Any Octopot, Kratky Method Growers?

Hotwheels

420 Member
Im planning an Octopot, Kratky spinoff autofill DIY for my next grow, and could use some advice. This will be my first attempt at Kratky so here's what I'm thinking. 6" Wide lip net pot, in a 5 Gal. fabric pot. Sitting on top of hopefully a 9 gallon Black tote with the yellow checkered lids. Nutes; 50% recommended GH grow and bloom with sweeteners. Water with an auto fill tank. Run it in the Kratky method, No air stone. Medium will be promix/ seasoil/ and 40% Perelite. Here's where the questions start. With transpiration, and an auto fill, do i add my nutes once a week to the 9 Gal tote and auto fill with plain h2o ? Or mix up nutes in the auto fill reservoir and continously feed ? I'm guessing its the tote. Other than N-P-K Would you add dolomite, and if so in the soil or res ? Am I missing anything. Calmag ? True to Kratky, I wasn't planning on draining the tote just topping up. Lighting will be tsl2000
This is the route I'm wanting to explore, so what do you think ?

Im glad no one said " Dr. Bernard Kratky just buy an Octopot .....
Thanks for the advice no pun intended, but I'm ok with learning. I'm ok with failure.
I added this in the hydro thread section hoping for someone would add some advice.

@Weaselcracker is/was/can be an octopotter,, and very much diy
I didn't think this is a foolish endeavor. I have 4 months to figure out synthetics to start with since I'm trying to get away from top feeding. I'm just done with watering, root rot, drainage, salt build up, and the list goes on. Now with a few grows under my belt im looking for diy minded people. As of now all I'm attracting is don't bother.

I didn't think this is a foolish endeavor. I have 4 months to figure out synthetics to start with since I'm trying to get away from top feeding. I'm just done with watering, root rot, drainage, salt build up, and the list goes on. Now with a few grows under my belt im looking for diy minded people. As of now all I'm attracting is don't bother.

Yeah, its almost like there's a message in the fact that everyone is telling you not to do it.

Not everyone Kong, just you. Let it go ! Step away from the key board. You made your comment.
Now Roll 1 up and mellow down the trolling.
Thanks for the driving lesson

Check out weaselcrackers hexapus journal. I have no clue if you are heading this way or not. Cpl posts in he chats your chat perhaps

Im planning an Octopot, Kratky spinoff autofill DIY for my next grow, and could use some advice. This will be my first attempt at Kratky so here's what I'm thinking. 6" Wide lip net pot, in a 5 Gal. fabric pot. Sitting on top of hopefully a 9 gallon Black tote with the yellow checkered lids. Nutes; 50% recommended GH grow and bloom with sweeteners. Water with an auto fill tank. Run it in the Kratky method, No air stone. Medium will be promix/ seasoil/ and 40% Perelite. Here's where the questions start. With transpiration, and an auto fill, do i add my nutes once a week to the 9 Gal tote and auto fill with plain h2o ? Or mix up nutes in the auto fill reservoir and continously feed ? I'm guessing its the tote. Other than N-P-K Would you add dolomite, and if so in the soil or res ? Am I missing anything. Calmag ? True to Kratky, I wasn't planning on draining the tote just topping up. Lighting will be tsl2000
This is the route I'm wanting to explore, so what do you think ?
I made my own Octopot set up and it works great. 5 gallon fabric over a 5 gallon tote. Add the nutes to your big tank and let the system distribute it.
An Octopot set up isn't rocket science. If you're handy, give it a shot. It worked well for me the first time and now every time.

Back
Top Bottom