BioStubs-1st Grow-Soil-OC+ Diamond Girl CFL's 7-4-2011

BioStub

BioStubs-1st Grow-Soil-OC+ Diamond Girl CFL's 7-4-2011

What strain is it? Diamond Girl = Skunk x NL x Haze x Early

pearl, a.k.a. Silver Pearl. From Green House Seed Bank.
Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? What percentages? 60% Indica, 40%

Sativa
Is it in Veg or Flower stage? Veg..
If in Veg... For how long? 26 days.
If in Flower stage... For how long? n/a
Indoor or outdoor? Indoor
Soil or Hydro? Soil
If soil... what is in your mix? FFOF 1/2 SS mix#4 1/4 Perlite 1/4
If soil... What size pot? 2 Gal self-watering pot
Size of light? 12 Cfls 24 to 27 watt varied spectrum
Is it aircooled? Cab is Air-cooled
Temp of Room/cab? 75-82 daytime 66-72 night time.
RH of Room/cab? 55 rh
PH of media or res? 6.5 run off.
Any Pests ? not yet.
How often are you watering? As needed
Type and strength of ferts used? OC+ Base Others as needed.

From the seed website.
EFFECTS A fast-hitting indica, with a very relaxing attitude.
Mild, long-lastin FLOWERING INDOOR 8 weeks, with production up to
750 gr/m2. Ideal for SoG, SCRoG or LST. DIAMOND GIRL ® FLOWERING
OUTDOOR Ready at the end of September (North hemisphere) with a
production up to 900 gr/plant. Medium-size, branchy plant.
Previously known as Silver Pearl, this is a classic from the
Green House Coffeeshop menu, now available in seed form. It
flowers in 8 weeks, and can produce indoors up to 750 grams per
square meter (under 1000 Watt of light per square meter).
Outdoors it is ready by the end of September, with a production
up to 900 grams per plant (with very large plants). It's a fast-
hitting indica, with a relaxing effect and a sweet, flowery
taste. The effect is mild, but very long-lasting. It is a good
plant for beginners.

This is my first ever grow.

First I would like to thank all the contributors and great
growers for the wealth of knowledge here at 420. To all person's
just starting out, Read Read Read.. I have found that, for any
question I have, the answer can be found. Paticularly in grow
journals.

About my set up.

Well I started with a shipping box and converted it into a grow
box. Shortly after first testing I found the my draw fan and
passive intake holes where not enough to keep temps down during
hot days. My cab is 22" deep x 28" wide x 42" high. I am
currently growing in the closet of my small one bedroom apt. But
will be moving to a larger place just before the girls go into
flowering.

Finished Cab.
DSCF8109.JPG

Link to my cab construction.
Grow Cab Almost Complete. Advice. Lights, Pot Size Ect..

When the heat dome came over the midwest I decided I needed to
do something about the temps and installed a small 5200 btu A/C
in my window and by use of a 50 cfm bathroom vent and 3" flexible
vent tube directed air into the grow box. Pics to come. I closed
off the passive air intakes at the same time. Current temps mimic
outside conditions during cooler weather and can climb to as high
as 82 during the hottest time of the day. The Girls really seem
to appreciate the lower 66 degree night time lights off times.

Here are pics of the A/C configuration.
ACintake.jpg

VentFanConfig.jpg

ForcedAirVent.jpg

OK, well thats the set-up for now. Pictures of transplant and topping and current photos coming up soon after this post.

Bio

Journal update 2.

Seeds soaked for 12 hours in ph neutral water and then planted directly into a 1/3 equal mix of FFOF, SunShine mix #4 and Perlite in a 18 oz solo cup.

Seeds popped on 6-4-11 and showed first true leaves on 6-5-11.

10 days in solo cups and transplanted them into 2 gallon self watering pots.

ESDSCF8165.jpg

ESDSCF8170.jpg

Everything went fine with the transplant. They didn't even hardly notice they were moved.

Random Shots of my hopeful ladies. This is like a week after transplant and then maybe 3 or 4 days later

Scarlett
SDSCF8183.jpg

SDSCF8189.jpg

Elisha
EDSCF8185.jpg

EDSCF8190.jpg

Next post will show them being topped.

Bio..

Random Pictures.

