Building A Better Soil: Demonstrations & Discussions Of Organic Soil Recipes

Ah ok, yeah I see it there.....wasn't on the other one. You would have had serious issues without that Ca source. Plants would have let you know real early on that something was off.

Good luck! :popcorn:

Can add some Crustacean meal it woodn't hurt. Give you some longer term Ca release and be sure your Oyster Shell is FLOUR not bits and pieces. Like a fine powder.
I highly encourage him to add it....lots of chitin in there too so great for a pest defense boost. I love my crab/shrimp meal and use it in every batch.

Hi everyone I finally got all the stuff and mixed it up. I made a half batch and put it in couple trash cans with lids. They are sitting in the sun composting for a month. I'll be sure to check back in with a review of the results. Hopefully everyone is doing well with their gardens

For future reference....try not to mix it up more than once. Its best to get the micro organisms ramped up and let them do their thing. If you go mixing and disturbing the soil once you have done it mixed up, it really slows down the bio activity in the cooking soil. Cheers buddy!

Last weekend I up potted 2 out of 3 of my 24k clones into 5 gallon buckets. They were in 1 gallon pots and were starting to get root bound. I have the third one in ffof soil to do a little comparison grow. The two in super soil got a little leaf tip burn. Soil is definitely hot. The pots have bottom half in the SS and top half is ffof. I'll be putting them in bloom in next couple of weeks as my tents empties out

Yeah, it's been a year of big changes. Last year I was growing RDWC perpetual. This year I'm basically learning all over again in prep for next year. I must say I enjoy the root zone environmental stability planting in ground affords.

Occasionally I will mutter lyrics as I work, not so much of a singer. Especially since I have an unhealthy connection to Rush and could never sing as high as Geddy Lee, lol. I'm more of a whistle while I work.

Nah, haven't told Cola Monster. I do enjoy his posts, as well as every one elses too...including yours. Seeing everybody do their own thing.... develop their own microcosms. It's interesting to me how many ways a plant can be grown.

Well thank you for the nice words. I tend to be a bit different than most, looking at the world a little different. I learned at a young age how to frame a picture (in the eye piece, not a wall hanging). Then in High School I took a couple years of photo, and that eye developed even more. If I had a 35mm SLR (and all the developing equipment) or a really good DSLR I could pull off some better shots, but my little Nikon Coolpix L840 is doing good enough.

And now, thinking about microcosms, I must go put on one of my favorite Rush songs...Natural Science.

:peace:
I saw Rush in concert once as I really dig them too (How could a drummer not like a band with Neil Pert on drums?) :tommy: Third row center stage. Back in 91 or 92. Great show!

Half way through bloom with no deficiencies so far in the SS mix
IMG_20190924_160224816_BURST000_COVER~2.jpg

Its not hard to build a soil that will get you through a grow. Just don't shy on the Ca and try to keep your Ca:Mg ratios in check. You can really in depth by delving in Cation exchange and what not but its really not necessary, especially if your environment is decent!

Nice looking bud there! Well done Dank!

What Penny said.

High C low Mg, add some rock dust to raise the CEC of the soil.

Microbes start kicking ass and we're off.

Edit:
Adding rock dust mimics the clay content in soil in a field. It's very important in that its how the locked up minerals are stored. Then slightly acidic rain water will slowly release those minerals in the clay.

I think thats how it works, so the rock dust = the broken down minerals from the clay.

I just wanted to come back and give a review of the results of my first organic soil grow. It went really well with absolutely no issues. Only problem is I didn't mix up enough to get me through the winter :laughtwo: I have one more question for those who are experienced, what amendments should I add to reuse the soil. Also can I store it outside in cold weather till needed. Thanks for all the help and advice. It's appreciated :thumb:
IMG_20191012_183712568.jpg

Congrats - glad it worked for ya.

I add these amendments - caveat is soil mixes are different likely.

Plants use up Calcium the most. So adding in some amendments with Ca is good - can do it when the soil is not being used.

Kelp meal - 1/4 cup
EWC - 1/2 cup
handful of compost
and add in some malted barley ground fine with mycos when you start using the soil again.

Thats how I do it.

Lots of bacteria are perfectly fine with cold or even frozen soil. Worms too - they reproduce and die but they leave cocoons behind that will hatch in the spring.
If the soil doesn't freeze the worms will stick around. Some of them can live many years.

I have a question about storing the organic soil mix. Can the soil be stored in freezing temps? Or would that kill off the microbial colonies? I'm storing it in a unheated garage and I'm thinking about bringing it inside the house. Thanks for any advice on storage :) ..... :passitleft:

Back
Top Bottom