Any ideas on how to create a carbon filter?

Orange Crush

I will begin by saying that this isn't for a grow operation. What I really would like to create is some sort of carbon filter for me to blow smoke through. My parents aren't too fond of the smell and I dislike smoking outside. I know activated carbon has incredible surface area on a microscopic view and it easily bonds to many different compounds.

So a couple ideas for materials are

-Activated carbon for fish Filters

-Carbon prefilters for tower fans

-My friend suggested the replaceable Brita carbon water filters

Please don't suggest Ozium or ONA blocks. I know they assist well but Ozium doesn't work immediatly and ONA doesn't cut it for me.

Thanks all who can try to help.

-Jared.

Crush my man just forget all that build it yourself bullshit...its great for evrrything except filtering...your gonna spend 30 bux building this thing and cut yourself up with netting and steel wiring and ducting...just ebay or our sponsors my man..i got a 4" fat boy 18" tall carbon filter, ready to install off ebay for 44 bux...its the one of a couple of things ive gotten new and im glad i did...hope this helps...i know it not what you were asking...sorry..

:ciao:

Oh and crush i got it delivered in 3 days for freeeeeeeee.....Do-it....Do-it....

a think wat canna said is ya best option but if not you could allways try a carbon filter for a gas mask sound unorthadox but worth a go lol :peacetwo:

Crack the window during your smoke session, have the fan blow out the smoke. For carbon to work effectively strong air pull/push required. The pressure will press the particles (ordor) onto get stuck on the carbon's surface area, trapping them in. This is where inline fan comes into play, they have a strong pull/push. You can either make a scrubber or vent it out the window with no odor. The fan will not be cheap but if you get the Vortex it has 10yrs warranty. Also, later when you decide to grow (not sure if you're growing now) you got one less item to purchase...

This is my DIY scrubber. Works great for cleaning out plant's perfume and my smoke session.

MG_0734.jpg
MG_0730.jpg

Crack the window during your smoke session, have the fan blow out the smoke. For carbon to work effectively strong air pull/push required. The pressure will press the particles (ordor) onto get stuck on the carbon's surface area, trapping them in. This is where inline fan comes into play, they have a strong pull/push. You can either make a scrubber or vent it out the window with no odor. The fan will not be cheap but if you get the Vortex it has 10yrs warranty. Also, later when you decide to grow (not sure if you're growing now) you got one less item to purchase...

This is my DIY scrubber. Works great for cleaning out plant's perfume and my smoke session.

MG_0734.jpg
MG_0730.jpg

Do you have any instructions on how to make one of these? Like a list of materials and detailed instructions?

Do you have any instructions on how to make one of these? Like a list of materials and detailed instructions?

Unfortunately, I do not have instruction. The DIY were spontaneous and completed in one hour. If you are interested in builting one, I can only offer you the instructions from memory.

Supplies:

- 12 Cable ties 4in or a few 1ft cable tie
- 1 plastic container with 4in round opening
- 4in inline fan
- 1 roll of Window net screen to collect dust which prolong the pellets inside
- 1 Nail (to make the holes around the plastic container. Make sure the nail diameter is smaller than the carbon pellet or they will fall out)
- Carbon Pellets (how much depends on how large the plastic container is)

Steps:
1. Was the carbon pellets until the water runs clear then air dry it
2. Use the nail and heat it up, make holes around the plastic container 360 degree
3. Once that is done put the dry carbon pellet inside and fill it up.
4. Cut the window net screen 6-7 inch in diameter to cover up the 4in plastic opening from having the carbon pellet falling out.
5. Secure the net in place with the 4in cable ties. You will need to connect the 4in ties together to form a long piece. Unless you use the 1ft ties. The 4in was what I had...
6. Cut out the window net screen with the same measurement on the side of the plastic container.
7. Warp it up and secure it with the cable ties
8. Place the complete DIY carbon filter on top of the 4in inline fan (the pull up).
9. Tape up the two together so that the carbon filter stays in place.
10. Get something to support the fan for the push side to have space for air to flow through.

I use airpots (already have) and just place it as how you see on the photo. Air pulls in from top through the carbon pellets, cleans the air, and push it through the bottom. Since the bottom is closed, the airpots has holes 360 degrees along the sides that's where air flows through.

My design is from the material of what I had available at the time. If I were to remake this it will be much different.

Back
Top Bottom