Autos that turn out to be photos

Greetings.

I'm sure this is a subject some are familiar with, but not all.

So far I've experienced this situation with two different strains, from two different breeders.

What I would like to know is, just how many people have experienced this, and who the breeder was.

I've read it happening to big names, as well as the no names. I expect it more from the smaller companies, but I know big companies are not free from a variable of issues.

So far I've had this from seeds from marijuana seeds canada, whom I will never be dealing with again. Two strains, and both had a mix of autos and photos.

The second breeder was Oasis Genetics, bought through true north seed bank. 4/5 turned out to be photos. I have 3 strains from them, and its only the Auto PK that has the issues. As it stands, I will certainly order from this breeder again, if I order from that site. Looking like seedsman is the place for me now.

I’ve got a similar problem but in reverse, I received what was marked as a photo in reality it was a auto
I train my photos so as not to let them get to tall I top at the 6 node and sort of crucified her with sticks in the shape of a cross this time. tieing her to the cross(no nails) after 3 weeks she started preflowering and now I have one big auto with lots of buds
1793262E-DF77-454D-8134-8018896B6F6C.jpeg
CA227F77-9F15-4DCB-8A2D-9C638D6696EF.jpeg

Dealing with this right now, I have 2 Northern Lights auto's going, one in coco the other in dwc, both are tall and lanky and look very similar but only showing preflowers at 8 weeks when it was supposed to be 8 weeks flowering according to the breeder, cks.

This picture was last week at 7 weeks.

20191027_233920_HDR.jpg

They're still stretching a bit since that photo, now at 23.5" in coco and 28" in dwc.

I gave one bean to my brother to try and I have 2 left from the 5 pack I bought. I hope those are actually auto's.

I have never grown an auto and doubt I ever will. Why dilute perfectly good genetics with that stuff. I have also heard stories the last few years about this problem.

I hasatate to name the seed bank, a sponsor here, hay mistakes happen u just got to roll with it
In my case anyway. Growers luv
I should have mentioned that it's been known to happen that way as well.

Only reason I wanted people to mention where it was from, is not to give the breeder bad press, but to let others know it can happen from anyone. It's not a quick and easy process making seeds, so opportunity for mistakes are definitely there. All seeds look the same, so a few can easily get mixed in by accident.

In my case though, I know of it happening to 4 people recently, all with the same strain from the same breeder.

In almost all cases with reputable breeders, it's a mistake that happens very little. When you go 4/5 for me, 4/4 for another, 2/2 for my friend, and another 2/2 with someone else. That's quite a high ratio, so I certainly let them know. No email response for 3 days. If nothing by Monday, website review it is. No blasting, just warning future buyers.

Time for an update I suppose.

Still no resolution, they don't seem to care.

I tried leaving an honest review, mentioning the issue and the one Auto that was awesome. They don't seem to allow any negative reviews, as the only ones up are positive.

Quite a shame really, as they are still currently a sponsor here.

I've germinated some more since this posting, so the new ratio is 8 photos and 1 auto.

They had come up with a resolution, which I responded immediately with my new choice for seeds, but they haven't emailed me back since the 6th of January.

I had a package of Jack Herer from Greenhouse that had both auto flower and regular genetics in it. I wasn't set up for it and the Auto ended up producing fluff little buds.

With breeders that breed both types of genetics I am sure this is going to pop up more. Pollen goes where it wants. Plus some auto's are just f-1 hybrids that will have representations of both parents.

Best to stick with people who breed just Auto's for auto flower genetics. Plus stick with the top rated companies that breed them. Same for photo strains. People who only do one thing tend to do it better.

I had a package of Jack Herer from Greenhouse that had both auto flower and regular genetics in it. I wasn't set up for it and the Auto ended up producing fluff little buds.

With breeders that breed both types of genetics I am sure this is going to pop up more. Pollen goes where it wants. Plus some auto's are just f-1 hybrids that will have representations of both parents.

