5Chord's Perpetual Grow

5chord

After getting my feet wet with my first hydro grow (First Indoor Hydro Grow) I decided to set up a perpetual grow where I harvest every 2 months. I figure I can only smoke an ounce every 6 weeks, so even a modest harvest every 8 weeks should keep me in free high quality bud.

Strain: The strain I have chosen is White Widow. It was very easy to grow, and very noob friendly and forgiving. The buds are very powerful and as tasty as anything I had ever smoked. The plants are small but very dense and the yield was more than I expected/deserved with the 12-18" plants that I grew.

Grow type: My indoor is DWC (I started with RDWC but got rid of the pumps, they were more trouble then they were worth) in different size containers. Outdoors, I have 2 very nice WW clones in 3 1/2 gal planters in Promix. These will likely double in size, but it will be an October harvest (unless I bring one inside) I am probably going to experiment with some other hydro systems later in the grow.

Bloom Room: This is a windowless bathroom. I have utilized the shower stall as the bloom area and currently have just one, nice sized WW already 2 weeks into flowering in this 14 gal container.

20150617_081220.jpg

This will likely be my only August harvested plant as the other 4 ("free seeds") I had in the container turned out to be boys. Good riddance.

Veg Room: After deciding to do a perpetual grow, I started looking for a grow tent. I found an awesome on that I thought was 2 x 4 x 7, but turned out to be 3 x 5 x 7! It's a very good size. I currently have the mother plant in there in a 10 gal res.

20150617_081133.jpg

And another unknown (Never seen anything like it) Indica dominant monster. I'm putting it outside in promix today as I don't want to waste time and nutes if it's a male.

20150616_120416.jpg
20150616_120436.jpg

Cloning Rig: This is a piece of the puzzle that I have not been able to get as of yet. My first try was with rockwool cubes and a humidity dome. That actually worked the best as I got 4 decent rooted clones and two additional ones I gifted to a friend. Unfortunately the survival rate was about 25% and was unacceptable. My next try was with rapid rooter cubes, cloning gel, humidity dome and heat pad. I thought I got it as the cuttings looked awesome right away.......But they withered and died within 3-5 days without rooting.

So then I did some research here and looked at a bunch of threads here at 420 (Supergroomer Tries to Clone with the Clone King 25 and Making The SH Mistic Cloner) I decided to make one myself using the Oxyclone as the base unit. I added an air pump and 12" difuser plus the "fog machine" from the second thread.

20150617_081155.jpg
I kept the heating pad on until I checked the water....It was very warm!!! I lost the heating pad, but the temps are still high despite the air-difuser and water pump going full blast. The "fog machine" adds a considerable amount of heat, but the plants are all doing well 24 hours later. I did lose one clone (out of 6) but it was before adding the fog machine component.

Lighting: I experimented with a few different lights. I started my first grow with a 315w CFL lamp. It is a formidable light and I still use it for the veg tank. You can get within inches of the plant without harm and the plants seem to love it. I have 2 x 6500k and on 5000k in the middle. I bought 2 other 2700k CFLs for flowering but I decided to go with LED in the bloom room. 3 3x100 Mars Hydro lamps to be exact. My lone mother WW has a 2' T5 lamp all to herself
20150617_104748.jpg
20150617_104625.jpg
20150617_104612.jpg
20150617_104607.jpg

Nutes/Ferts I got the Technaflora suite of nutes with my first hydro rig and will stick with them. I did however decide to only use the no-organic solutions....Boost, Grow and Bloom and eliminated the Thrive Alive products and other "brown" ferts.

Enzymes/Water treatments I started my last grow with Hygrozyme (I grow slime) and treated root issues with H202. I'm not sure the H202 did anything, but as I'm unable to control the res temps (almost always over 80f) I quickly had mold/mildew issues. A capful of bleach takes care of everything and the plants don't seem to mind one bit. That was probably the best lesson that I had learned from my last grow and not too many people on here will agree, but squeaky clean roots and great smelling tanks prove that bleach is your friend!

:Namaste:

Nice!!! Very pro. subbed
That big monster looks awesome, I could be wrong but every time so far I've had females and could detect them before sexing just by smelling if they had a skunky/sweet smell. where as the males just smelled like a weed, nothing special or pungent or sweet at all. how does that big plant smell??

Nice!!! Very pro. subbed
That big monster looks awesome, I could be wrong but every time so far I've had females and could detect them before sexing just by smelling if they had a skunky/sweet smell. where as the males just smelled like a weed, nothing special or pungent or sweet at all. how does that big plant smell??

Thanks Vlad! The monster does not have a strong smell of any sort.......I hope you're wrong on that count:) I just transplanted her into Promix and he/she is showing signs of transplant shock....There's nothing I can do and I know he/she'll be OK, but I hate to watch :p This plant has the best root structure of any plant I have ever seen. Almost too much for the container and amazingly white with that fresh hay smell.

Hey Vlad, it's not all it's cracked up to be......Lost 2 clones already and it looks like more deaths are imminent.....I just took 4 more and made my second cuts underwater....I'll let you know how they work out

There's this other grower called TheRoach that gets eye popping root development with his ultrasonic cloner and no rooting hormone
check out his stuff
11009_001.jpg

Yes, he was the reason I bought the ultrasonic fogger.......So far my success rate is 100%....Unfortunately it's 100% bad :-( There must be something I'm not understanding. BUT fortunately I have nearly unlimited clones as my mother plant is throwing out so many nodes that I can't even keep up

That's alright then, there is a learning curve to everything. But having the fogger is better than none! I am going to take a clone in 2 weeks and I hope it will survive. I had success with my first two clones I ever made, then failed the 2nd time. They can be tricky.

Vlad

Yes there is a pretty steep learning curve here for me lol! My first clone rig was a tray with Rockwool cubes and a air pump and diffuser.....My survival rate was 20%. Unacceptable. I then went to rapid-rooter cubes, a heating pad and humidity dome....While the cuttings looked great and didn't go into any kind of transplant shock, the survival rate after one week was 0%....Then I bought the (above) Oxyclone (a ridiculously over priced machine) and modified it first with an air pump and diffuser and then added the ultrasonic fogger (AKA The Clone Cooker) While the cuttings didn't seem to mind the first few days the hot water temps (The fogger increases the water temps to "Hotter than I'd bath in") in the 2 gallon tank, the stems eventually collapsed and looked "cooked" after the clone had withered 3-7 days later.

SO, to start again! I kept the Oxyclone rig going, but took out the fogger. This time I filled the container so that the stems are submerged in the oxygen rich water. I took 8 new cuttings from different parts of the plant and different stem thicknesses

20150621_112829.jpg
20150621_112820.jpg
20150621_112835.jpg

and put the last 2 in rockwool suspended above the water.....Those two are the only ones going through shock at the moment

20150621_113102.jpg

I only have one "heir to the throne" or "bloom room occupant" that will be vacated early August so I need to get this clone program rolling!!!

20150621_112902.jpg

(from a WW seed I had found in one of the plants at harvest)

Here is my lone WW that will be harvested in 6-7 weeks

20150621_112948.jpg
20150621_112941.jpg
20150621_112935.jpg

Until next time:)

wow that flowering WW looks verrrry nice. sorry to hear about the ultrasonic job, I had no idea it would heat the water like that :thedoubletake:

Yeah Vlad, that fogger heats up the water to well over 90f maybe a lot higher......The new batch of soldiers (clones) look great after one day...Even the rockwool guinea pigs look good!

Hope all is well in your world.

Is this grow still alive?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read our Photo Gallery Tutorial.

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

Back
Top Bottom