Anyone here buddhist?

Yes, I am. I began by exploring the HIndu traditions about 25 years ago, then graduated to Buddhism. I followed Mahayana, then Vajrayana, then moved into Dzogchen.

MelT

I really like a lot of the Buddhist stuff that I hear. I also really dislike some of it. I just can't seem to wrap my head around the "To be at peace you must want absolutely nothing" part of it. It seems like that goes as harshly against human nature as the Christian's "sins". Not to say that I don't think we need to go against human instinct to become better personally and culturally, but I don't see the point in taking it that far, really. But I do really really enjoy quite a bit of the other stuff Buddhists have to say.

I really like a lot of the Buddhist stuff that I hear. I also really dislike some of it. I just can't seem to wrap my head around the "To be at peace you must want absolutely nothing" part of it. It seems like that goes as harshly against human nature as the Christian's "sins".

The trouble is that most people's impressions of Buddhism are (thorugh no fault of their own) assumed from knowing a little about basic Mahayana Buddhism. In particular this tradition emphasises the need for morality to help reach enlightenment, giving the idea that that's pretty much all it's about. But learning to think and act morally is purely to help make meditation easier, it's a tool. As you progress through higher forms it takes a back seat, as does traditional meditation to some extent, replaced not by learning to focus on things more and more deeply, but by understanding the true nature of reality in the correct way.

The idea that you're talking about is based on the statement 'samsara is Dukka'; i.e. samsara= reality - is Dukka= impermanent/stressful/desire/suffering, etc.

The meaning is that, as our lives and reality itself go through constant changes, we all tend to worry about losing what we have, or gaining what we don't. Our needs (which aren't necessarily based on actual needs, just desires) drive us and, unless we have exactly what we want at all times we can stay in a state of desire, which prevents us from relaxing into the moment and experiencing reality fully. If this is the case then again, it would prevent us from meditating properly and reaching realisation. This isn't to say that we regard desire as being bad, it's just an obstacle to meditational progress.

As you go a little deeper you realise that it isn't your desire for things that's really the problem, but attachment to them. Once you transcend attachment, desire disappears, the mind becomes pliable, happy and calm. But being a Buddhist doesn't mean that the every Buddhist should try to suppress needs and hopes, just see that although they are very natural, much of the time they're what leads to feelings of disatisfactoryness.

Your statement that 'we' should want nothing is really aimed more correctly at monks who are aiming for enlightenment - though it's still relevant to everyone - that realisation (in some senses 'peace', but not entirely - enlightenment is a state of knowledge too) can only come once you've stopped worrying about your life and the things that happen to you. As you become more adept at meditation you learn things that help you seethe true nature of reality and its meaning, and your desire for things automatically falls away. Once they have fallen away, the path to enlightenment is far easier. So, a long story short:), whether a Buddhist decides to want or not to want is based on whether or not they're wanting to head for realisation, or are hoping for a calmer mind and life. If not, you could still quite happily be a Buddhist and follow its other tennets instead.

Hope this helps,

MelT

Interesting... Thanks for explaining it a little more to me. Makes more sense than the extremist version I'd been hearing. I guess I might be Buddhist on some level, but I still have problems with the whole organized religion thing. I seek enlightenment within myself, I've never had success following anybody else's blueprint.

Thanks again for the info though. I love to learn about the different religions beliefs. Cheers.

Interesting... Thanks for explaining it a little more to me. Makes more sense than the extremist version I'd been hearing. I guess I might be Buddhist on some level, but I still have problems with the whole organized religion thing.

If it helps, Buddhism isn't a religion - although in a few countries it mght seem that way. To some extent it's way of living, although our moral code is self imposed and policed. Primarily though, being a buddhist means someone seeking enlightenment. We don't worship Buddha, but venerate him.

I seek enlightenment within myself, I've never had success following anybody else's blueprint.

Then I hope you'll find the following interesting. First and foremost in Buddhism, prove everything to yourself to your own satisfaction, take nothing for granted, no matter who says it.

Do not believe in anything
simply because you have heard it.
Do not believe in traditions
simply because they have been
handed down for many generations.
simply because it is spoken
and rumoured by many.
simply because it is found
written in your religious books.
merely on the authority of your
teachers and elders.
But when, after observation
and analysis, you find anything
that agrees with reason,
and is conducive to the good
and benefit of one and all,
then accept it and live up to it.

The Buddha's Kalama Sutra

MelT

Hey another Buddhist!! I practice a form which is based out of the lotus sutra. . . Nichiren Daishonin's Buddhism, basicly, its foundation is cause and effect, through word, thought, and deed. I am also a member of SGI, Soka Gakkai International. I have been practicing for nearly 7 years. I used to be quite active in SGI, but then my daughter was born and have been throwing her all my free time. . . Its a pleasure to meet you. . . :peace:

I do not consider myself buddhist, but I have studied it and I agree with many parts of it. Some of the ideas I have incorporated into how I live, but I wouldn't say I am buddhist.