Best to stick with people who breed just Auto's for auto flower genetics. Plus stick with the top rated companies that breed them. Same for photo strains. People who only do one thing tend to do it better.
Oddly enough, Oasis Genetics only offers autoflowers. That being the case, I'm not sure what happened.

The issue itself isn't what concerns me, the seedbanks poor customer service is what sucks. They offered a solution, and I accepted, but that was over two weeks ago, and they haven't responded since.

None of my orders from TNSB have worked out fully. First order was missing the selected freebie, along with a 10 pack only containing 9 seeds. This they rectified very quickly.

Second order had the same issue of there being 1 seed missing from the 10 packs, and the Sweet Cheese Auto from Sweet Seeds was from from a harvest 1 1/2 years before I purchased them. Some cracked and then did nothing, others did nothing or just started to rot and go moldy. 0-7 on those.

With those issues bound to happen again, I decided to place my next orders with Seedsman, $600 in total between the two. All future sales will be with Seedsman and Dr. Seeds, no more chances for TNSB.

Your problem probably came from poor breeding. It is probably just a F-1 of the strain they tried to turn into a auto flower and a auto male. Basically a photo female x auto male. The outcome of this would vary.

When it comes to seed banks. Customer service is important. They have nothing to do with how the seeds come out. Switching seed banks wont solve anything other than the customer service thing. You need to change breeders. Bigger seed banks have better breeders. It is not just more. You need better.

When it comes to seeds. Figure out the most you can spend for seeds then save for another month or so and buy even better genetics. Go with quality over quantity and you won't be disappointed.

I hope you find what you are looking for with your order. I know Seedsman has did good by me.

Your problem probably came from poor breeding. It is probably just a F-1 of the strain they tried to turn into a auto flower and a auto male. Basically a photo female x auto male. The outcome of this would vary.

When it comes to seed banks. Customer service is important. They have nothing to do with how the seeds come out. Switching seed banks wont solve anything other than the customer service thing. You need to change breeders. Bigger seed banks have better breeders. It is not just more. You need better.

When it comes to seeds. Figure out the most you can spend for seeds then save for another month or so and buy even better genetics. Go with quality over quantity and you won't be disappointed.

I hope you find what you are looking for with your order. I know Seedsman has did good by me.
Oh definitely. TNSB has an alright section of notable breeders, which is why I had some Sweet Seeds and Fast Buds on the orders. Seedsmans breeder selection is huge, and much lower prices as well. With that amount to choose from, it became very difficult to narrow the choices down, but I'm very impressed with my choices so far. Same for Dr. Seeds, only one seed had an issue, but that was on my doing, oops. Next one to replace it was excellent, just finishing up now.

One of the other strains from Oasis I have, had produced one out of four that had hermied. With me knowing I had caused severe stress on it, and others, I think it very well could have been me, so I'm not worried about it, but have noted to keep an eye out just in case.

I know the Auto flower strains are pretty good nowadays. Still if you can. Switch to photo genetics. The feminized seeds out there are amazing. The fact you don't have to worry about males will save you some time. The quality of your weed will change a lot. Nothing against Sweet Seeds. They are one of the better auto breeders out there. Those seeds will not compare to something from DNA and a few others. Those genetics will be on the high side price wise. Lots of companies have seeds in the same price range as autos or not much more. To tell the truth 10$ per seed is the least I would pay for genetics. That is not being a snob. That is what quality genetics cost.

You are probably have a perpetual grow going with auto's. That is hard to do with photo strains if you don't have a place to veg them. Changing everything around will take some planning but I don't think you will be disappointed. With 600 bucks of new genetics it will be a while before you can change LOL. Think about it.

Oh I definitely have lots of photos, but I'm only using one tent for those. The other tent in the basement is being used for autos, and the small tent in my bedroom is for personal tinkering.

While I have plenty of Seeds, I've already been looking at Seedsman to start my third order lol, much smaller this time though. There were some other strains and breeders I wanted to try.
If I knew my skills were good enough, then I may consider just buying premium strains. For now, I go with a good deal on something that interests me. Until I am certain I won't just be throwing away money. So far, I'm not there, need to pay more attention to the plants, the way I started. After a few grows, the laziness took hold, and it's been hard to shake off.

I love the benefits of photos, they just take longer to grow, for me at least. I'm tempted to do one more run of autos in the one tent, then trying my hand at perpetual photos.

I've already got my seeds ready for this coming summer, getting a good jump on those, hoping for major beasts come harvest.

Cool thing that you are doing both. You could tell me if I was right or wrong. Not sure if I want to hear the answer LMAO.

Trust me. You plant a couple high dollar seeds your going to pay attention to them LMAO. Maybe that is the kick start you need. One miss conception about high dollar seeds is that they are hard to grow. Most are as easy or easier than anything out there. Yes there are a few that would need some experience. If you have grown a couple crops to finish. You are ready to upgrade. You can grow better than you think.

If I could suggest one strain that might be a step up. Is 707 Headband by Humboldt. It grows easy and has great felt effects. I have grown it for years and never have problems. It might be good step up if you are not to there yet.

Cool thing that you are doing both. You could tell me if I was right or wrong. Not sure if I want to hear the answer LMAO.

Trust me. You plant a couple high dollar seeds your going to pay attention to them LMAO. Maybe that is the kick start you need. One miss conception about high dollar seeds is that they are hard to grow. Most are as easy or easier than anything out there. Yes there are a few that would need some experience. If you have grown a couple crops to finish. You are ready to upgrade. You can grow better than you think.

If I could suggest one strain that might be a step up. Is 707 Headband by Humboldt. It grows easy and has great felt effects. I have grown it for years and never have problems. It might be good step up if you are not to there yet.
I've definitely smoke some 707 before, was decent.

What do you mean tell you if you were right or wrong? I'm lost on that part.

I've been wanting to try Humbolt, mostly because of their reputation, but also a little just to have their packaging.

Of my previous orders, I have a good mix between indica dom, sativa dom, and hybrids. I'm starting to wish I just bought one large tent, so I could grow more than 2 photos at a time. I want to try them all, before I start to experiment heavily with them. Decide which ones to keep playing with. I've also got a few regular Seeds from seedsman and Canuck, so I will also try breeding sometime. I've had success with autos, but that was just for s****s and giggles while I was bored.

I have so much I want to do, and very little time and space.

I know the feeling. Hope you don't think it gets easier. It don't. You will never have enough space or time LMAO.

I was talking about my comment on the fact that Photo genetics is going to give you better quality of weed than Auto's. Everything I know about genetics is what gives me this opinion. That doesn't mean it is right.

Are your Photos better than the Autos?

I know the feeling. Hope you don't think it gets easier. It don't. You will never have enough space or time LMAO.

I was talking about my comment on the fact that Photo genetics is going to give you better quality of weed than Auto's. Everything I know about genetics is what gives me this opinion. That doesn't mean it is right.

Are your Photos better than the Autos?
To soon to tell, the photos are 8 weeks of veg, still at least 2 or 3 more to go before I will switch the light schedule. I just did training today, I know I know, very late to start, but I kept putting off the uppotting for so long, and did that on monday. That being said, stressing them out with lack of water has them quite tall, with almost no side branching. Hoping the LST corrects that in 3 weeks. I'll post a picture before and after LST, so you can see what I mean.

20200110_090748.jpg
20200123_075127.jpg
20200123_075742.jpg
20200123_075720.jpg
20200123_075729.jpg

The other ones are autos, coming up on 10 weeks for those, so almost finished.

Those autos are by far the biggest I've grown, and I give that credit to the better lights. Went from cheap Phlizon led, to CMH.

You could also try and super crop the plant you bent. Just a little pinch will help send more energy to the lower branches and still keep your main cola. Booster seats are also good for shorter plants. If they are not already in the top of the canopy. I put what ever I need to to help them get there. That may have been why it grew straight up more than bushing out. The bend you put in it will do wonders in just a few days.

I bend everything

This is a top view and a side view of what I do to every plant. It builds a great canopy and you get lots of buds up in the light where they can grow huge.

Back
Top Bottom