Building great organic soil - questions and advice for me

urmom

I have a question about not growing IN soil but growing THE soil.

I have been an outdoor grower in the past and relied on the wonderful old farmers soils of the early 20th century to feed my girls. I lived in an area that had an old sustainable farm (before the term organic became synonymous with cannabis or grocery stores) and just planted straight into the soil and added some Alaska Fish 5-1-1 and budswell (guano) 0-15-0 to my planting site as soon as the frost broke in late February/March, dug it all up real good and let it sit for 2 months before transplanting my 12" girls into the old fields. My brother and I used the same sites for about 5 years with just those simple additions. I give all the credit of our quality medicine to the superior soil we grew in.

I live in the south now and do not have the same access to land I used to.

My question is this, can I use the same methods from my outdoor grows inside and expect the containers to create a similar "live" medium for me? I have my seedlings in 6" pots with organic soil cut with perlite and vermiculite (about 3/1/1 mix) to help with root production and soil composition. I have 4 gal containers with the same soil mix. I watered the soil with 1/2 gal water, waited 2 days then I added 1/2 cup dry budswell to the top 4" and watered it in with 1 gal spiked with 4 tablespoons of the Alaska Fish. I did all this on 13-15 September and I have another 12 days before transplanting to the big pots. I also have my own compost I have started this summer that I plan on making some tea with about 2 weeks into flower (starting 12/12 on 01 October) if needed or recommended.

Any suggestions?

Indoors I pack my soil with layers and spikes of organic matter, then brew ACT's to keep adding micro beasties to process the organic matter. It's all out lined completely in the book I recommended.

Many, if not most, of our members who run indoor grows in soil cultivate live soil in one manner or another. You can easily find info on various soil compositions here on 420Mag or elsewhere online. A popular one, for instance, is "supersoil", as well as TLO as COorganics recommended. I'm using a soil designed for high brix.

I have two suggestions:

1. Look into adding minerals to your soil.

2. Consider larger pots. I run 6 gallon pots and they're a bit small for a good organic root system. 10s would be great.

I think you'll be impressed with the biota you can sustain indoors. Teas are the bee's knee's for indoor - they keep a nice healthy population in the soil.

:thumb:

I would prepare the site just like you used to do.

Any farmyard manure is best dug in before winter.. It allows it too break down into the soil, ready for root uptake in spring. Makes it milder to the roots( all plants n veg really )..

I add old compost from flowerpots and containers at the end of season. This adds humic matter, better soil breakdown and more water holding.. Bone meal would be good aswell. I used it in my pots successfully.

Mushroom compost is good too.

My compost bin is having to restart after moving house recently, i also dig in the rich stuff at the bottom of that.

Pelleted chicken manure is also something i dig in, also surface dress with it.. Good organic food source .

Im sure the old farmers soil would have been treated similar to this.

Ive even dug in shredded tree leaves before, in autumn and let them rot in over winter..

Best of luck in your grow

Back
Top Bottom