4x4 Tent vs BC Northern Lights Room Mate

Nick11

Folks, I have decided to start my own grow op for personal use. I am the type of weed smoker who has enjoyed being an avid pot smoker for 15+ years, but have a normal life children, successful career, etc and really resent having to deal with criminals to support my habit.

So now I am looking to invest in a grow setup. Stealth in regards to smell, etc. is important. However I will have a room cornered off in my basement where I store my guns & ammo which will be child free.

I am about to pull the trigger on a Bc Northern lights Room Mate box... Which seams to have everything I want and will grow MORE than enough weed to support my habit. However it is very expensive especially when factoring in shipping.

As an alternative I am considering starting a soil grow setup using the following kit:

4' x 4' 700 Watt Stealth Grow Tent Complete Kit

Any thoughts / recommendations? Keep in mind the Canadian dollar is really crappy right now, so any solution should be by a Canadian provider.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I would go along with the 4x4 tent setup. I have what appears to be the same tent and fan, and I have the mars II 400 instead of the 700, and I like it. How many plants do you plan to do? I'll be getting a mars II 700 pretty soon, and I have 3 plants in 3 gallon buckets that will go under it, and 2 to 4 clones. I've seen Green Dreamz get 5 ounces on one plant under that light

I would go along with the 4x4 tent setup. I have what appears to be the same tent and fan, and I have the mars II 400 instead of the 700, and I like it. How many plants do you plan to do? I'll be getting a mars II 700 pretty soon, and I have 3 plants in 3 gallon buckets that will go under it, and 2 to 4 clones. I've seen Green Dreamz get 5 ounces on one plant under that light

Thanks for the quick reply. I was told that 4 plants in 3 gallon buckets would fit easy with that setup. Sounds like a sound plan ?

Other than this kit, I assume all I need is soil, PH testing kit, to start my grow.

You'll want a good digital pH pen, pH calibration solution, pH up and down, your soil, nutrients, cal/mag, a good fan to circulate air in the tent, and a good power strip to plug it all into. In that tent, you could fit 16 three gallon buckets. But you could probably do 6 and still get great coverage from that light.

You'll have to make sure and let me know when you start a journal. I'll sub to it and help you when you need it

Thanks will do. Really appreciate the advice. I am looking forward to start growing I think this will be a fun new hobby.

With this tent I am sure I will be able to pull out some pretty impressive yields. Wouldn't it be nice to have 1 lb of good home-grown Kush in a month :).

My one friend ended up producing much more than he could ever smoke, and recommended turning into Hash for long-term storage.

I am the type of weed smoker who has enjoyed being an avid pot smoker for 15+ years, but have a normal life children, successful career, etc and really resent having to deal with criminals to support my habit.

If we consider a person to be a criminal because he/she sells cannabis, then we should also consider ourselves to be criminals because we buy/consume it. I just thought I should point that out. I mean... Well, it just seems like hypocritical bullsh!t to say that we grow because we don't want to have to deal with criminals. IMHO.

I am about to pull the trigger on a Bc Northern lights Room Mate box... Which seams to have everything I want and will grow MORE than enough

...cannabis... ;)

to support my habit. However it is very expensive especially when factoring in shipping.

Yes, very.

As an alternative I am considering starting a soil grow setup using the following kit:
<LINK>

Any thoughts / recommendations?

Looks like that ad was created to sell cheaply made grow tents, cheap lights, and cheap filter/fan setups to newbies at a high profit. I see that the lights offered include a lot of older Mars-Hydro products. I also see that, to upgrade the grow tent option from 600d to 1680d costs an extra $80, lol. I just checked with our sponsor (as they sell tents in addition to LED products), and their 4'x4' grow tent only lists for $132.99 and that's before applying the discount code that you ought to be able to get just by asking the company's forum rep if she would be nice enough to give you one of their current ones. Those cheap Mars II lights from 2015(?) would probably be even cheaper if you bought them from the source, especially after applying the discount code. I won't swear to it, but you might even be able to arrange a slightly better overall discount if you explained that you needed to buy both a grow tent AND lighting, and that you were willing to purchase both at the same time, from the same company. Oh, and those prices include the cost of delivery. We all know that this simply means "shipping charges are rolled into the product prices," but it's nice to know right off the bat what something is actually going to cost, instead of just knowing its price (so to speak).