OK well I know everyone loves pictures, So I figured I would post a few more random pics before showing the before and after topping pictures.

Of the 2 plants. Scarlett was a late bloomer when it came to popping out of the soil and lagged behind Elisha for some time. Then she took off and got taller.

I was surprised that being the same genetics they sure have different characteristics. Elisha is a more sprawling and Scarlett is compact. Currently Scarlett is 1 inch taller. Elisha seems to be sensitive to changes while Scarlett takes everything in stride.

DSCF8196.JPG

DSCF8197.JPG

DSCF82071.JPG

DSCF8208.JPG

DSCF8212.JPG

Topping. Journal Update 3

While I was researching growing and all that it encompasses I stumbled across a post on a different site. It had a post by the famous Uncle Ben about topping. I wanted to top to have 4 colas, But I was scared to do it. When I looked at the nodes and how close together they were, I was like damn, thats going to take most of the plant.

Well I did it anyway but I realized I still topped in the wrong place for 4 colas and am going to end up with 6. I went one node to high. Oh well the plants are healthy and doing well. I was super surprised at the new growth that came out within like 18 hours.

Here's Elisha being topped.

Before topping.
DSCF8216.JPG

Being topped.
DSCF8218.JPG

After Top
DSCF8219.JPG

Here's Scarlett Being topped.

Before During And After.
DSCF8220.JPG

DSCF8222.JPG

DSCF8224.JPG

They handled the topping very well and healed quickly. Next update will have current photos and show a problem Elisha might be having with some spots of rust on a few leaves. I think its a calmg problem. Hopefully someone can second that notion. Coming right up. Then this journal will be up to date.

Bio..

Journal Update Current.. 8-2-11

OK.. This should be my last post tonight. whew.. lots of uploads and waiting and all that cool stuff. This should bring my journal up to date and from here on out it will be current.

ok, more pictures.. :)

First, amazingly here they are just 18 hours after being topped, the second photo shows new growth at just 18 hours.

18hoursaftertop.jpg

New Growth in just 18 hours.
NewGrowth1.jpg

Current photos..

Scarlett Side Shot
8_2_11_scarlett_side.jpg

Scarlett Top Shot
8_2_11_Scarlett_top.jpg

Elisha Side Shot
8_2_11_Elisha_side.jpg

Elisha Top Shot
8_2_11_Elisha_top.jpg

OK that's my speel.. I feel pretty good about the way this my first grow is going. The plants appear to be very healthy except one little problem.

From reading DocBuds journals I am using the Osmocote plus. Doc says that the only real problem he had was a lack of calmg. I hope thats what this is. I went out and bought some today and gave a 1/2 serving.

Any ideas what this is.
First_problem.jpg

Well I hope I get a few followers. Either way it's fun to document my first grow. I love taking pics. So you can expect more to come.

Peace BioStub.

cool setup im in gl....:popcorn:

Welcome aboard Pilot.. :) Pun intended. Gonna snap a few photos tonight and post them.

Right now I figure I have 23 inches of space the plants can grow. I plan on doing a Scrog screen. So i'm deciding how long to veg the girls. I know I'm gonna have to veg them longer then the recommendation of 6 weeks.
For one I hear the OC+ causes the plants to take longer to flower and also because I did such a drastic topping.

I was curious if anyone could recommend additional nutes to increase yield.

Bio..

looks nice good luck man

Picture Update Day 27 Veg

Picture Update Day 27 Veg.. They look good but Elisha is still having the little rust spots on her leaves, I found another leave with them on it today. Can't really see it in these pictures.

Oh and I made a special picture messing around with Photoshop. I call it PotArt. :)

8_4_11_update.jpg

8_4_11_update2.jpg

8_4_11_update3.jpg

8_4_11_update4.jpg

8_4_11_update5.jpg

Now the special one.. Could use it as a wallpaper I think.
Potart002.jpg

Cheers all.. Bio

advanced nutrients will increase your yield... i feel in my opinion they do anyway. and for 2 plants you want need a whole hell of a lot, 1ls aught a do ya. and teas will help too if your goin organic.

they look great loving it in the vault(sick name btw). your are just a few days older then my maui waui ill be topping her soon as well! goodluck bro im in for this one

advanced nutrients will increase your yield... i feel in my opinion they do anyway. and for 2 plants you want need a whole hell of a lot, 1ls aught a do ya. and teas will help too if your goin organic.

