AfroBunny's Indoor Hydro Green Crack Grow Journal 2018 - First Grow!

AfroBunnyLabs

Hello 420 crew!

I am super excited to finally be getting started! Friends and I have been talking about growing for the longest time. We have finally gotten some funds together and jumped head first into making our dreams a reality.

Where we live it is legal to buy from dispensaries, and as of January, some dispensaries don't even require your medical rec anymore. The issue that we have noticed is consistency and quality. I'm not sure of the exact reason, possibly being far from the main city, but whatever the reason we intend on growing quality smoke. The last straw for me was getting a delivery of "Kush" that looked and smoked like tumbleweeds found rolling around the town.

We are a group of stoners that somehow made it through engineering school. We have absolutely no growing experience. I had a fern in my dorm once but it was damaged during a wild Thursday night and never recovered. Despite the odds, we are determined to grow, and I am confident that in time we can produce high quality marijuana for our and possibly other's enjoyment.

A huge thank you to our local grow store for all the helpful tips and stories they are willing to provide, the owner is truly a wealth of knowledge.

Enough formalities lets get into it! Since I had the best location for the grow, I will also be keeping track of our progress with this Grow Journal. I guess that makes me Mr. AfroBunny!

AfroBunny's Indoor Hydro Green Crack Grow Journal - Jan 2018

Setup:
Hydroponic Fill and Drain (ebb and flow?) modular bucket system
12x Two Gallon Buckets and 1x 55 Gallon Reservoir
2x 600w HPS lights
1x 8x4 Grow Tent
1x 6' exhaust fan

Seeds:
As per recommendation of our local grow shop. We purchased seeds from CropKingSeeds.com. I have read a few posts here on the forums about CKS, but im still not sure what the overall opinion of them here is. I would just like to say that our experience with them was outstanding. Garaunteed Delivery was supposed to arrive within 7 days and I received our seeds the next business day (ordered Friday, received Monday). We ordered 25 Green Crack seeds and received 27. Prior to ordering we had an issue with payment and the lady who answered the phone was extremely helpful and pateint with our nonsense. We will definitely be using them again!

The Grow:
Currently I have 5 seeds doing the paper towel method, recommended both by our local grow shop and CKS. Today is Day 2. Yesterday while they were in a cup of Fiji water they all floated when first added. Eventually they all sunk, some faster than others, but all were on the bottom by hour 16. Because they all sunk I assume that the seed has opened. I then lined a pyrex dish with paper towels and poured the seeds in. This morning I checked the paper towel, it was what I would consider "moist" but I added some more water just to be sure it didnt dry out while I was at work.

I have a lot of videos but no pictures so I will be sure to take some and post them here! While I wait for the taproots I have picked out a comic book to read to the plants so the grow up strong and funny!

If you have ANY tips at all please share! We are very excited to be joining this community!

Hello 420 crew!

I am super excited to finally be getting started! Friends and I have been talking about growing for the longest time. We have finally gotten some funds together and jumped head first into making our dreams a reality.

Where we live it is legal to buy from dispensaries, and as of January, some dispensaries don't even require your medical rec anymore. The issue that we have noticed is consistency and quality. I'm not sure of the exact reason, possibly being far from the main city, but whatever the reason we intend on growing quality smoke. The last straw for me was getting a delivery of "Kush" that looked and smoked like tumbleweeds found rolling around the town.

We are a group of stoners that somehow made it through engineering school. .. We have absolutely no growing experience. I had a fern in my dorm once but it was damaged during a wild Thursday night and never recovered. Despite the odds, we are determined to grow, and I am confident that in time we can produce high quality marijuana for our and possibly other's enjoyment.

A huge thank you to our local grow store for all the helpful tips and stories they are willing to provide, the owner is truly a wealth of knowledge.

Enough formalities lets get into it! Since I had the best location for the grow, I will also be keeping track of our progress with this Grow Journal. I guess that makes me Mr. AfroBunny!

AfroBunny's Indoor Hydro Green Crack Grow Journal - Jan 2018

Setup:
Hydroponic Fill and Drain (ebb and flow?) modular bucket system
12x Two Gallon Buckets and 1x 55 Gallon Reservoir
2x 600w HPS lights
1x 8x4 Grow Tent
1x 6' exhaust fan

Seeds:
As per recommendation of our local grow shop. We purchased seeds from CropKingSeeds.com. I have read a few posts here on the forums about CKS, but im still not sure what the overall opinion of them here is. I would just like to say that our experience with them was outstanding. Garaunteed Delivery was supposed to arrive within 7 days and I received our seeds the next business day (ordered Friday, received Monday). We ordered 25 Green Crack seeds and received 27. Prior to ordering we had an issue with payment and the lady who answered the phone was extremely helpful and pateint with our nonsense. We will definitely be using them again!

The Grow:
Currently I have 5 seeds doing the paper towel method, recommended both by our local grow shop and CKS. Today is Day 2. Yesterday while they were in a cup of Fiji water they all floated when first added. Eventually they all sunk, some faster than others, but all were on the bottom by hour 16. Because they all sunk I assume that the seed has opened. I then lined a pyrex dish with paper towels and poured the seeds in. This morning I checked the paper towel, it was what I would consider "moist" but I added some more water just to be sure it didnt dry out while I was at work.

I have a lot of videos but no pictures so I will be sure to take some and post them here! While I wait for the taproots I have picked out a comic book to read to the plants so the grow up strong and funny!

