Tote in a tote DWC idea - Tell me what you think please

TWINTURBODOGO

Ok so we grow in DWC in totes or 5g buckets with lids.

Now we're only on our 2nd grow and are learning.
But I'm thinking to make water changes easier. Right now to have to remove the lid containing the plant and roots. Without it tipping over or hurting the plant, is a pain!

By having a resivour tote, then a second smaller tote or bucket inside the res tote holding the plant. This way when time for a water change. I can just pull the smaller plant tote out of the resivour tote. Then dump the res tote, refill it and put it back. Then lower the plant tote back into the fresh res.

Now the smaller bucket would obviously have holes drilled in the bottom to allow it to fil with water once in the res tote.
I also think the air stones and any equipment can be in the res tote. Separate from the plants, so no tangled roots around air stones and hoses to fight with.

What do you guys think, am I just making things harder?
Am I over thinking things and totally missing an easier way to do water changes?

Greetings Twin,

I think that can be useful although, where will you be putting that smaller bucket while you change the bottom tote? Roots will probably be huge and popping out of that bucket, and you can't sit it anywhere in a way you don't hurt the roots. Remember that roots are very sensitive.

I do DWC myself and all I do to change the reservoir's water is to apply a submersible water pump, a hose attached to it, and drain it out. Then I do the opposite to put the new nutrient mix in. I always have a extra tote to mix in the nutrients before pumping them in the growing totes (where the lids with the plants go; those don't move throughout the grow). I have some jugs that I take to fill with the old nutrient solution, and then I drop those on local under watered wild vegetation, that could use some human help.

You can upgrade to a recirculating DWC system, but that takes a lot of work and a bit of money. that's if you are going DYI, because if you buy shop's Recirculating DWC Systems, they are expensive, and buying them takes no time. Note that all plants will be under the same water and you can't tweak each one of them to its very own needs.

I hope I have helped. Jump in my old journal if you want more detailed info.

Good luck and hoping to put my eyes on a journal of yours.
:Namaste:

I just use a transfer pump. It makes things easy. TERAPUMP Portable Power Water / Fuel Battery Pumps

1666645041005.png

I use z7 water treatment. When using that there is no need to wash anything. I have not washed anything for years and all of my buckets and stones look like new.

I never change my buckets out fully until I flush at the end. Years ago I washed and changed everything every week. What a pain and waste of time that was. Now I just put a little z7 in and it does all the work.

When I clone I use old unwashed clippers to make all my cuts and then I put them in a spray cloner with just tap water and z7. There is no need for anything else and 99.9% of the time within 4 days I will have roots showing.

That stuff is a game changer.

Here is from their website.

(Z7 is a super concentrated, two-part, proprietary probiotic enzymatic cleanser. Z7 is not a plant food; it simply allows plant foods to work better because the nutrients can get into the roots easier. Growers report a 25% decrease in plant food costs. Z7 increases the chances that the plant will grow to its genetic potential because it is constantly cleansing the root system. Z7 is to be used at every watering or feeding; Field growers should apply Z7 at first planting and whenever possible thereafter.

Z7 is super concentrated and economical for indoor and commercial growers; It costs only 2.5 cents per gallon of nutrient treated (calculated on the MSRP). A one gallon set treats 7,570 gallons of nutrient. Set sizes available: 8, 16 and 32 ounce, 1 gallon, 2.5 gallon and 5 gallon.

Z7 is naturally steeped with 100% of the ingredients being certified organic, natural or food grade. Z7’s revolutionary formula contains no oils, detergents, soaps, surfactants, chlorine, hydrogen peroxide, colloidal silver or harsh chemicals.)

I tried all kinds of things. Because i had all kinds of issues pop up. Like root rot.
But this stuff has worked the best for me. No root rot in 2 years.
z7 and good 3part and tap water with up and down is all that is needed (maybe a little cal/mag from time to time) to grow without any kind of root issues and it will make it where there is no need to change out water/nutes or clean anything till the end when I flush with tap water.

That's really cool, I watched a YouTube video about it.

Does it replace hydroguard or used in addition to hydroguard?

Here are some pics of a quick first attempt. Already have some things that can be improved on.

Like WAY more holes in the bucket for one.

745d695b8e1bdd5b6bc5343b7f8dcb27.jpg

721007b791b297d06d9844297bc04a93.jpg

8de103309a966b6b887a0f9309d498ab.jpg

f7da68096f316b938a1814da053eb4db.jpg

Don't laugh at my panda film mess lol.

That setup looks are cool.

But it also looks like it could be a pain in the butt with some plants.

I do not like lifting my plants up. I just slide the lids on my buckets over a little where I can check the ph or add water/nutes.

I use 5gal buckets with 6"netpot tops. That way I can grow some pretty big plants and never have to pick them up.

I found out the hard way that picking them up can brake limbs or tops. Plus you have to have the room to pick them up under the lights and the way you are lifting would put to much weight on my tent with the lights weight already up there.

I try to keep things as simple as I can.

Back
Top Bottom