Learning Curve

PetFlora

About 4 months ago I decided to do a personal use grow. I went with hydro- well, aero using a bubbler/drip system. Growing in a very small space- 3 X 3 1/2 shower stall. I replaced my 400 watt HID/HPS with a new generation UFO LED. I bought a starter/clone set up and grow set up from aerocustoms- good prices and good service.

Alas, I made almost every mistake possible, too high ppm, nutes too warm, light too far away. I found the drip head to be a pain and the large tank too deep, which required me to use way too much water and nutes to get within an inch of the nets. I set the tote on a plastic crate that had a much smaller footprint. The water weight caused the tote to buckle. It turned out to be a pain in my ass, but I would not be deterred. It was the wrong choice the way I was using it, but I see now it would be great for a spray bar/stacked res set up.

I replaced this with a 15 liter (16 qt) tote. FYI- as your roots break free of the nets, and hang, it is no longer necessary to have the oxygenating nutes within an inch, BUT the more air space the greater the chances the roots will dry out. Bubblers ain't all they're cracked up to be, at least beyond germination/cloning.

I added a fogger, but it made the nutes too warm. At first I manged the high temp by adding jugs of frozen water. Then I put the fogger in a separate tote (side by side) connecting the two totes via a 2" diameter tube. That worked, but I had to cut a hole in the top of the fog tote and aim a small fan to push the fog into the grow tote.

Within two months the roots were 6" long and hanging in the nutes. I started to get algae (this can also cause root rot!), but even with the fog the roots were too dry. Growth came to a stand still. Time for yet a deeper tote, but not the original 18 gallon. I ordered a 14 gallon (with a spray bar), which should be here any day.

I read that the key to keeping spray heads from clogging is to use organic nutes! The spray bar will solve the roots drying out problem and provide considerably more nutes to the roots, BUT the pump will be submerged in the nutes and will no doubt add heat. What to do?

While Youtubing, I came across a DIY video. This guy is using 2 totes- stacking one the other with cut outs in between. He simply uses a long riser between his pump and spray bar, which is attached directly into the pump! This is beginning to make the sense. Doubling the air chamber will help the pump heat to dissipate. I am thinking of adding lava rock to the bottom to further cool the nutes. Also, will try the fogger in here as well, but due to the increase volume I may need several foggers or a multi-head fogger.

Aerocustoms makes a 14 G spray bar set up with pump, 6 nets, net holes cut, and hydroton for $80! (For my next grow I will replace rockwool/hydroton with 'suretogrow' - google it. Once the 14 G arrives, I will go to Walmart/K-Mart... and get a second tote. Cut holes in the bottom of the plant tote, and the top of the reservoir to connect the riser and to allow for the spray nutes to return to the reservoir. I might even experiment with lava rock around the drain holes for further cooling. This set up should be easy to maintain, and allow me to really push the grow.

Due to guests in November, I had to go to 12/12 on this crop, but plants still grow so it will be interesting to see how much with this new set up.

welcome. pics would help us.
I would not use thick organic nutes. I have them now and you do not want them for your setup.

I dont use mist heads my man. Im VERY happy with the FloraNova goop.....even if it resembles the mess of 9 hrs of drinking NightTrain

everything is good..just get your 400 hps back..trust me those UFOs arent even worth paper weights..if you want to waist your time trying to grow somthing that looks not even resembling good hard solid nugs then go ahead and use the ufo...however if you have the 400 watt..you can use the ufo wit hthe 400s but not the other way around..and FYI leds are getting better results when there far away,,,at the 2 ,3 and even 4 feet range...but supplement is the key...leds with hps ..not only leds... they have made tens of 1000s of dollars selling that shitty light to newbies thinking is the cure all save all way to grow bud...even a 400 watt hps can grow from 12 to 16 oz of bud and it doesnt use as much power as most tvs..

Blanket statements like yours serve no purpose.

Ever had a bad experience with a girl/woman, or man should that be your persuation? Should that have stopped you from dating others? Ever have a bad car/truck/SUV... would you advise people not to buy a vehicle?

Older LED technology was lacking. I can tell you this: I did numerous grows in the same room with my 400 watt MH/HPS, and NEVER saw the thick growth I have with my new model UFO. That said, my next light will be rectangular, and probably from hydro-grow-led. Their website offers tremendous insite on what makes for a great LED light system.

