Autoflower Topping

Got pics?
420-magazine-mobile178339435.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1656011924.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1408173516.jpg
you can't see it bud nothing grew from.my top attempt on any of the four nyc d auto s candy cane bounce well they are very well for noobs lol I'll get better picture this evening and show you lights off now here.

I'm growing some CKS Revolver autos and one got "accidentally topped" maybe 2 weeks ago. I've seen on YouTube that it's not a good idea to top autos but mine took right off with growing tips. She has something like 10 strong growths coming out now. Probably a couple weeks from buds, but she has pre-flowers in the nodes.

DSCI0803a.jpg

I've run a couple packs of Candy Cane and Northern Lights Autos from CKS and I've found that topping and LST work out well up until they start throwing pistils and I would even say critical to get a good yield however transplanting is the real danger with these strains.

I've topped my NL and CC autos twice in the past without issue and they've outperformed the siblings that I let be. That said, I believe that these techniques will prolong the growing cycle so it will take longer for them to reach maturity and you really need to learn to identify "done" with them; harvesting at the advertised time will likely leave you short.

I have found these autos to be good for practicing and learning to read plants better but after running more than a few packs of seeds, I'm on 100% photo strains now. The flexibility of veg duration to increase yield and maturity before going to flower, the forgiveness afforded to transplant or recover from mistakes, the ability to run a plant that you like after you've harvested it, these are all reasons that I'm happy to leave these Autos in my past. All the rest I have will be getting dropped in the ground to grow outdoors at their own pace and without my interference.

I got that pack of autos because they are advertised as good beginner strains. My plant has a whole lot of stems budding now. It started the beginning of this week, so I guess bu the end of next month it should be ready to harvest, according to the timeline. If topping it will add to it a bit, I'll go by the looks of the pistils and trichomes. I'm still an extreme beginner, and the sister plant to the one I posted here is drying up and shriveling pretty fierce and I don't know why; they are being treated the same. Anyway, I have some photoperiod White Widows backing it up, but they are still in the early stages yet. I'm just hoping my skills will improve before they get to the stage where I can get them to bud.

I got that pack of autos because they are advertised as good beginner strains. My plant has a whole lot of stems budding now. It started the beginning of this week, so I guess bu the end of next month it should be ready to harvest, according to the timeline. If topping it will add to it a bit, I'll go by the looks of the pistils and trichomes. I'm still an extreme beginner, and the sister plant to the one I posted here is drying up and shriveling pretty fierce and I don't know why; they are being treated the same. Anyway, I have some photoperiod White Widows backing it up, but they are still in the early stages yet. I'm just hoping my skills will improve before they get to the stage where I can get them to bud.

Only way to go is up! You can only add to your skills, not take away from them as far as I'm concerned.

If I'm reading what you've wrote correctly, the auto has gone into flower already? If that's the case don't top it. Only top during veg.

Also, your WW photos are a lot more forgiving with the learning curve since they have more recovery time (as much as you give until flipping to 12/12). So you're gonna do great I'm sure, you're learning more and more just by being on these forums.

:thumb::goodjob:

Thanks for the good words. The plant actually got accidentally topped a number of weeks ago when I was fumbling with an attempt at LST, but the branching took right off pretty much immediately. I had no plans on doing it, but to let it grow in one piece.

One thing I like to do when I take up a new activity is lots and lots of research. I have a B.Sc. in Environmental Biology, so I kind of have the botany part covered, but the horticulture part is another story altogether, and that's why I joined this forum and another one, growweedeasy.com . Chances are there's more than one person reading my posts that have made the same mistakes and asked the same questions.

Exactly. Understanding that a bit of "foot work" and research needs to be done is vital. You're gonna be pro in no time.

Honestly, these forums and growweedeasy were life savers when I was starting out.

I pose this question to anyone that may have an informed opinion.

Some do and some don't top, try or don't try, experiment and see what happens...I get that.
What I've been thinking a lot about is, does it not (seem) to make sound sense that it would be somewhat less risky if a person was to try topping a sativa dominant strain, like Amnesia Haze? My thinking here is, sativas grow taller and lankier as opposed to the indica chubbies.

I'm wondering if anyone has had this same thought or if they know of any research done on it.

I know this is a "contentious" issue. Anyone who want to weigh in, the opinions would be more than appreciated.

:Namaste::green_heart::allgood:
I like where you're going with this, but I wanted to try and simplify the equation.

Given that sativas are favored for their larger stature which in turn gives a higher yield. And given the idea of topping is to achieve a better surface area too volume ratio which produces more bud sites and bud production in-itself.

So with all that said, at the end of the day I see your logic as sound :eek:

Dr. GreenGenes & yyc420, ya'll are great. inadvertently topped about 1/2 of my autos and not the other 1/2, sorta got blasted
and forgot said wtf sounds like a good reason to be lazy. all are flowering and we have 5 varieties of 3 containers each so I know
there will be some good comparisons to check, measure, sign up for health care, etc. Will get them all a family portrait, now if I can just figure how to post pics., I mean see if I can talk my old lady into to doing it since i'm such a "no tech bitch".

Dr. GreenGenes & yyc420, ya'll are great. inadvertently topped about 1/2 of my autos and not the other 1/2, sorta got blasted
and forgot said wtf sounds like a good reason to be lazy. all are flowering and we have 5 varieties of 3 containers each so I know
there will be some good comparisons to check, measure, sign up for health care, etc. Will get them all a family portrait, now if I can just figure how to post pics., I mean see if I can talk my old lady into to doing it since i'm such a "no tech bitch".
Sounds great .

The ones that stunt out, seem to flower but never really stretch. They kinda just end up super short.
One interesting side observation though, is that their buds have always laid me out, even though they only produce like 20g dry, they seem nice and high thc content. Could be incredibly anecdotal though. :/

Sounds great .

The ones that stunt out, seem to flower but never really stretch. They kinda just end up super short.
One interesting side observation though, is that their buds have always laid me out, even though they only produce like 20g dry, they seem nice and high thc content. Could be incredibly anecdotal though. :/

why I like not screwing with them too much other than topping, trimming lightly, etc.(speaking only from outdoor experience, zero
knowledge about indoor). they sure do some funny shit, so I like to watch and wonder wtf they are up to. plants have personalities like people, sorta good deal for us.

Topped 2 WW on day 13
The growth was not delayed at all, maybe they were stunted for a day, but that's all.. they are very durable

Pic1 before the cut on day 13
420-magazine-mobile607264681.jpg

Pic2 day 16
420-magazine-mobile665967224.jpg

And now
420-magazine-mobile1017646424.jpg

Topped 2 WW on day 13
The growth was not delayed at all, maybe they were stunted for a day, but that's all.. they are very durable

They look fantastic.
My lil guy (ww) will be 2 weeks come friday. I'm just itching to get in there an top him.

Topped 2 WW on day 13

Pic1 before the cut on day 13
420-magazine-mobile607264681.jpg

Pic2 day 16
420-magazine-mobile665967224.jpg

And now
420-magazine-mobile1017646424.jpg
Sea of green baby ... nice!

man-o-man, exploding eyeballs everywhere. I've been so whacked before when seeing those pics I thought it was a big ass room.
it's only reflections, wow, if I see scotty out here i'll beam him down.

Back
Top Bottom