sexycybe

Hey guys, i have posted this on a few other websites but didn't get anywhere near as much help as i thought i would (a bit of attitude too!).

Hey all, first post on this site, usually use another but there is way more info on LED lights here!
Was just after a little bit of advice.
I just ordered my LED lights and was wondering how i should wire these up (look at question 1!).
I bought:
8 x 6500K cool white
8 x 430-440nm
16 x 450-455nm
4 x 620-630nm
16 x 640-650nm
12 x 660nm
4 x 730nm

I know that the lower spectrum (430-455nm) lights are more beneficial during veg growth and the higher spectrum (620-730nm)are more beneficial for flowering.

Question 1. Should i wire it up so during veg growth only the whites and 430-455nm are running and when flowering only the whites and 620-730nm are running? If not what ratios of lights for each should i run (i can use the same LED twice)?

Question 2.Also i have just noticed some of the lights emit different levels of lumen. should the ratio be in lumen?
A ratio of:
1 x 430-440nm
2 x 450-455nm
1 x 620-630nm
4 x 640-650nm
3 x 660nm
1 x 730nm

Seeing as the lumen are as follows the number of lights shall be:
15lm 430-440nm
50lm 450-455nm
80lm 620-630nm
80lm 640-650nm
70lm 660nm
20lm 730nm

21 x 430-440nm
13 x 450-455nm
4 x 620-630nm
16 x 640-650nm
14 x 660nm
16 x 730nm

Question 3. my heat sink is made from aluminium (there are two) 300mm x 140mm x 20mm. Should i get another? Should i glue the LED's straight onto the heat sink or is there another way (please explain or link if there is) to attach them.

Question 4. how many computer fans do you think are needed to cool the heat sinks?

The data for them is here...

6000-6500K
Intensity : 220-240LM
Voltage: 3.2-3.4V
Current : 700mA
Power : 3watt

8 x 430-440nm
Intensity : 15LM
Voltage: 3.2-3.4V

16 x 450-455nm
Intensity : 50LM
Voltage: 3.2-3.4
Current : 700mAV

4 x 620-630nm
Intensity : 80LM
Voltage: 1.9-2.3V

16 x 640-650nm
Intensity : 80LM

12 x 660nm
Intensity : 70LM

4 x 730nm
Intensity : 20LM
Voltage: 2.1-2.3V

Thank you sooo much for any help!
The info will be used to help others later
:thanks:
SxC

I have looked at this post twice.

First problem is a guy named sexy... human nature man, I would just go with Cybe even if you are sexy

Second problem is you need an engineer. This is your big problem. Even if an engineer has reviewed your items, they would not want to answer for many reasons, mostly because they don't want anyone hurt or loss of property due to fire and hell they are engineers and their answers have worth.

I just grow and have no technical expertise. so if I were you, I would seek out a local electrical engineer to help me...

I'll give you a few pointers to push you in the right direction, but what ratios to use is what makes one companies panels different from the next, so you're on your own there.

Question one: You want a more blue spectra in veg but you do want some reds as well. Red light does a few other things than just stretch and flower. It is also key in root production and other aspects of growth. If you are wanting to run the same diodes in both veg and flower, try having 3 (or more drivers) and the diodes that stay on all the time are not effected by the switch you install to change from veg to flower.

Question 2:As buckshot said, this is an engineering design question. Lumen is a measurement of brightness to the human eye. It has nothing to do with the number of photons a plant receives. As you move away from 525nm in either direction (peak wavelength of human sight), the radiant flux staying constant will have a lower lumen value. This doesn't mean that the diode is weaker, just that the human eye perceives it that way.

Question 3: If by glue you mean using a dielectric thermally conductive epoxy to affix them, then yes. You must maintain electrical isolation at all times. How much heat sink and in what shape and size depends on a number of factors and then you would use a calculation of thermal exchange to see what you need. So without having the exact layout and ratio of diodes and the thermal coefficients for those diodes as well as the specs on what current you are driving them at under what conditions and the volume of airflow around them... this question is impossible to answer correctly.

Question 4: See above

I have looked at this post twice.

First problem is a guy named sexy... human nature man, I would just go with Cybe even if you are sexy

I have been using that name for years as all the other cybes were taken on the other mushroom based site where i began. Always get compliments on it...

I'll give you a few pointers to push you in the right direction, but what ratios to use is what makes one companies panels different from the next, so you're on your own there.

Question one: You want a more blue spectra in veg but you do want some reds as well. Red light does a few other things than just stretch and flower. It is also key in root production and other aspects of growth. If you are wanting to run the same diodes in both veg and flower, try having 3 (or more drivers) and the diodes that stay on all the time are not effected by the switch you install to change from veg to flower.

Question 2:As buckshot said, this is an engineering design question. Lumen is a measurement of brightness to the human eye. It has nothing to do with the number of photons a plant receives. As you move away from 525nm in either direction (peak wavelength of human sight), the radiant flux staying constant will have a lower lumen value. This doesn't mean that the diode is weaker, just that the human eye perceives it that way.

Question 3: If by glue you mean using a dielectric thermally conductive epoxy to affix them, then yes. You must maintain electrical isolation at all times. How much heat sink and in what shape and size depends on a number of factors and then you would use a calculation of thermal exchange to see what you need. So without having the exact layout and ratio of diodes and the thermal coefficients for those diodes as well as the specs on what current you are driving them at under what conditions and the volume of airflow around them... this question is impossible to answer correctly.

Question 4: See above

Boomtown, thanks mate that was a great response!
Yes is did mean thermally conductive epoxy, haha was just being a bit slack when typing.

I have been using that name for years as all the other cybes were taken on the other mushroom based site where i began. Always get compliments on it...

Cybe who is sexy,

I am just an old codger, don't mind me. I was hoping Hosebomber would weigh in. You could keep an eye on some of the tests going on in this forum for spectrum ratios of panels being tested.

Back
Top Bottom