24 hrs of dark before harvest to increase resin?

Disappointed that this thread has slowed to a stop. I was enjoying the banter, imagining Robert DeNiro posting on 420, and learning Chuckineze. Plus I was witnessing the effects of dry times. Only on 420! =)

You know what I think. When we are used to being intimately close to our plants in flower, viewing them daily, we do not notice subtle daily changes as much as if you do not see them for 24 hours or longer.
After you have not seen your plants in the light for 24 hours, of course it is going to seem as if there has been inordinate crystal growth in that time. But you are comparing apples and oranges. You are so used to seeing results 12 hourly, that after 24 hours of dark, you have had a longer time comparison between looks. I'm high right now so I hope I have explained it. It is not the dark that is the relevent factor, it is the time difference between views.
Years back I had 2 flowering rooms. I did this exact test and compared 2 marked and identical buds, one 24 hrs dark, and the other 12. I allowed 3 days. At the end of 3 days I checked both buds and they were same as, just 3 days older.

Harvest in the early am when out doors the thc is at its fullest early in the am! The plant still produces thc at night and fills the glands with it to drink from and protect it from bugs and such! I have done the 48 hrs of dark befor harvest with my indoor and it DOES work to load down the buds with thc! The glands fill to almost explode. Not a wives tale! i took one plant and kept it on the 12 12 and the rest in darkness for the last 48 the ones in dark were at least 25/50 percent fuller looked like someone took 25#'s sugar and coated the buds. If you have not tried it don't Knock it and say it wont work! Go Forth and Grow!!! Young Seedlings!

I'm no expert Irish but I have read in many places that the reason for harvesting right before lights on would be as you said to remove any nutes from the plant. At night the plant becomes dormant and all the nutes are return to the roots. When the lights come on the engine starts up and the plant goes to work feeding itself. Just something I read.

THC is in the resin glands that produce oils and such. Another word for resin glands are trichomes. A extremely oily resinous plant would be like The Hog, Hashplant, White widows(Any white strain), AK47 or just about any plant cover so heavily with trich that the buds look sugarcoated.
Your resin glands would be comepletely clear(Never fully matured and opal looking) making it more of a total head high which to me is uppity with no couch lock quality.
Harvesting at 6 weeks is a premature harvest via premy buds.
I don't mean to offend but you sometimes need a fellow grower to point things out so next grow become better. Its why a lot of us are hear for.
I also don't sugar coat my words when I believe another fellow grower makes a poor judgement call. If nobody points out that you could have done better, how are you going to know?

Very good. You shouldn't sugar coat words when it comes to some areas. If you want to get better at something then read, do your research and ask questions.

yep by acident in 1981 and was out for 3 days .i forgot to pay electric bill lmao. but yes. i do it for every crop had to prove it. i have posted about it before. lotta disbeleave here in 420 on this subject. glad to see another verification. my method is this last 14 days to 10 days.
all water mostly ice at roots[hydro or soil] for 7 days reg light 12/12. then off for 72 hrs no water let them dry in the dark fans stay on. then 24hrs of light no exhaust till i am at 85dgf. then 1 to 5 days 12/12 i watch them close the last few weeks no silver tricomes and full bracs ect.
i dont take off leaf either. they really explode out big time and get way stony. then i do my airbud dry/cure method.
it works with all strains i have did alot . also if your plants have a big ass stretch in the begining try 3 days of dark to start them in flower. the strech is less and way more nodes and bigger buds. youll have to tie up the weight of the buds or your stems break.
works way better with sativas and sativa dominant strains very good with indys too. also black light[uv] to start early tricomes. hehehehe. youll have to ask for more on uv.lol.
i did only the dark part before doing the other stuff and the combo works even better.

i did that on my last harvest and they were 2 differnt strains and it seemd to impact 1 alot more over the other but even then they were both pretty sticky nugs id have to agree with the theory, maybe on my current grow when i harvest ill do a photo comparison just for the sake of decent expierment lol and these are all the same strain am seeing 1 other pheno though its confused lol

Sweet Mango Auto Grow

Here is a bud that was cold finished for dry and cure , very crystallized and was also oily when finished. The flavor was better than the bud I was smoking that the seeds came from <3