Buddhism is more philosophy than religion. . . so you would fit just nicely. . .:peace:

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = Hi All! I am or should I say, I used to be a Buddhist (Japanese, Nichiren Diashonin's Buddhism) here in L.A. from 1996 to about 2000 or 2001 or so, as I started to do lots of Historic research and found there were Many "splits" in the religion - so even though I chanted, got a Gohonzon, practised & studied . . . I found many things had been and IS being altered/changed - so I moved onto being a Spiritual (non-religous!) person who was born a Roman Catholic ("splits" there, too + in 1963-64 there were changes done!), converted to LDS or Mormonism in 1994-95, and now AM getting Ordained as a "Reverend" or Minister online at the various CANNABIS Churches or Temples!!! See: Cannabis Association or WWW.ULC.org or google "Cantheism" Hope this helps - for "Religious" (spiritual) Cannabis smokers and/or MMJ Patients! ="Rev."Judy=

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = Hi All! I am or should I say, I used to be a Buddhist (Japanese, Nichiren Diashonin's Buddhism) here in L.A. from 1996 to about 2000 or 2001 or so, as I started to do lots of Historic research and found there were Many "splits" in the religion - so even though I chanted, got a Gohonzon, practised & studied . . . I found many things had been and IS being altered/changed - so I moved onto being a Spiritual (non-religous!) person who was born a Roman Catholic ("splits" there, too + in 1963-64 there were changes done!), converted to LDS or Mormonism in 1994-95, and now AM getting Ordained as a "Reverend" or Minister online at the various CANNABIS Churches or Temples!!! See: The Cannabis Assembly, Free guidance and support for the legal religious use of cannabis or Universal Life Church Monastery - Online Ordination and Minister Training or google "Cantheism" Hope this helps - for "Religious" (spiritual) Cannabis smokers and/or MMJ Patients! ="Rev."Judy=

Yeah it is unfortunate that SGI has been banned from the temple. . . we can not visit the Dai-Gohonzon any longer. . . (for those of you who don't know what a Gohonzon is, its an inscribed scroll that we use as the focus for chanting and daimoku (daimoku is chanting Nam-myoho-renge-kyo). The scroll is also inscribed with the ten worlds ( which relates to 10 states of being, or life conditions) . Anyway, there have been many splits in buddhism. . . Nichren's buddhism was a split. . . from his time and on it became known as the "latter day of the law" I think its natural for this to happen. . . In the 70's and 80's, there were those in SGI that would pass out pamphlets that would say Chant for a new T.V., a new car. . . etc. trying to get more memebers. They finally split off. . . thankfully. . .lol

I believe with something like buddhism, there is bond to be change. . . :peace:

ive been reading alot about buddhism and it interests me alot, I am thinking about getting into it a little more, I tend to be more interested in it after I smoke...but then I sober up and its still interesting, which is rare for me haha

I'm not practicing Buddhist but know a fair amount. Especially respect the Tibetan way because it respects women but have always been more drawn to to the spirit of India and the yogis. I consider myself a free spirit but consider Buddhism the most honest "religion." It cuts through all the different windows and different religions and different concepts and goes straight to the Essence and eases the suffering that Life is. Hope more Buddhists find this site. Now, back to tokin'......

Nichiren Daishonin wrote many letters to his followers during his lifetime. . . mainly because he was exiled and it was his only form of communication for years. .. one of these letters is called "A Ship to Cross the Sea of Suffering" It happens to be a favorite of mine. . . in this letter he describes that daimoku of the lotus sutra is the "ship" that can unfailingly transport one across the sea of life's inevitable sufferings to the distant shore of enlightenment.

"In the latter day of the law, the votary of the Lotus Sutra will apear without fail. The greater the hardships befalling him, the greater the delight he feels, because of his strong faith. Doesn't a fire burn more briskly when logs are added? All rivers flow into the sea, but does the sea turn back their waters? The currents of hardship pour into the sea of the Lotus Sutra and rush against its votary. The river is not rejected by the ocean; nor does the votary reject suffering. Were it not for the flowing rivers, there would be no sea. Likewise, without tribulation there would be no votary of the Lotus Sutra."

We speak a lot about suffering and how its inevitable and necessary.:peace:

Anyone know any good books on buddhism? Any good books for newcomers...im not really looking for the religion aspect but more the spiritual, I have been reading about buddhism since I saw this thread and I agree with everything I have read...thanks in advance!

alright cool man I definately will check it out...thanks!!

Back
Top Bottom