Another Local Retailer Bites the Dust

I recently learned my local hydroponics store went out of business. I call it my "local" store only because it's 78 miles closer than the next one.

I knew the guy was suffering. He started out with the usual markup - which can be somewhat higher in markets like this one because hydroponics stores don't move as much volume as, say, a grocery store or Wal*Mart. Business wasn't great, so he started dropping his prices. It might have picked up a little, but not enough to matter, apparently, because he dropped them again once or twice across the board.

That's not including sales that he ran from time to time, BtW.

I've heard that some distributors set minimum pricing that the retailers agree not to sell under. If that's the case, I'm pretty sure that this guy was selling at the minimum before he went under.

This wasn't just some goof who decided to open a hydroponics store because he heard the money was good, either. He has education and experience in the horticultural field, and had made educational presentations to show people the hobby. He was passionate about growing, growing indoors, and hydroponics.

I remember being in there one day and a couple of guys were picking items up and almost shouting about how they could get the item cheaper on eBay (et cetera). <SHRUGS> I've got no problem with telling someone I can find better prices than they offer, but come on.

After the guys left, I jokingly said something to the owner - I could tell he was actually upset about it and it seemed like there was more to it than just losing a sale. He basically told me he didn't know what to do. His was a small shop (low population density area) and he was losing customers left and right to people that just had a website (or, worse, an eBay store page) and either used their basement for a "warehouse" or just took customers' money and then ordered the products that they'd paid for to be drop-shipped at the people's address.

This guy was nice, knowledgeable, employed people in the community (at least at first, think he had to start letting people go), was always bending over backwards for his customers. Not just passing out the samples that companies sent, I assume they all do that. He's told me, "You don't want to buy that here, you can get the same thing cheaper at..." He's stayed late for a $10 sale. I called once to see if he was open on Sundays and he said, "No, I'm home, this is my day to rest. But if you know what time you are coming I can go to the store." I've heard him give advice to people who thanked him - and then left to go buy the things he suggested on eBay or wherever, and I assume that wasn't the only time he gave free advice to someone who had no intention of spending a cent.

What I'm trying to say is... If you need something, check out our sponsors first. After all, they are the ones that keep our favorite site online and free for us to enjoy.

But if they don't have what you want... Folks, give your local retailer a shot. If you spend a dollar there he'll be far more likely to spend whatever his profit amounts to in the local community. Try the small places before you head into China*Mart. I understand that money doesn't grow on trees and that at times it's simply not feasible to do so. But when you can... please do. If nothing else, (politely) tell the person behind the counter that you saw the item at <wherever>. Tell him that you understand reality and know he can't match that price, but you were wondering if he could possibly meet you somewhere in the middle so that you can save a buck and he can still make one. While your at it, you might end up leaving with free samples, some new nutrients that he just got in and wants a report on, some nutrients that he mixes himself (if he does so), the bottle of super-hyper-potent flowering nutrients that he opened by mistake that morning when he meant to grab a bottle of vegetative nutrient to feed his store plants and can't sell now that it has been opened, the reflector that got bent when someone knocked it off the counter (but still works fine)... And knowledge.

Just... consider giving your money to the guy that's trying to run an actual business and who might actually care about his customers - instead of giving it to the faceless individual that takes your money, pushes a couple buttons on his computer, and then goes back into the other room to finish watching the game on television.

I felt the need to rant.

Every word of that post is the damn truth. Poor hydro store dude, I hate it when people don't understand the difference between a small business and chain/big box stores. :(

I try to share what little wealth I have with the local guys, and I do my best to rotate shopping between stores. One local guy sells nothing but top of the line stuff, really pricey high end products. I made a 12 dollar purchase from him and we shot the breeze for a while, nice guy. My other local shop owner reminds me of Turtle from Entourage, I am not lying, lol. I have also driven into my nearest large urban area and shopped a few stores in the city. But, like everyone else, I also shop on eBay and Amazon. And Lowes, Home Despot, Rural King and Wally-World for the odds and ends you always need when you DYI....

Thanks for the post, I hope your local guy can weather his storm. Breaks my heart to hear about someone who has good business practices struggle. Not to mention be treated rudely by blockheads.

I would rather go to the local hardware store and get my stuff, than to the big chains. I pay a little more, but I think it is worth it.

Too bad about the guy. But opening any business is fraught with problems. I'm in the middle of a major upgrade to my grow room. First place I went to was the local garden store. The only thing I didn't get from him was the tent I want and the new lights. So he lost about $1200, but I walked out around $500 less in my bank account. He didn't have most of the brands I wanted but I knew if there was any problems, I could get it fixed much faster through him than online. I also do some of my shopping online with a store that is a local glass and brick for the tent I wanted.

I have several to chose from but the one i go to has a back door, so that's why i go. Turns out the guys there are awesome, and they know their shit. I always pay cash, so anytime i walk in he knows he's getting some cash! Might not be allot but i know they like it. One day went there for carbon and was shooting the shit with him and mentioned i has going to make my own filter. Right away he's like here take this one! It was used but in great shape, just had to swap the carbon out. I've shopped there ever since.

Well that suks.

My local hydro store is busy every time I go in there. You better be comfortable talking about your shit with other peoples near by, cause there's never a chance to chat or be pulled off to the side to talk to alone. But I've been going there a while and they knows whats up any how.

I bought a lot of my equipment at their store because I really don;t want to deal with any returns for a faulty product and the customer service. I would probably not of went with Advanced Nutrients if it wasn't for them.

I go to a hydro store that's on my way home from work. I can get cheaper stuff at a big box store but I would rather spend my money at the hydro place to support it and keep it in business. I told them that and they appreciated the business. The selection is awesome for a variety of nutes, ferts, additives and they too have knowledge. Unfortunately, their bio bizz line has been discontinued. I prefer organic supplements.

Back
Top Bottom