PP_HG.jpg

here is a bud that was cold finished for dry and cure , very crystallized and was also oily when finished. The flavor was better than the bud i was smoking that the seeds came from <3

pp_hg.jpg

it was by accident that i discovered the 24 to 72 hr darkness before harvest. And i experimented like crazy to prove it.
Also
trimming leaf off during any part of the grow and harvest is a waste of time. Only take off what is dead and dieing [i.e. 60% yellowing]. Unless doing mother plants.
I manage way over 60 grows. Like breathing it is easy to do. Newbie to expert growers. All have report noticeable and improved duration and stonier buds with better yields.

it was by accident that i discovered the 24 to 72 hr darkness before harvest. And i experimented like crazy to prove it.
Also
trimming leaf off during any part of the grow and harvest is a waste of time. Only take off what is dead and dieing [i.e. 60% yellowing]. Unless doing mother plants.
I manage way over 60 grows. Like breathing it is easy to do. Newbie to expert growers. All have report noticeable and improved duration and stonier buds with better yields.

I believe in stress finishes :) +reps eh

I'm finishing 2 plants of the same strain at 2 different times, so one will have only the 12 hr deprivation, but for the second I will do a 24 hr deprivation and see for myself. Not enough to vouch for or contest against, but will offer some measure of testimonial evidence.

i'm finishing 2 plants of the same strain at 2 different times, so one will have only the 12 hr deprivation, but for the second i will do a 24 hr deprivation and see for myself. Not enough to vouch for or contest against, but will offer some measure of testimonial evidence.
its 1 to 3 days [darkness] depending on strain and soil-medium etc also being dry or moist and plants with all their leafs on. Also the last 3 weeks are 11 hrs on and 13 hrs off trigering further genetic codes in the survival mode. Indica and indica dominant hybrids show very amazing results and only noticeable results with sativa and sativa dominant hybrids.
The push comes from the plants basic genetics to survive and protect the seed by useing its own resources for protection.[ie. Its dieing throws for survival of its species].
So in a controlled enviroment with clones from the same height from the same parent with everything else being the same except the above mentioned. You will get the results.

its 1 to 3 days [darkness] depending on strain and soil-medium etc also being dry or moist and plants with all their leafs on. Also the last 3 weeks are 11 hrs on and 13 hrs off trigering further genetic codes in the survival mode. Indica and indica dominant hybrids show very amazing results and only noticeable results with sativa and sativa dominant hybrids.
The push comes from the plants basic genetics to survive and protect the seed by useing its own resources for protection.[ie. Its dieing throws for survival of its species].
So in a controlled enviroment with clones from the same height from the same parent with everything else being the same except the above mentioned. You will get the results.

Your conditions for success are very specific for a process that you claim is a natural reaction. I've done this before and I personally believe this falls into stoner folklore.

I'm still waiting for the day when someone will show me that I'm wrong or doing it wrong. Unfortunately there is a lot more people that say it works because they say it works and then there's people like me that say they notice little to no difference.

Hopefully, more will put in the effort to do a controlled comparison and post results. I would love to learn how to increase resin production.

My father was a grower for 45 years before he passed. He swore by the dark and scoring the stems.... I believe that they do effect them in a way beneficial to out end goal. There is science behind it if you simply look for it. Don't listen to me or anyone else tho, go and research it somewhere without asking where any 16 year old with the Internet can answer you. That's my two cents. ;)

My father was a grower for 45 years before he passed. He swore by the dark and scoring the stems.... I believe that they do effect them in a way beneficial to out end goal. There is science behind it if you simply look for it. Don't listen to me or anyone else tho, go and research it somewhere without asking where any 16 year old with the Internet can answer you. That's my two cents. ;)

I'm sorry for your loss. Sincerely.

On the other side, where is your easy to find science to back up your claims? In no way am I saying your father is wrong--he could be right and I may be wrong. I'm not trying to be a dick, but other than this guy says it's better I've never seen any kind of controlled experiment or scientific data to back that up. Even Jorge Cervantes says in his bible that "growers do this and say the buds are more resinous." That's not science, that's a comment on what others claim without the science to back it up. He leaves it at that.

If you can back up what you say with an easy search, please do it. There are obviously people here that want to learn. I want to learn. School us and we'll all be better off. :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom