Beginners Guide to Hydroponics

I'm wanting to do areophonics I know that i can build my own .BUT the Rainforest66 is cocotek lined Whats the differents in that and just plastic totes? What is the purpose of the cocotek liner?

I'm wanting to do areophonics I know that i can build my own .BUT the Rainforest66 is cocotek lined Whats the differents in that and just plastic totes? What is the purpose of the cocotek liner?

Hey nana...
Basically it is an addition to help protect the root system. Both aero and hydro can be challenging...to say the least it requires constant supervision and maintenance. The other side of the coin is soil grows...much more forgiving, If you have a J.O.B. go soil!

CocoTek Grow Mats are designed to lie underneath Baskets or Planters and can be easily cut to fit any size. Not only will roots grow under the Mats where moisture remains between flood cycles, but the Mats will also protect these roots from drying out. "[U
]Moisture remains between FLOOD CYCLES"[/U]

Thanks man! you know more than the guys at NEW EARTH they couldn't tell me why it was lined with cocotek. I'm sick of soil but at the time I've gotta stay with it. Thanks again

Yo Bra' soil is MY "FREIND" i went with hydro, aero, and even a FOG thingy...what a PAIN.. Listen soil you can go away for a WEEK come back and feed her! No one has to "babysit" the bitch! Soil is totally controllable.
Hydro so MANY things can go haywire...water temps, nutes!...Gotta be like the "Mad Scientist" guy measuring TDS meters...PH is HUGE factor! I just yanked ALL my Hydro and trans-P'd to soil! I am a happy camper...yes soil is dirty, ...Just rip out your carpeting...LoL and go on!

It's all personal head smoke...gonna have a stesdy suplly for all of 2011 this is just one in flwr stage others are arisin'

EC stands for Electrical Conductivity.I although have not figured it out, I do know there are meters that can measure it, I'm n ot sure how it actually works in regards to a plants heat. I'll "Google" it tonight let you know if you find out the skinny PM me.
Happy Growing Bra'

How did you make out Bra'?
did you get 'er figured? :):Namaste:

Hi! :) im a noob, and i was wondering what type of hydro system do you use or perfer? Also was wondering if i can get any tips for a gravity hydro system? really good beginners guide, i could easly understand it loud and clear.

Hey Guy,
Well if you're a NOOB Hydro is NOT the way to start...! Get used to how and the Why's of growing Hydro can cost mega bucks...that being said germ afew and throw down some soil and see as it goes! Hyrdro requires lots of attendance until you have a "formula" for success! I started with DIRT then tried HYDRO only to fail because I was unable to monitor the growing environment due to going back to work. There is so much to deal with Air temps, Water temps, PH issues and so on.... do your self a favor and try with 'bag beans' then graduate up level by level. Start to understand what "it takes" to grow 'quality MJ first. I tried the Hydro invested TONS of mula only to fail....I am back to soil...Water and or feed ONCE a week and let 'er grow...HY-DRO must be maintained and MONITORED on a moment to moment basis. PPM levels Nutes and so on ..unless you are a 'seasoned' vet...good luck...PM me for more details! Happy farming!

Hi! :) im a noob, and i was wondering what type of hydro system do you use or perfer? Also was wondering if i can get any tips for a gravity hydro system? really good beginners guide, i could easly understand it loud and clear.

First time growers can do hydro. :thumb:
The best thing to do is go on here and read through several journals of people doing hydro. Get tips, and start drawing out what you want. Then read more on here. Also, start saving money, growing cost (soil or hydro). but it is worth it.

Good luck and keep the faith,

Prairie

Cool @
I am so putting that verse on my Car window

Well, having just built a rail system based on the "DIY 39 Pepper Aeroponic " rail system, I admit ,I just shagged JKsax914's system from watching & research for 2 months.
BIG BUT: It IS TRICKY! & TRICKIER yet !
I wanted NO DIRT hauling in & out. So, Gallons of Nutes it is.
My setup is tighter (IMO) as the resviors & pumps & mainfold are all out side the rooms.
I am willing to do the MAD Scientist stuff.
most ppl should not, its been 5 weeks in VEG & All is not right in Kansas. Major nute burn from following the Manufactors guides. think 1/8 th of recomended strength for VEG. sweating bullets on how to proceed on BLOOM NUTES.
down to 11 out of 26 from seed. just waitin for enough health & some branches { where are the Branches :-( } to clone & get into the Bloom room.
it is an interesting excerise. & since my daughter is off to College , I can revive an old skill set & left over equipment from " 87.
again the BUT, its a razors edge UR walking . I am getting there so slow!!! I am beginging to NOT believe all the PIC's I see, :-(
I hope to "get it" real soon.
Ah well , sorry for the rant. its been a intense 4 months to launch & $4k spent setting up.
Still Learning, LUCK to all who R trying.
Slag

Well, all went into the bloom room last nite! an even dozen.
3 rails of 6 3.75" cups 14" apart. wish i had gone 16" spacing . but had planned for 18,according to my space. so thats life! :)
BEWARE!!!! the Phresh carbon filter appears to load my 6" vortex down & draw some extra amps!!
blew breaker 1 side of the 220vac & shut down the track motor & fans. the 1kw lamp was parked to 1 side. it was the 1st time I had the filter inline. whoops!! :-( (must test all "next time" )
and C R A P ! 1 of my best Gurls was wilted from the HEAT big time. I shaded her & moved to end of the rail end & misted to up humidity.
Fingers Crossed! but ,even so ...am excited,.... 6-8 weeks & counting. I just hope the ionic bloom does its magic. set it at 550 ppm in RO water. no idea just where it must be. trying in the midrange from all I have read! Wish Me LUCK..
Slag

Thinking of using pebble rocks as a "medium", what do you think? How would they add any nutrients, during the germination stage or during the entire process.

pebble rocks might look similar to hydroton, but I am not sure if they breath as well. Hydroton has many little holes in it that fill up with nutrient water. They dry out quickly, but they allow some holding of wetness and nuts. They also allow lots of air. I'm sure some types of pebbles would work, though.

GET the hydroton clay pellets!
they are proven to work, are cheap in comparison to the desired end results.
you add the nutes!
the pebbles are inert. be sure to flush new pellets well to wash out the dust in the bag. final wash of ph'ed H2o.
I start in any avaible medium, when roots pop out teh sides / bottom. I wash off all the dirt to bare roots & place them in the Hygroton pellets. pre-wet, ph'ed & lihgtly nuted of course!
Slag

Oh,
I may as well add a 8 mth follow up!
had a Summer heat wave that raised HAVOC with my room. lost my best/only Indica. :-( set me back 3 mths.
Into 2nd crop these days ! All is VERY WELL! :) Lbs & lbs of happiness!!! nighly recomend Nirvinas Chrystal seeds. no reconizable Skunk smell. spicy fruit is the best description.
have got it tweaked & tuned . in Hydro you do need to "get on it", 2x a day. I do Am & Pm for ph adjusts. weekly plain H2o flush & fresh nutes.
it is worth the cost!! just do it!

JUST A NOTE: if you are growing Sativas....its during Bloom & your ph starts running down & down. you MUST reduce the ppm (below 500ppm) of your nutes. then you will see it stabilise. just keep adding RO'ed h2o water, when you have added 1/2 the res. volume, check ppm, now wait to see if it gets stable. thst is the new bloom nute level!
Merry Xmas.
Luck All,
Slag

I got an oudoor hydroponic for beginners manual on facebook under the title of outdoorhydroponic. I followed all the steps from building the hydroponic, germinating seeds and getting the final product. Growing organic plants in my backyard connects me to Mother Nature and give me excellent results. Hope this information can help you guys as well.

Good luck!
Slag

my seeds are germinating now for a hydroponic system . my newbie questions are after the few days of germinating in the closet do i go straight from the closet and put them into the pebbles in the hydro setup or do they need another process? also do i instantly add nutrients to the water or do i wait a certain amount of time before adding nutriants...thanks for the answers in advance

Back
Top Bottom