Last year I grew outdoors (S Florida), in organic soil; my UFO is every bit as good so far- 3rd week of bloom!

Blanket statements like yours serve no purpose.

Ever had a bad experience with a girl/woman, or man should that be your persuation? Should that have stopped you from dating others? Ever have a bad car/truck/SUV... would you advise people not to buy a vehicle?

Older LED technology was lacking. I can tell you this: I did numerous grows in the same room with my 400 watt MH/HPS, and NEVER saw the thick growth I have with my new model UFO. That said, my next light will be rectangular, and probably from hydro-grow-led. Their website offers tremendous insite on what makes for a great LED light system.

Last year I grew outdoors (S Florida), in organic soil; my UFO is every bit as good so far- 3rd week of bloom!

haa man what ever.. post pics if your proud to show your better then hps system...untill then your bs...i use to work for a company that holds the patent for the led light technology..soo dont tell me i don't know shit..i have been working with leds for the last 3 to 4 years..before people even thought they were possible...we use to sell them to colleges and high schools for a safe alternative ot hps in class rooms and such and to ad light to already hps systems..we use to laugh about pot growers they would call and ask all the questions and the long story shortthey dont work well for growing pot on there own...leds are ment to be suplments with hps...say you have a 250 or 400 watt hps ...then have 2 to 3 led bars around the light... ..however our product was proven by research not by some closet grower junky thats having too much fun with there soldering guns . these here today gone tomarrow companies come and go.. and take peoples money for having them think is the holy grail of lights...well it isnt...look at that UFO..when it first came out...theres was a 6 month back order and they were going for 2x the retail price...now ..people cant even give them away cus they dont work....
even on there websit of the hydro-grow-led..the comparision pics..of how LEDs is better then HPS>.bull shit..look at the plants and even look at the grow rocks right next to them...there the leafs were yellow as if they were underfeed high salts in the system can be seen cus of the white grow rocks with the hps system and you dont see that with the leds...t... for 400$ you can have a nice dimmable 600 watt digital quantum hps/hm with bulb and hood with a lot to spare with shipping.
to save 400 watts on a system is a understatement giving your desktop cpu can draw a 1400 watts and those space heaters that some people have 2 to 5 of in a house can draw 1500..soo do the math... plus those lights have fans all over cus there using high heat leds...the tech is far from being there ..a 250 hps could out preform there 128 watt light...big pile of junk....however i don't put off that leds are makeing there way..however theres goona need to be a lot of time and research as the prices are too high to off set the lack of production that one light gives to its hps counterpart..

and fyi plants need heat..the heat of a hps is why most first time growers with hps systems have good results....granted that its not too hot..

your right
there are alot of pics showing that leds dont come anywhere near hps..and you changing the subject of saything i dont have to show you pics proves that...if leds worked as well as they say they do you would see them everywhere however there only about 5 to 10% of people on the net that use leds.....or even less...

Clearly you are not looking for the numerous current LED grows. YOu sound like a guy with a huge investment in old technology when you say that only 5-10% are using LEDs. This is a gross exaggeration.

The smart move is away from power hungry,heat generating, low life expectancy and poor overall spectrum light bulbs such as MH and HPS and towards LEDs.

Clearly you are not looking for the numerous current LED grows. YOu sound like a guy with a huge investment in old technology when you say that only 5-10% are using LEDs. This is a gross exaggeration.

The smart move is away from power hungry,heat generating, low life expectancy and poor overall spectrum light bulbs such as MH and HPS and towards LEDs.
Old technology? HA! LEDs are still not there, and if you want good yields and results they are certainly not the way to go. Simply put, I have not seen one grow producing great yields with LEDs.
LED UFO Video & Feedback

haha pet//how about you press the refresh button theres not even a single led grow on the top44 resently threads...leds dont put out shit compared to hps...and hps is tryed and proven..leds are new and un developed

Well lets not get crazy over this the test have been done over and over. LED dont cut it in big grows.They need abit of help at the end.I have said it before ill say it again dont try to take a hybrid to a drag race you will get there but you dont have the performace to compete.some people need LED just because of the space they grow in.They also only need so much yield and it does work in certain aplication.All the big grows with the big yield still use HPS hands down.LED have not come as far as they need to for the big growers atm.And yes only about 5% of the grows here are LED.Speak with some of them they have been working with them.some have the dialed in.

Back
Top Bottom