Any Electricians?

MagicNative

K, if I have a 105w but and a 75w drop light receptical for it will the buld work properly..
Will it get hot and burn out
Will it just not work to its full potential

What are the problems if any would there be behind using this for now till i can get the proper equip for the buld.. I plugged it in earlier and it ran the full 5 min to fully kick on but not sure what the long term effect would be.. Would the drop light receptical get hot because of the larger wattage light being used in it.. Could it even eventually pose a fire hazard.
Let me know what you think about it please.. I need it to work for possibly 2 - 2 1/2 most if I can get away with it.. If not I'll have to find a way to manage without other things I really need..

Take a picture of it like you will have it set up. Or if you can't, describe it better and spell stuff right so I don't mislead you

Sent from my iPhone using 420

They are 105 watt cfl's
And the drop light (receptical <- basically) is a 75 watt like the ones someone would use while working on a car or something in the dark..
One second ill load some pics

20170107_194533.jpg
20170107_194633.jpg
20170107_194713.jpg
20170107_194728.jpg

Ya socket / receptical. . same differences lol.. Ya I mean the heat isn't there really but the draw from it may make the thing work alot harder heating it up more than it should when normally used.. Plus the things aren't made to be used for 18 +/- hrs at a time like that either.. So kinda iffy ain't it

Plus I believe how it works is the lights are made for the wattage ratting they are set at.. If the lights a 105w and its got a 75 power rated socket then the light wouldn't be getting proper feed either also causing some problems but I kinda believe that for that side of it it may just irritate the works of the light and cause it to burn out alot quicker

so that thing like you said is rated for 75 watts, probably 16 gauge wire - will it work most likely. is the metal going to melt, no----BUT

(assuming it has UL sticker on it)did they test it in labs and determine they will stamp it up to a max 75 watt bulb, yes. did they try 105 watt bulbs and decide not to stick that on it, maybe.

if i were in a bind and could be there all day without leaving it alone i might try it. if u do do it go in and touch it often enough and check for heat, the main handle where the bulb screws in AND the cord. if its hot to touch thats bad. warm is probably ok.

Lmao..... Exactly w/ the butt...... And ya at least for a little while I'll be able to be here.. This will be 2 of them in my closet kinda like a trial in a way I guess if it works im going to get 6 more for the tent for larger plant transferals.. Wouldn't mind getting a smoke detector either for the just in case.. But also just in case, since I'll mostly be here i don't want to have some blaring thing going off it it does go bad and im right here while its screaming to all the neighbors in the apartments this dude just fuk'd up in his weed closet..fire.!.!.

Oh I am going to get the right rated socket/receptical/ reflector hood made for it but waiting till I get the $.. Besides my landlord never made me switch the electric into my name because I was supposed to move into a larger apartment he was fixing.. But the dude procrastinates and when he says a month and a 1/2 he means a year.. So his dime.. But the light and anything lost if it doesnt work out good ya I would be sad to loose..

Lmao..... Exactly w/ the butt...... And ya at least for a little while I'll be able to be here.. This will be 2 of them in my closet kinda like a trial in a way I guess if it works im going to get 6 more for the tent for larger plant transferals.. Wouldn't mind getting a smoke detector either for the just in case.. But also just in case, since I'll mostly be here i don't want to have some blaring thing going off it it does go bad and im right here while its screaming to all the neighbors in the apartments this dude just fuk'd up in his weed closet..fire.!.!.

i didn't understand your plan. i thought it was just for a bit tell u get better lights

with your plan of 6 of these fire hazards in a closet i would say never do that.

i would say go buy the right stuff or do not do it. 6 or those in a closet, you would have to be crazy. if you burn down your house you could burn down other peoples houses.

bad idea !!!

105 watts on a 120V circuit is only less than 1 amp. Even 18 gauge wire can carry that without the cable getting hot.

The rating is for the socket itself to not overheat which is caused by the base of your bulb, not the 1 amp of current you will be drawing.

Be safe and change it out if you don't believe, the 70W max rating is mainly for incandescent bulbs which get HOTTTTTTTT even at only 60 watts.

But yea I understand the paranoia, apartments and homes made out of wood are kinda funny when it comes to fires, tornadoes and what not :laughtwo::laughtwo::rofl::popcorn:

Source : Electrical Engineer

K, if I have a 105w but and a 75w drop light receptical for it will the buld work properly..
Will it get hot and burn out
Will it just not work to its full potential

What are the problems if any would there be behind using this for now till i can get the proper equip for the buld.. I plugged it in earlier and it ran the full 5 min to fully kick on but not sure what the long term effect would be.. Would the drop light receptical get hot because of the larger wattage light being used in it.. Could it even eventually pose a fire hazard.
Let me know what you think about it please.. I need it to work for possibly 2 - 2 1/2 most if I can get away with it.. If not I'll have to find a way to manage without other things I really need..
105 Watt compact fluorescent replaces 400 Watt incandescent light bulb so if your drop light is only rated at 75 watt you'll deffently have to upgrade
No no no.. Those are for later i just have the 2 and they are individual set ups on different power sources as well

Sent from my SM-N930V using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Back
Top Bottom