Aspergillus Contamination

Mitchell Florn

ASPERGILLUS CONTAMINATION.....PLEASE READ THROUGH THE LINKS!! MY BACKGROUND IS A BIOPHARMACEUTICAL MICROBIOLOGIST.....INFECTIOUS DISEASE.

Oregon Cannabis Testing and Aspergillus: May You Live in Interesting Times - Cannabis Business Executive - Cannabis and Marijuana industry news

By Vince Sliwoski, Attorney at Harris Bricken On February 16, I blogged on the new Oregon cannabis testing requirements that were scheduled to take effect (and did take effect) on March 1.…
www.cannabisbusinessexecutive.com

Arizona: Possible Aspergillus contamination prompts recall of marijuana products - Outbreak News Today

By NewsDesk @bactiman63 The Arizona Department of Health Services (ADHS) reported recently on a voluntary recall of certain marijuana products due to possible contamination with with the fungus, Aspergillus. The products were cultivated by PP Wellness and sold at multiple locations with the...
outbreaknewstoday.com

www.westword.com/marijuana/colorado-springs-dispensary-medical-marijuana-recall-mold-aspergillus-testing-15324925#:~:text=Nearly%20200%20harvest%20batches%20of,of%20aspergillus%2C%20mold%20and%20yeast.

https://ascopubs.org/doi/10.1200/JCO.2007.15.2777

Aspergillus: The Most Dangerous Cannabis Pathogen

I agree, Aspergillus is a very nasty nasty mold that can cause horrible human immune system issues. From what I've read the spores can travel far and once it gets into the human body it can rapidly spread into many tissues and systems and is near impossible for doctors to cure in some people.

I know in California, all legal cannabis is tested for Aspergillus before its allowed to enter the market which is the way it should be.

I used to work as the compliance manager for a legal volatile extraction manufacture and although biomass that tested positive for aspergillus can be remediated through a series of filters, chemical compounds and distillation, my biggest concern was always the dry biomass being loaded into our extraction tubes and the employees inhaling the spores. Proper SOP's protocols, training and PPE and facility design can definitely prevent mishaps, but rules and procedures are only good up until someone doesn't follow them. Better to not work with contaminated biomass.

Really nasty stuff you definitely do not want to inhale and let it get a foothold in your body, especially those who are immune compromised.

Back
Top Bottom