Do they make like an all in one flavor or do I need to buy separate bottles? I will be adding a DIY CO2 set up so that should help a bit.

they look great loving it in the vault(sick name btw). your are just a few days older then my maui waui ill be topping her soon as well! goodluck bro im in for this one

Thanks for following along SSD, LOL thats also Solid State Drive. :) Dude i'm way old school. I saw the MW on the seed banks and so wanted to get some. But my cab isn't really big enough. You got a journal on that grow? I'd love to see them.

I named her the Vault cause thats kinda what it is :) I can seal it tight as a drum if I want. But I leave a slight gap at the bottom for extra air draw.

Sour.. How do you plan on topping your MW, For how many colas?

Laters... Bio.

PS: Oh and if anyone has CS3 or higher photoshop and want to know what filters I used on the PotArt I'm happy to share.

Journal Update Day 30 Veg, Light LST

Day 28.. Flood Watering, 1 ml Superthrive, 1 ml H2O2, 1/2 strength Calmg per 2 gals water.

I also drilled some holes in the sides of Scarlett's pot and Lst'd her main cola branches. Since I messed up the Topping and will have 6 main colas instead 4. I pulled her 4 main branches over and down a bit allowing the 2 lower mains to get some light. If you look at Scarlett's top shot you can just see the 2 smaller main cola branches from way underneath poking around now.

The other reason I lst'd Scarlett is because she was an inch and half taller then her sister. I want to get and keep them at the same height before I make and install the scrog screen. It's looking like they are going to fill the box nicely.

Questions.
Scarlett's lower branches where the potential colas are gonna come have really done well. For some reason Elisha's Lower branches are small (see last picture) I'm wondering Should I lst her upper branches over to give the little ones light or let just the 4 mains grow and let the lowers stay small?

Also. These plants are very compact with tight nodes. The upper leaves block a lot light. Can I trim some of the lower leaves with 3 or 5 leaves. In other gardening i've done these would be called sucker branches.

My ladies seem to be very short for how old they are, I've heard that the OC+ may slow growth a bit. I'm wondering, I am also running 8 6500 26 watt cfls and 2 2700 cfl. Could the lack of 2700 be keeping them short. I am also just keeping the lights like 2 inches above the plants at all times. I need a bit more height before scroging. I have probably 3 more weeks of veg. Should I raise the lights a bit?

Need to some research. I'm thinking of setting up a drip water system for when I install the Scrog screen. Can someone suggest a good timer that can time out at like 5 on 10 off.

They are currently 6 inches tall.

OK. now the pics.

SE_Level_canopy_8_6_11.jpg
Scarlett_side_8_6_11.jpg
Scarlett_top_8_6_11.jpg
Elisha_side_8_6_11.jpg
Elisha_top_8_6_11.jpg
Lower_main_Elisha.jpg

lmao, this is gonna be a fun grow for sure, bio i noticed you doing the oc+ route and keeping things simple wich i like. also pick up some snow storm ultra for flowering if you can its cheap and works very well. anyway gl bio..........:cheer:

lmao, this is gonna be a fun grow for sure, bio i noticed you doing the oc+ route and keeping things simple wich i like. also pick up some snow storm ultra for flowering if you can its cheap and works very well. anyway gl bio..........:cheer:

Snow Storm Ultra. Bio makes a mental note to pick some up when he next goes to the hydro shop. That is if I can remember anything after the hot brunette flashes her pretty brown eyes at me. :)

Simple yes. It wasn't a hard decision. I figure the more simple the better. :)

OK.. so my carbon filter was only removing like 80 percent of the smell. So I had to build an ona bucket. Ahh yes another project :)

Remembering that I am in a one bedroom apt in a complex with bad air ventilation. Well nothing is getting by me. Well the project went fine and now I can't smell anything but the ona.

Now. my closet where (The Vault) is happens to be 5 feet wide by 6 feet deep and theres not alot of room in there. I wanted to take picture of my conclumeration but there isn't enough space.

So I took a bunch of photos and pieced them together in photoshop LOL.
Yes yes. here it is for your viewing pleasure.

The Stream Punk Vault Of Growing Pleasure.

Cab_cobbler.jpg

Back
Top Bottom