Acquitted, Medical Pot Patient Leaves Boulder Court With Marijuana

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
Rolling out of the Boulder County Justice Center in a wheelchair Thursday with a jumble of once-confiscated pot in his lap, Jason Lauve smiled and waved to supporters after a jury acquitted him of possessing too much medical marijuana.

Eight men and four women found the 38-year-old Louisville resident not guilty of a felony drug possession charge, as well as lesser charges of possessing marijuana and marijuana concentrate.

Lauve, who was prescribed marijuana to relieve the pain from a back injury, burst out crying, grabbed his defense attorney and nearly fell to his knees when the verdict was announced.

"Thank you so much," he yelled out to the jurors.

Boulder District Judge Maria Berkenkotter had to pause and admonish Lauve's supporters as they applauded and called out during her reading of the verdicts.

She ordered that more than two pounds of Lauve's marijuana supply, which had been confiscated by police in a raid of his home last summer, be returned to him.

"I have a right to live," Lauve said afterward. "All of us as patients have a right to have our own life, not the government's life. We should not be treated like criminals."

Laurie Borgers, a medical marijuana patient from Denver, said she was elated by the verdict.

"I am happy and relieved as expected to see justice was served today," she said outside the courtroom. "They need to stop picking on sick people."

Lauve could have spent up to three years in prison had he been convicted of the most serious charge.

Boulder County District Attorney Stan Garnett said Thursday his office will not appeal.

"That's the way the system works and we respect the jury's verdict and the work they put into it," he said.

State law at core of case

Lauve's case cast a bright light on Colorado's 9-year-old medical marijuana law, which lets patients with chronic pain and in debilitating health obtain a state-issued ID card clearing them to grow and buy pot.

Lauve joined the state's medical marijuana registry after he was severely injured by a snowboarder who plowed into him at Eldora Ski Resort in 2004. He said the collision reduced him from an avid cyclist and expert telemark skier to someone who relies on a cane and wheelchair to get around.

He testified during his four-day trial that he smoked pot three times a day and mixed the drug into his food once daily to relieve his pain. Medical marijuana was the most effective pain management tool he had come across, Lauve told the jury, and the drug allowed him to wean himself off of several addictive opiate-based painkillers.

Law enforcement authorities, acting on a tip from a neighbor, seized 34 ounces of marijuana from Lauve's home on June 26, 2008. Prosecutors claimed he violated the law by possessing far more than the 2 ounces of usable pot and six plants permitted by the statute.

But Lauve and his lawyer countered that the constitutional amendment voters approved in 2000 contains a provision that allows patients to present an "affirmative defense," ultimately giving them the power to determine the amount of marijuana appropriate for their needs.

Prosecutor Karen Lorenz contended in closing arguments that by ignoring the limits in the statute, patients and caregivers would essentially have "carte blanche" to possess whatever amount of pot they wanted, gutting the law's intent.

"There's no doctor to support this, there are random numbers being thrown around based on what he thinks he needs on a day-to-day basis," Lorenz told the jury. "That's not what the medical marijuana statute is for."

Lauve's attorney, Rob Corry, argued that prosecutors never came close to proving that his client was doing anything other than legally medicating himself and treating pain that only he could gauge.

"There is no evidence that he had more than what was medically necessary to treat his severe debilitating medical condition," Corry said. "Who gets to decide what is medically necessary?"

'We believed you'

Jury foreman Roger Grady said after the trial that he and his 11 colleagues simply attempted to interpret the state law as "common men" would.

"We believed you," he told Lauve outside the courthouse.

Grady, 64, said it was clear that the best person to determine how much medical marijuana a patient needs is the patient himself.

"We don't know what the limit is for medical marijuana, and the prosecution didn't produce anyone who knew what that limit was," he said.

If prosecutors were using Lauve as a "test case" for how the state's medical marijuana law should be applied, Grady said, they chose the wrong man. Grady accused prosecutors of not doing their "homework" and bringing a relatively weak case against Lauve.

"We thought, 'This guy is doing everything in the law as it was written,'" Grady said.

Garnett, the DA, said he didn't see the trial as a medical marijuana test case.

"It's a careful process we pursue to analyze a case," he said. "We try to treat every defendant individually and fairly."

But medical marijuana advocate Laura Kriho, of Boulder, said the case was a waste of public resources that brought misery upon a man who did nothing wrong.

She said she hopes Thursday's verdict will bring a fresh understanding of the importance of letting patients take the lead in determining the best treatments for themselves.

"The DA shouldn't be spending taxpayer dollars telling people how to medicate themselves," she said. "This sets a precedent that Boulder County juries are not going to convict medical cannabis patients for using the amount they see fit."

N0807POT01_t220.JPG

Jason Lauve, center, his brother Alex, left, and his attorney, Robert Corry, are greeted by cheers from supporters as they exit the courtroom

N0807POT02_t220.JPG

Jason Lauve, right, is hugged by a juror (who refused to give her name) after his trial ended at the Boulder County Justice Center on Thursday At left is jury foreman Roger Grady.​

News Hawk: User: 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: dailycamera.com
Author: John Aguilar
Photos: Marty Caivano
Copyright: 2009 The E.W. Scripps Co.
Website: Acquitted, medical pot patient leaves Boulder court with drugs : County News : Boulder Daily Camera

boulder rocks, larimer county just down the way gave someone back their pot recently as well. Larimer is just north of boulder county, someone or a dispensary not sure which was robbed and they caught the perps. The cops then delivered the reconfistcated herbs to their rightful owner. L33t h@x!