If you have ANY tips at all please share! We are very excited to be joining this community!
I will subb to your grow. I have two Green Crack clones in flower now. I also have some Super Silver Haze and Early Miss autos going right now and they are from Cropkings also. I got my seeds in 6 days from them. You have a nice setup and a great light so hopefully everything works out, good luck...️

ITS THE TOP OF DAY THREE AND WE HAVE LIFE!!! I never thought id be this excited over a little taproot, but the suspense has me on edge! Lol

F2821A1D-56CE-462E-A86E-EBF4E7B5A67D.jpeg
9372CB5B-6AE3-4C27-AA98-01677D1B032F.jpeg

I think I've talked to my grow Guru almost everyday lol. Im glad he is super patient because even I'm getting annoyed with all my questions

It was late in day two and although they say it takes some seeds 2-7 days to start germination, I had a feeling that something was off. My house is full of windows and lights, so when I read that the seeds needed a dark place to start their process I figured the grow tent would be ideal. The uneasiness came when I noticed that the temperature reading from my temp/humidity clock in the tent was only 71-73F (even with my thermostat set at 75F)

So I called the local grow shop 6 minutes before they closed, and the guru picked up! I explained my situation to him and he told me I should be shooting for 80F!! He also mentioned a heat mat, but he was closing and there was no way I would make it in time. He mentioned some other places in the house that may hold some heat so I went on the search.

I decided to put them in the closet right next to the furnace.. before I went to sleep the temperature reading was 76.8F in the closet. That would have to do, I had hopes that the temp would continue to rise in the closet overnight.

The next morning I jumped out of bed to check the closet, only to see one of my roommates TURNED THE HEAT OFF! I opened the closet, saw the temp was a mediocre 71.8F... what does a guy have to do to get a break around here???

Discouraged, I checked the pyrex. I was mostly checking to make sure the paper towel was still moist. I was ecstatic when I peeled back the top layer and saw 3 of the tap roots starting to show!!

Im guessing the closet hit a decent temperature before the heat was turned off so some of the seeds were able to pop. I turned the heat back on and put the pyrex back in the closet. Im hoping the other two pop by the time I get off work. I do think the heatmat will be a worthy investment for the next set of seeds, that way we remove the roommate variability!

Thanks for reading, and Ill update you guys soon! AfroBunny out!!

Welcome to Day 6 of our first grow! This has really been an exciting journey thus far. Thanks to all the people who have read this and texted me suggestions, I had no idea so many people around me also grew! And as always, special thanks to our local grow shop. I just went there to show them my most recent pictures! Ill be sharing a few with you guys below!
627B346E-A90B-4E74-B07C-393BF9E24191.jpeg
DD6E9226-64B9-4D9D-AA00-F696510A8006.jpeg
7D5A733B-1E3E-44B2-AB66-CC8A0A0DA3E2.jpeg

So as you can see we have some nice seedlings of Green Crack finally sprouting! Its amazing how fast this occurred. I started the seeds in sets (one set of 5, one set of 7). By Saturday at 4pm all seeds were in the tray and there was no apparent growth from the first set of 5. By Monday at 4am (36 hours) we had the results you see above!

The tallest is currently 1.25in high. I have reason to believe that the 1 light was not providing enough light in some places, and too much in others. So I have added a second light and adjusted the distance of each. There are still two seeds who have not sprouted any stem or cotyledons. So hopefully the light adjustment will affect them positively. There are also 2 plants that have sprouted a stem, but it has yet to break through the top layer of the rockwool cube.

Thats about it for now. Just wanted you guys to share in my excitement of actually seeing some growth!

More pictures and a quick update!

5E78A503-DBC7-4327-90C4-D8A2AF0E471C.jpeg
B2032848-1E76-48C7-A2D4-8C6A44F8D260.jpeg
F3115682-8D73-46DC-935C-DB2B57F2B712.jpeg

So we've made it through our first week! As always Ive been in and out of our local grow shop showing them pictures and panicking about every minute detail. Come to find out our girls are growing up wonderfully!!

To recap, we had 100% success with 12 seeds in the paper towel method. However, once moved to the propagation kit, two seeds never sprouted.

We watched 8 plants grow quite vigorously! 1 even grew to the top of the propagation dome! 2 were late bloomers. One of the late bloomers I wasnt sure would make it, as its first true leaves (the ones with ridges) were already yellow when they sprouted.

2B86A008-80E3-4844-ADDC-B17173FD65A8.jpeg

Time came to transplant the girls into the ebb and flow pots; I could see roots showing on the majority of the plants. I left the two late bloomers in the seedling kit for an extra two days but ultimately moved them for uniformity.

Im happy to report that we are finally seeing some new growth on the last straggler. I went 40% nutrients for their first week and it seems to have gone well! All the plants seem to be thriving quite well!

70B7B0DA-5FC0-4FE8-BFF2-558C20FF2C72.jpeg

The last update is that I switched our 18/6 schedule. The plants use to go to sleep at the same time that I did, but due to heat issues (temps of over 90F in the tent!) I have switched them to a 10am-4pm dark cycle. This and better ventilation is keeping us at a consistent 81-83F throughout the day...

8D6F8F4C-543B-4581-9590-B4DD003032F9.jpeg

Thanks for reading!!!

Back
Top Bottom