Buying directly from Mars-Hydro gives you the option to choose any of the company's LED products, now just whichever ones happen to be in a third-party seller's drop-down list (IOW, products with a high profit margin, ones the seller has way too many of and wishes to unload, or both). For example, you might be interested in their newer SP series or TS series of products. Relatively cheap, relatively powerful, a whole lot less painful to work under (IMHO), and sold by a long-term sponsor who has been supporting this forum for... IDK, maybe ten years?

El cheap exhaust fans and carbon filters are sold under many brand names, including Fusion Breath (the brand listed in the ad you linked), VivoSun, iPower, et cetera. There's nothing special about any of them. I think the set I bought around the first of this year are VivoSun brand, and I paid about $88 on Amazon. I think it was available with exhaust duct for $15 more for people who are too lazy to go to the nearest department store to buy some dryer vent exhaust for ten bucks. If you're dirt poor, that's probably what you should do (and what I did). Otherwise, consider rigid duct; single-wall vent pipe, for example. It'll be less likely to develop leaks, because you'd have to hit the stuff pretty hard to punch a hole into it. And I expect that it'd be quieter, too, since the interior would be smooth. If you want it even quieter, you can always choose double-wall vent pipe. Selkirk used to be a decent brand that wasn't too expensive. I prefer centrifugal (aka "radial") fans over axial ones. The latter type move a good bit of air - which is why they can often be found in windows on hot days - but struggle to do so against any kind of restriction/pressure. And that's what a good carbon filter is, a restriction.

Unless your time is worth more than your money, put together your own "package." And if it IS worth more than your money, choose a seller who'll at least put together a better package, lol.

<LINK to GH GO Box>
Let me know if it's worth buying this kit for nutrients.

It's okay if you like "organics." I've read that some of the bottle contents have a bit of an odor, but you'll have that with "organics." I haven't paid much attention to the General Hydroponics brand since its former owner sold the company to Scotts Miracle-Gro's Hawthorne Gardening Company, but when they first introduced their GO line of products they were giving complete packages away to everyone who'd pay for shipping and there seemed to be a lot of positive reviews. You'll probably run out of things at different rates/times, but by the time you do you should know whether you wish to continue using the brand.

There are several "nutrient kits" available. There's the General Hydroponics Flora Performance Pack (the three main components plus five supplements and a basic pH test kit (strips) that'll be handy to keep in a drawer somewhere until you encounter an issue with your pH meter). That stuff has been used to grow just about everything for decades. Techniflora has the Recipe for Success kit, and it has also been around for a long time. Fox Farm sells at least one kit. Roots Organics offers three kits. Lotus Nutrients, DaKine, Emerald Harvest, Hesi, House & Garden, CYCO, Aptus, Vegamatrix, Heavy 16, Advanced Nutrients, et cetera all offer "kits."

Some people consider a container of Osmocote Plus controlled release fertilizer and a sack of Epsom salt to be all the "kit" that they need, lol. As long as it contains what the plant needs, it'll work. Figure out how much of your budget can be spent on your initial (year one?) nutrient needs, then spend some time browsing our grow journal section (current and completed journals). You'll undoubtedly find some journals that you like for one reason or another and, when you do, take a look at what nutrient brand(s) they're using, how well they work for those people, and take note of any issues they encounter (or things which, if YOU encountered them, you would consider to be issues).

As mentioned that looks like a highly marked up box of junk. That being said it will likely grow some plants and requires you to do very little footwork getting a grow set up. If your not worried about money that's fine, you can always buy better stuff when you realize what you don't like about it or if you are worried about money it does get you started and out of "the black market" (but it plops you directly into the gray market in most places) so you can stop spending money for Cannabis and save it for better equipment.
Quantum boards, Dyna gro, and hyper fans are my preferences.

Back
Top Bottom