I hope Florida does this soon, I live with daily back pain from a condition called, spondylolisthesis..right now, I can walk, but the surgery is very risky, if I don't do it' by 50 I'll be in a wheelchair...I live in daily pain, and if I lay in the wrong position (on my stomach) my legs fall asleep, they also fall asleep when I stand too long..then the rest of the night, my lower body aches. I smoke daily, because the alternative is opiates or liver destroying acetaminophens...I would easily qualify for a script, if it was available to me, absolutely asinine it's not legal everywhere, for atleast medical use....Congrats Mr.Lauve :D

do you know anyone who lives with a wheelchair? if so have a talk with them. more than one person if you can. i find that the actual experience is far different than what i'd anticipated for good and bad. i'm not yet locked into it constantly but mobility with it is very much less painful and it seems like for every 3 min on my feet/legs is 3 hrs recouperating. my quality of life is much impoved by having my chair. i'm 55 bro, had the chair for 3 years. i don't feel your pain but i know where your coming from. i wish you peace on every level.

do you know anyone who lives with a wheelchair? if so have a talk with them. more than one person if you can. i find that the actual experience is far different than what i'd anticipated for good and bad. i'm not yet locked into it constantly but mobility with it is very much less painful and it seems like for every 3 min on my feet/legs is 3 hrs recouperating. my quality of life is much impoved by having my chair. i'm 55 bro, had the chair for 3 years. i don't feel your pain but i know where your coming from. i wish you peace on every level.

you too :):thanks: , I'll be where you are at some point, I've dedicated myself to living my ass off right now, while I still can get around...and I'm also doing what I can to get medical use legalized.

you can still get out there if/when the time comes. i've been in some rough places here in the ozarks with my chair. my driveway ain't no picnic. gone to quite a few festivals. all the hippies dragin' ass in the heat and i go cruisin by. the worst part about a chair is the weight, oh and going to walmart, now thats dangerous.

Letter to the Editor - Aug. 11
By Stan Garnett
District Attorney, Boulder

I have heard from many members of the community, on both sides, about the Jason Lauve case. I thought it might be helpful to the discussion to provide some context, all of which is in the court records.

Mr. Lauve's house was searched, pursuant to a search warrant issued by a judge, on June 26, 2008, following a report that there was a substantial marijuana grow occurring in a home in a residential neighborhood in Louisville. Though Mr. Lauve presented a medical marijuana license, an arrest warrant was issued (by a different judge) after the search revealed marijuana and numerous marijuana plants, substantially in excess of the presumptive amounts set forth in the Colorado Constitutional amendment and prescribed on the Colorado Department of Health Web site. Mr. Lauve was charged on Sept. 19, 2008.

Trial began after standard plea negotiations with Mr. Lauve and his counsel. The trial court (yet another judge) ruled, twice, after both the prosecution and defense cases, that there was sufficient evidence for the case to proceed to the jury. The jury, after a little more than three hours of deliberations, returned a verdict of not guilty, finding that the amount of marijuana in Mr. Lauve's home was "medically necessary" for him to possess, a determination a jury is uniquely positioned to make. As I have said, jury trials give the community the chance to speak on important issues. That is what happened in this case. My office accepts the jury's verdict.

With regard to resources, there were resources involved in the prosecution of this case but they were not extensive. Two salaried prosecutors presented three witnesses. The prosecution case took about one half day of court time.

I am happy to continue discussions with anyone about this case, Colorado's Medical Marijuana laws, or any other case, in person, by phone at my office, 303-441-3798 or by e-mail, sgarnett@bouldercounty.org.

News Hawk: User: 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Author: Stan Garnett
Website: Letters to the Editor - Aug. 11 : Letters to the Editor : Boulder Daily Camera

Letter to the Editor - Aug. 13
By D. Walters
Juror

I was a member of the jury on the medical marijuana case and beg to differ with District Attorney Stan Garnett's assessment as presented in this Open Forum on Tuesday, Aug. 11.

This case was both a waste of taxpayer money and a travesty of justice that the charges against this man were ever brought in the first place. First of all, Mr. Garnett's assertion that the jury found "that the amount of marijuana in Mr. Lauve's home was medically necessary" is an inaccurate statement. The job of the prosecution was to prove that the amount in possession was not medically necessary and that Mr. Lauve was aware that he was in violation of the law. The prosecution presented absolutely no evidence regarding either point of law. They brought no witnesses to show that the amount was not medically necessary. They did not even assert that the amount was not medically necessary. In fact, they prevented the defense from offering evidence regarding medical necessity. The prosecution did not even attempt to assert that Mr. Lauve knew the amount was excessive or suggest that he was doing anything inappropriate with the "excess."

This jury admired Jason Lauve for standing up to an unfair prosecution. The physical, emotional and legal costs to Jason Lauve of defending himself do not seem to be of concern of Mr. Garnett and the cost to taxpayers? Four full days spent by a judge, two prosecutors, a bailiff, a clerk, a detective, assorted police officers and 12 jurors! Plus laboratory time and expense to prove that it was "real" marijuana. All of us could have spent these four days doing something that actually involved prosecuting a crime.

Author: D. Walters
Website: Letters to the Editor - Aug. 13 : Letters to the Editor : Boulder Daily Camera

Back
Top Bottom