Building A Better Soil: Demonstrations & Discussions Of Organic Soil Recipes

Sometimes grass is native. So if that grass on your property is a native, might be cool to watch it do it's thing. I'd find out what kind it is.

Im trying to plant more native and insect friendly, especially milkweed.

We live in a special part of Philadelphia.

I have a neighbor that has a grass front lawn complete with a bank and steps. He grows milkweed and it's mixed in with the grass. It seems to come back every year like a perennial. It's pretty funky looking with the grass around it. He trims the grass around the milkweed.

It's up now I'll take a pic tonight walking the dogs.

The guy that grows it is a old timer. I'm 60 so he's easily 80ish. I don't think he cuts his grass. Someone else does but there's instruction to leave the milkweed. It's pretty cool.

I'll be baked.

We live in a special part of Philadelphia.

I have a neighbor that has a grass front lawn complete with a bank and steps. He grows milkweed and it's mixed in with the grass. It seems to come back every year like a perennial. It's pretty funky looking with the grass around it. He trims the grass around the milkweed.

It's up now I'll take a pic tonight walking the dogs.

The guy that grows it is a old timer. I'm 60 so he's easily 80ish. I don't think he cuts his grass. Someone else does but there's instruction to leave the milkweed. It's pretty cool.

I'll be baked.

Yah mine comes back every year but it's probably a different strain. Some milkweed is getting rare and seeds are quite pricey! What color are they?

I do cut mine back a bit and rinse them to clean any disease off. They're not the prettiest sometimes and they produce seeds like crazy but I grow them for the Monarch. Our .CA species of Monarch is down almost 90% over last 20 years. it should be on the engendered list if it isn't already

I would love to see any pics you get!

Yeah forgot last night we walked a different way.

Good point on the butterflies. Maybe thats what he grows them for. He's a pretty cool old dude. I'll ask him if I see him or his son.

Yeah thats what we want it for.....butterflies....specifically the Monarch. Anything that will keep the pollinators around and coming back!

I have Mexican milkweed, for the south west USA, or generally warmer areas, orange blossoms.

If you're southwest, send me a PM and I'll send you some

I appreciate that Blaze but I am about as opposite of the southwest as you can get......we are up in the NorthEast. Gotta find the stuff native to up here. Thank you though, I do appreciate it!

Whats in Subcools recipe?
Screenshot_20190526-080110.png

Not sure where your Ca or Mg are coming from. I would consider upping the Ca and Mg.....but thats just me. My preferred Ca comes from Oyster Shell flour and Gypsum. Either are great but the Gypsum is a pH neutral amendment where the Oyster Shell Flour can drift pH up (I had hella bad tap water where I used to live and switching to more gypsum than Oyster Shell Flour helped me have a better soil condition....not sure if that matters at all to you. Since then I have switched to rain water and I don't have any soil pH issues)

I'm planning on making a half sized batch. I still need to pick up the roots organic soil. I already use it for seedlings and clones it's good stuff
Roots Organic is a good base. I used it to start all my "stank soil".

Thanks fellas. I do have some oyster shell ill be using. I just posted that recipe because I had it saved on my phone. The recipe I'll be using is almost identical, with oyster shell and mycronize added. Not sure if I spelled it correctly. I found it on another site. This recipe is probably overkill but I like to experiment. It'll be a good way to start off with organics

Back
Top Bottom