Bubbas Gift - Veg leaves curling up a touch?

Justpassing

Hi guys and gals,

I have a few Bubbas Gift girls in the veg stage.. They are about 18" away from a Mh 400W light. I did have a fan blowing towards them, not terribly strong but enough to move the heat. The edges of the leaves look slightly curled upwards... Don't understand why. At their distance from the light, its not too hot. Could it be the fan blowing on them too much? Never had this issue before, are they maybe too young to be under a light like this?

Not hugely alarmed by it but just wanted to get some feedback because I've never seen this before. I have since moved them further away from the light and turned the fan out of the way a bit. They have been given only water, no nutes at all yet.

Thanks !!

image8764.jpeg
IMG_109134.JPG

Soil PH is irrelevant, test water feed when you feed.

Cheers

Attached is the ph level of my soil. I don't have a probe tester, so I used the test strips I use for my spa. Put soil in a container with water, mixed it thoroughly and put it through a coffee filter and tested after about an hour. Looks like the ph is around the 5 or so mark?

I'm guessing this is a bad thing...

Thanks so much for the replies and guidance

IMG_109634.JPG

Well, the tap you used changed your soil reading. Which is why it is irrelevant. I've been there before. Get a blue lab PH tester $100. If you can spend money on lighting, extraction fan, nutes why not tester. $$$LED will fail due to not testing PH. My $10 amazon PH tester died in under 40 days. Buy strip's for back up. Hydro at 6, soil at 6.5, per FF feeding schedule. I feed at 5.7 water at 6. My tap is close to 8 so when I add nutes it drop's to just under 6. But to water with my tap on young plants does what you see on yours. Just correct it going forward and you will be fine.

Cheers

i use a hanna ph tester. they run 35. on amazon, and, in 8 years, i am on my third one. for the price, they seem to be the right choise. when switching from veg to flower, i reccomend a good fllush. i dont even ph, on the flush., for the amount of water i need, i just have a hose, with an areator wand. my tap is 7.1 ph. my soilless, evens it out, no prob. and, its just two fllushes, a lifetime. i think getting rid of the mineral salts, at this time, is helpfull, and prevents build up, and lockout. they seem to love it, as well. it will take a week or so, for them to use all the water, being so water logged, lol, but i have never had a prob. on the next first feeding of bloom, i include one or two tsp, per gallon of solution, of epsom salts, to make sure they have plenty of mg, so they can get right to work, taking up nutes. along with 6.5 ph.

i use a hanna ph tester. they run 35. on amazon, and, in 8 years, i am on my third one. for the price, they seem to be the right choise. when switching from veg to flower, i reccomend a good fllush. i dont even ph, on the flush., for the amount of water i need, i just have a hose, with an areator wand. my tap is 7.1 ph. my soilless, evens it out, no prob. and, its just two fllushes, a lifetime. i think getting rid of the mineral salts, at this time, is helpfull, and prevents build up, and lockout. they seem to love it, as well. it will take a week or so, for them to use all the water, being so water logged, lol, but i have never had a prob. on the next first feeding of bloom, i include one or two tsp, per gallon of solution, of epsom salts, to make sure they have plenty of mg, so they can get right to work, taking up nutes. along with 6.5 ph.

My tap water is about 6.8 as I just tested it. So I should adjust the soil?

You need to test it with nutes, you my water with that ph but when you feed it will drop. I've seen worse wrinkles on my plants so you may be low 5's but your plant is stressed.

Cheers

Well, the tap you used changed your soil reading. Which is why it is irrelevant. I've been there before. Get a blue lab PH tester $100. If you can spend money on lighting, extraction fan, nutes why not tester. $$$LED will fail due to not testing PH. My $10 amazon PH tester died in under 40 days. Buy strip's for back up. Hydro at 6, soil at 6.5, per FF feeding schedule. I feed at 5.7 water at 6. My tap is close to 8 so when I add nutes it drop's to just under 6. But to water with my tap on young plants does what you see on yours. Just correct it going forward and you will be fine.

Cheers

I am using soil not hydro, should I be adjusting the soil with additives ?

Not sure what you are asking, I just listed what FF feeding schedule recommended. I'm in FFOF and I add nutes to my tap and then PH and adjust. For me, I feed closer to hydro in soil, lots of people feed close to 7 too which is why I put that info from FF. Oh, now I understand what you asked. No. PH your feed and keep checking your tap. Mine bounces if it rains or is dry for a while. Never assume your tap. Always check. Moreover, older plants can tolerate PH issues (post light change) better.

