Advice on strains

dwlb051

420 Member
Hello:

I plan on growing an indica and a sativa this year. I live in the Boston area (US) I am looking for recommendations for strains that have relatively
short flowering periods. Typically, my plants start to flower the last week in August as I get into October the risk of a killing frost goes up and I tend to harvest a week or so early.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Autoflowering have a short cycle, 70-80 days. Northern lights auto fem and PowerPlant auto have nice yields. Typical summer you can crop twice.

Hello:

I plan on growing an indica and a sativa this year. I live in the Boston area (US) I am looking for recommendations for strains that have relatively
short flowering periods. Typically, my plants start to flower the last week in August as I get into October the risk of a killing frost goes up and I tend to harvest a week or so early.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
A couple of things to keep in mind that might help you make a decision. I looked up the average first frost date for your area. In an average season the Boston Logan Airport area itself has a 10% chance of a frost by Nov 7th, a 50% chance by Nov 21st and pretty much guaranteed by Dec 4th. An average year gives you 12-13 weeks of growing between the end of August and the middle of November. These are averages and like any farmer or gardener you will be rolling the dice each year you plant outside. My experience as a hobby gardener is that we will win way more often than we loose to Jack Frost.

There are a lot of tricks gardeners and Marijuana growers use if there is an early frost. One is the location where the plants are. Up against a south facing wall or solid fence is good. The wall or fence absorbs a lot of heat and will reflect it back all night and past sunrise. (Most of the time the first frost of the fall will come just before sunrise and last about an hour after the sun comes up.) Another is to cover the plants with a bed sheet late afternoon before the frost and pull it off once the sun is up and the temps are getting close to 32. Do a search on this msg board for suggestions and tricks to cover the plant or plants if a frost is expected. Probably all you have to enter in the search box is a keyword of frost.

Keep in mind that many TV weather reports say "chance of frost" and the closer to a big city the less likely there will be a frost early in the fall.

Last thing. There is a really good chance that the strain you pick will not be bothered by a frost. I deliberately left two plants outside when the frost came. No problem. They were still outside when it was going to snow overnight. They survived. When I finally harvested them I left the plant and a couple of smaller branches and it took a night when the temperatures dropped to the mid 20s before the freezing killed the leaves. I figure the roots lived until the soil in the containers froze.

Use this link and put in your zip code to narrow the dates down a bit more if you are near Boston Logan.
https://morningchores.com/frost-dates/

This link is of two plants I grew outside. It was to see how I could stealth grow in my backyard. Late in the season I decided to watch and see how the plants reacted to cold weather and frost. I would take the photos and make notes. Then when I got time, sometimes days later I would update the thread. Some of the other members added a couple of helpful suggestions on getting through a late season frost.
https://www.420magazine.com/community/threads/we-are-past-the-frost-warnings-or-the-lady-finally-sang-the-last-song.474763/

Enjoy the afternoon.

Back
Top Bottom