here so im just gonna vent into my room (maybe i wont need the wall heater). The one thing i was wondering about was what fan should i get to cool the lights? I found an inline fan on amazon, i think it was like 30 cfm or something, for $30 -- is this any good? SO about the lights, just veg with floros?

edit: I like that that ballast is digital...

Rule of thumb 200cfm for every 1000 watts of light so 30cfm fan wouldn't do anything for you. You would need a inline exhaust fan that flows 200cfm.
Yeah veg with floros but if you have the money check out the "BadBoy T5 Lighting system." It has more lumens than a 1000w H.I.D light and no heat.

Rule of thumb 200cfm for every 1000 watts of light so 30cfm fan wouldn't do anything for you. You would need a inline exhaust fan that flows 200cfm.
Yeah veg with floros but if you have the money check out the "BadBoy T5 Lighting system." It has more lumens than a 1000w H.I.D light and no heat.

No heat? Please explain how something creates light w/o heat?:scratchinghead::hmmmm:

No heat? Please explain how something creates light w/o heat?:scratchinghead::hmmmm:

Although it doesn't apply here, a lot of chemical reactions produce light without heat. Chemiluminescence is one example. The light sticks people use to see, or wear for decorations, are chemiluminescent. The most familiar types of chemiluminescent reactions occur in living things, like fireflies. Chemiluminescent reactions that occur in living organisms are called bioluminescent reactions. You know those stickers that glow in the dark after being exposed to light? That's photoluminescence, and produces no heat either.

It's also said that a light wave traveling freely through the universe has no heat associated with it...

Actually it takes two of the 12 lamp to surpass the 1000..which would cost 800.00 bones.. And they do create heat, just not as much..... Lets get our facts straight here people.......

Yes, the floros use less electricity then a 1000.. Do I think it is better, depends on the situation... Me personally, I would use cfl/floros for the seedling stage and then move them to the MH to finish off vegging...

For floro's that badboy system looks pretty sweet.....

That bad boy seems a bit overkill for new clones. A regular 4 foot x 8 light setup seems perfect IMO. Based on the size of the Bad boy, it seems like a 1000w would provide more lumens per square foot than a 2 system bad boy setup, and at nearly half the cost -- of course this would depend on how high you has the lights raised.

Back
Top Bottom