Ants and Cinnamon?

Absolutes

Please excuse me if this is completely ridiculous to ask haha. Plants truly are not my expertise but I am learning. Also, I am new to the forums so thank you VERY much or taking the time to check this out.

I have a few seedlings going currently that have only been going a few days. I noticed a VERY tiny ant. They look to be a little smaller than your every day fire ant. At first I removed the ant and decided just to keep an eye out. Today I noticed more, but only a couple. They weren't harming the plant so I decided to watch where they went. Two went j. The same place so I removed a handful of dirt there (not a big pot to begin with). And removed a chunk where I saw the other one going in. I did this in hopes of removing whatever sort of colony that may have been starting. I'm assuming I didn't eradicate the problem with this, so I looked online.

A post on a forum said ants absolutely hate cinnamon. I don't even know if this is true it not. But I wanted to be sure that it is actually safe to sprinkle some cinnamon around to keep them away from the plant and out of the soil.

I have been watching intently every 20 minutes or so just to see if I could spot anymore but have no seen any. Just wanted to see if cinnamon could be an easy, natural solution to this!

Sorry if I rambled on, a little medicated right now aha. Thanks again!

Thank you so much! That post was exactly what I needed. I tried wording a search a couple different ways on here but did not come up with much. May need to practice that more.

Can't thank you enough! Its so exciting watching these little guys grow and to see an ant munching on them irks me. Going to try the baking powder first.

Thank you again!

I am still planning my first grow room. I have a list of materials, and have been reading everything I can on indoor soil growing for about the past three months. Just doing a couple test runs now with an incredibly ghetto set up. But, once I have everything built and my LEDs in, I will definitely be posting a grow journal. I spent a few hours last night reading Light Addicts grow and saw your name mentioned there, I spent hours reading and finally got to the end to find it had died. Was heart breaking and it wasn't even my plant!

This is all very new and exciting for me, just trying to pick up as much knowledge as I can and tackle problems as they arise.

I will certainly let you know how it works!! I got a nice even sprinkling of baking soda on the soil. Hopefully it was enough!

Applying scents and substances that ants don't like is the best method to get rid of ants.
Few others are Vinegar, peppermint oil, cinnamon, black pepper, cayenne pepper, whole cloves, and bay leaves are all examples that to use effectively. Make a mixture of rubbing alcohol, dish soap and water shows faster results when they are more in numbers. However, some of these might be harmful to pets and irritants to curious children.
Make a mixture of rubbing alcohol, dish soap and water.

Back
Top Bottom