Brittle dead leaves

joebechill

the top of my plants look okay but why are my leaves dying . cfl lights. 2.6 gallon pots early flower. very dry . crumbles in my hand like a dead leaf but still green.

Attachments

• DFD66335-7ACD-4081-956E-06AF8EC612A9.jpeg
    DFD66335-7ACD-4081-956E-06AF8EC612A9.jpeg
    403.4 KB · Views: 37
4 shitty 20w lights about a foot or so away from the top of the plants. i am a first time grower. 75f and 40% humidity. the plants are a little taller than i would have trained them to be with what i know now. i like the lights and i know walmart sells 100w lightbulbs in 4 packs . would that be way better than what i have now? i just got some random bulbs for when the plants were sprouting and used them the whole time.

Attachments

• 94C41E45-44BE-488B-AC42-CD790D2FD8C6.jpeg
    94C41E45-44BE-488B-AC42-CD790D2FD8C6.jpeg
    593.4 KB · Views: 65
the top of my plants look okay but why are my leaves dying . cfl lights. 2.6 gallon pots early flower. very dry . crumbles in my hand like a dead leaf but still green.

Do you have a fan blowing right on the lower part where the leaves are affected?

I was getting weird issues like this. Turns out my fan was windburning them!

4 shitty 20w lights about a foot or so away from the top of the plants. i am a first time grower. 75f and 40% humidity. the plants are a little taller than i would have trained them to be with what i know now. i like the lights and i know walmart sells 100w lightbulbs in 4 packs . would that be way better than what i have now? i just got some random bulbs for when the plants were sprouting and used them the whole time.

The lighting you have sure looks inadequate to me. They are super lanky and stretched looking!

hmm i think it is windburn honestly. it’s blowing at the wall but then going directly to those leaves bouncing off the wall. that could totally be it. i turned my fan from 2 to 1 also . and do lights affect the thickness? do lights affect shorter lengths between nodes? i have 4 light bulbs that as you see lay sideways. are there any bulbs you prefer ? i want to invest in a light since ive invested in everything else . i just don’t know which one. i have a 2x4x5 feet tent

one last thing. i know i’m going everywhere with this thread but the dude at my local hydro store said “pros get about a gram a watt, hobbyist get about .5 a gram per watt” and then he said “if you grow with an led light then the temps need to be above 80f to get the full effects of led. compared to hps” but idk i would only invest in led for convenience and energy.

hmm i think it is windburn honestly. it’s blowing at the wall but then going directly to those leaves bouncing off the wall. that could totally be it. i turned my fan from 2 to 1 also . and do lights affect the thickness? do lights affect shorter lengths between nodes? i have 4 light bulbs that as you see lay sideways. are there any bulbs you prefer ? i want to invest in a light since ive invested in everything else . i just don’t know which one. i have a 2x4x5 feet tent

Lights will definitely affect plant height and node spacing. I’m growing sativa that’s known to be a taller strain. And my plants are at day 56 and only 18 inches tall. They are currently stretching for flower. So they will get taller.

Hmmm, are they flapping really hard? Diffused fan air shouldn’t be too bad on it.

they were flapping hard and they still have some flap to them going from 2 to 1 on my fan. do you think it could be another issue? i rarely water due to the pot and soil (miracle grow organic) hold a lot of water. i have since bought ocean forest soil but i haven’t used any of it yet

one last thing. i know i’m going everywhere with this thread but the dude at my local hydro store said “pros get about a gram a watt, hobbyist get about .5 a gram per watt” and then he said “if you grow with an led light then the temps need to be above 80f to get the full effects of led. compared to hps” but idk i would only invest in led for convenience and energy.

I don’t know what he is taking about. Not sure how increased temps would help LED. I’m no expert though. One thing I know for sure. There’s a lot of misinformation about leds.

I’m using 4 300w mars eco lights, and they are doing amazing so far.

Attachments

• 22A30FB2-5158-47D5-8FEA-526D00BB3B98.jpeg
    22A30FB2-5158-47D5-8FEA-526D00BB3B98.jpeg
    770.4 KB · Views: 48
Lights will definitely affect plant height and node spacing. I’m growing sativa that’s known to be a taller strain. And my plants are at day 56 and only 18 inches tall. They are currently stretching for flower. So they will get taller.
that’s awesome to know thank you. what lights are you running if you don’t mind me asking. i think my stretchiest plant is sativa . and the other two seem like a hybrid. from what i have seen online that’s my guess

I don’t know what he is taking about. Not sure how increased temps would help LED. I’m no expert though. One thing I know for sure. There’s a lot of misinformation about leds.

I’m using 4 300w mars eco lights, and they are doing amazing so far.

those look noicee. he said which i should have type out.. that led lights need higher temps to give the buds the desired thc , etc potency. like they can have the same yields and growth but somehow led lights react best to the plants with higher temps. it was the first i have heard it. he’s a 15 year grower. seems pretty old school. loves the sodium lights .

that’s awesome to know thank you. what lights are you running if you don’t mind me asking. i think my stretchiest plant is sativa . and the other two seem like a hybrid. from what i have seen online that’s my guess

I’m running Mars eco 300w. There like under a hundred. And I love em!

those look noicee. he said which i should have type out.. that led lights need higher temps to give the buds the desired thc , etc potency. like they can have the same yields and growth but somehow led lights react best to the plants with higher temps. it was the first i have heard it. he’s a 15 year grower. seems pretty old school. loves the sodium lights .

That’s where I get my misinfo from. Guys who are Old school who think they are like LED from a decade ago.

As far as I know, ensuring that you have proper spectrum is what’s important for your lights. And that PAR rating is good enough to produce growth and flowering. A good LED will have nice blue and red spectrum, and not much green. The light manufacture will post their stats usually.

The Mars light I am using is full spectrum aside from UV. But from what I gather, adding UV may just marginally increase potency. So I may end up adding it, but at this point I have no plans!

That’s where I get my misinfo from. Guys who are Old school who think they are like LED from a decade ago.

As far as I know, ensuring that you have proper spectrum is what’s important for your lights. And that PAR rating is good enough to produce growth and flowering. A good LED will have nice blue and red spectrum, and not much green. The light manufacture will post their stats usually.

The Mars light I am using is full spectrum aside from UV. But from what I gather, adding UV may just marginally increase potency. So I may end up adding it, but at this point I have no plans!

hell yeah man ! i’m sure he could be misinformed on how new grow light led’s work . but that’s given me extra confidence in what i should be looking for. i think i am going to get 3 mars hydro 300 watts .. one for each plant. and i have heard UV lights help out! it’s crazy how many lights are out there. thank you so much dude !! ( i didn’t think this thred was going to lead me into buying 3 new grow lights but i’m stoked)

Back
Top Bottom