Cheers

Not sure if you caught it. I just got off work and just hit it up. No need to add lime or chicken crap. Any good potting soil works out of the bag (not trying to start an argument on soil, yes most people add perlite or other stuff and will never use bag soil)

Example of my pure FFOF soil at day 57 (today)

36741c2cb2eb685f041104f4f8bc9365.jpg

d637b49729829a4d34b78cf5bc2bc653.jpg

a6bc1cd5f9190f83fbc0b7b002489702.jpg

b4253299756b8923f1148e595ad75ec7.jpg

Cheers

Not sure if you caught it. I just got off work and just hit it up. No need to add lime or chicken crap. Any good potting soil works out of the bag (not trying to start an argument on soil, yes most people add perlite or other stuff and will never use bag soil)

Example of my pure FFOF soil at day 57 (today)

36741c2cb2eb685f041104f4f8bc9365.jpg

d637b49729829a4d34b78cf5bc2bc653.jpg

a6bc1cd5f9190f83fbc0b7b002489702.jpg

b4253299756b8923f1148e595ad75ec7.jpg

Cheers

Damn they look great !!

Not sure what you are asking, I just listed what FF feeding schedule recommended. I'm in FFOF and I add nutes to my tap and then PH and adjust. For me, I feed closer to hydro in soil, lots of people feed close to 7 too which is why I put that info from FF. Oh, now I understand what you asked. No. PH your feed and keep checking your tap. Mine bounces if it rains or is dry for a while. Never assume your tap. Always check. Moreover, older plants can tolerate PH issues (post light change) better.

Cheers

Ok so now I have been to the hydro store and spoken with a very experienced individual... I am using a popular veg food, 2 part, at 1/4 strength. My tap water I was using before was 8 ph. Quite high. So I added the nutes at 1/4 strength and adjusted to 6.5 ph. Then I captured the run off from the bottom of one of them, tested that at 4.5 ph after passing through. Can you tell me if this seems correct or should I be adjusting the ph higher before feeding knowing that it will drop to the 4.5 after passing through?

Any help would be fantastic !

Run off is not something that you need to watch. But it sounds like you got control of incoming PH issues. Ha, here in Oregon the city keeps it's tap at 8. If it rains it drop's to 7. When sun is out few days it's back to 8. Then once in a while it's in the mid 6's. Run off has a high salt component and is unhelpful at your level (mine too). Just mix nutes and PH. Check tap, ensure PH to water. This will take your garden up nicely.

Cheers

Run off is not something that you need to watch. But it sounds like you got control of incoming PH issues. Ha, here in Oregon the city keeps it's tap at 8. If it rains it drop's to 7. When sun is out few days it's back to 8. Then once in a while it's in the mid 6's. Run off has a high salt component and is unhelpful at your level (mine too). Just mix nutes and PH. Check tap, ensure PH to water. This will take your garden up nicely.

Cheers

Thank you SO much for the reply ! Im hoping this helps with the leaf curl

This actually brings me to another question that puzzles me a bit..
?
I purchased a digital ph meter today as well so I'm not using test strips. So.. I did read somewhere else that IF your readings taken at the run off are lower, then increase the level of the feeding so that when its measured at the run off its around the 6.5 area.

Mine was about 6.5 at the feeding level and the run off was 4.5 or something. But when I started just using tap water, which is at an 8, wouldn't that bring my run off levels to approximately 6 proportionally?

IF this is in fact the case, could it be that the leaf curling ISN'T related to the PH levels? I don't know if it could be related to NOT giving them any nutes just yet being as small as they are?

Just trying to better understand what could be causing this to happen, they are a good 18+ inches away from the light and don't seem to be hot at all. Just trying to do everything right !

Thanks again.

So when your PH is out of range it will lock out nutes and show issues. Run off is useless information. Do not check run off. Once PH is correct plant will unlock. If you feed while locked out abd when you do correct PH plant will burn because off all nutes now available. Again, feed and water correctly and it will correct it's self.

Cheers

OK so today I have watered them thoroughly with the 1/4 strength nutes and correct PH (6.5-6.8). Attached are photos of their current state, well the one with the worst symptoms. I am hoping to see an improvement soon.
BG111.JPG
BG1-3.JPG
BG1-2.JPG

Back
Top Bottom