Building custom LED light - Help with infrared

MadRicky

Hello guys, I'm building my own LED grow light. During the past few weeks I've been reading about wavelengths and how they affect the plant's grow. Right now here is the configuration that I have:

48 leds (4red:1blue)
36 red: 24-660nm, 12-630nm
12 blue: 7-470nm, 5-440nm

I assume this will be enough to grow an entire cycle. However, I know there are other bands that could be beneficial. UV-B increases THC at the cost of slighty reduced yield.
I don't know much about infrared or far red. Some people say it's useless, some, it should only be turned 45mins every hour and others, 30 mins before lights off. Does it do anything at all?
Would it be worth adding one 730nm? Do you guys think I should throw some orange too?

People always told me white light is bad because it targets bands not being used by the plant, therefore watts are being wasted.
Shouldn't it be better target the specific wavelengths? Check this out
aborcao_clorofifas.jpg

Hello guys, I'm building my own LED grow light. During the past few weeks I've been reading about wavelengths and how they affect the plant's grow. Right now here is the configuration that I have:

48 leds (4red:1blue)
36 red: 24-660nm, 12-630nm
12 blue: 7-470nm, 5-440nm

I assume this will be enough to grow an entire cycle. However, I know there are other bands that could be beneficial. UV-B increases THC at the cost of slighty reduced yield.
I don't know much about infrared or far red. Some people say it's useless, some, it should only be turned 45mins every hour and others, 30 mins before lights off. Does it do anything at all?
Would it be worth adding one 730nm? Do you guys think I should throw some orange too?

Infra red here is almost worthless as most heat expended in the grow room will supply ample IR....look toward some UV, both A+B, to finish those trics later in bud, bewarned tho ...many growers forget the UV, only to screw there eyes, have UV on a separate loop

Cob lighting is fine as long as you throw on some collimators.

That is pretty funny that some random guy told you to throw away the LED design you drew up... typical internet SMH.

Vlad

We are doing a breakdown on a Spider 16 cob led, supposedly the most powerful consumer LED on the market. We will see the amps consumed and let you know how badly cobs are being undervolted.

Vlad

Guys I found some 100W LEDs on Ebay for only 5€. Sounds too good to be true, their brand is Genesis. Anyone has experience with these?

Guys I found some 100W LEDs on Ebay for only 5€. Sounds too good to be true, their brand is Genesis. Anyone has experience with these?

100W draw power?
That's most likely too good to be true.

Or do they mention is equal to a 100W (incandescent) lightbulb in which case the LED is around 13 watts.

Hi guys - I've been thinking of the exact same thing. Taking a large heatsink (polished chunk of heatsink extrusion) mounting an array of LED PCB stars and working out an approximate balance same as yourself.

I was thinking that Cree XBDs (couple of Euros each) should do the trick. Maybe an array of 60 for a 0,36M²/3,76M² would be perfect. Opinions?

I'm about to make a Cree CXB3590 fixture and a Vero 29 on a big heat sink 10"x24" with 8 COB's on each and they kick ass. I've seen them in action

They're the big efficient 5000lm flux CoBs aren't they? I was looking at them but didn't see anything but the simple white temperatures. Not entirely sure if they tick the specific spectra ideal for growing. I was thinking of something along the lines of what Bonsai Hero make:
Ledgrow LED panel 80 w
....but more to satisfy my inner maker by doing it myself.

That and aren't they still stratospherically expensive?

They're the big efficient 5000lm flux CoBs aren't they? I was looking at them but didn't see anything but the simple white temperatures. Not entirely sure if they tick the specific spectra ideal for growing. I was thinking of something along the lines of what Bonsai Hero make:
Ledgrow LED panel 80 w

The white temperatures are fine with the CXB3590 and the vero 29.
CFLs and HPS don't have "special" spectrums either and they work just fine, the Vero and CXB series are extremely efficient much more efficient than the good old HPS.

The CXB3590 is 68 dollar or so, (At kingbrite on the Chinese ebay it's 40-50 dollar, kingbrite is legit seller) and is 50% efficient @0.7A and 50 dissipated watts
The Vero 29 is less than 30 dollars. But is a little less efficient still but 40+% efficient @1.4A and 50 dissipated watts.

I have seen a few CXB/Vero builds that were total costs around 1 dollar per watt, which is cheap.

Certainly seems to add up. The thing is, their infrared band seem very narrow. Plenty up top though. Maybe shoring up that red end would pay off.

Ledgrow LED panel 80 w

Yes they are I've seen them with my own eyes. My buddy made his lights and I didn't believe him until I saw him hit 1 gpw with just the lights no ac and some fans in the room and an open window

Back
Top Bottom