400W Magnetic Ballast questions

Unfortunately, I'm in South Africa, where grow equipment isn't so cheap, and I've already spent more than I wanted to. I'm intent on finishing this, but I can't see it being cheaper scrapping my current ballast and buying a magnetic one.

I started with an initial budget as well and went way over!! lol. The best thing to do is budget everything you need for a successful grow, and then double it. You will always end up spending more because you will either find new things, or find out that something you thought would work wont work, etc. Good luck man! you will get it sorted

"For High Pressure Sodium or Metal Halide lamp with external superimposed ignitor"
There's two slots to insert wires, one say 450v, the other 4mm².

Anyone know whether I'll need a double breaker if my mains is already 240v?

For HID I run only magnetic ballasts. One trick I found was get a small 4 inch fan and blow air over the ballast. You can run it 24\7 for years and it will not rise above room temperature. If you keep it cool with a fan it will probably out live you.
Same goes for lamps........air cool them and you reduce your chance of a problem considerably. If the ballast is in a box you need to open one side so the air can circulate around the transformer.
Cant help you with the wiring but as other posters mentioned you will need some kind of igniter.

A single pull breaker and a double pull breaker doesn't matter. It is the amount of amps that the ballets pulls and what the line is capable of handling

Back
Top Bottom