California Marijuana Farmers Face Country's First Water-Related Regulations

Jacob Redmond

Regulators in California’s north coast region have passed the country’s first rules governing the water-related impact of marijuana cultivation.

The new regulations will force pot growers to be responsible for any contamination of water or land degradation.

But, despite the 5-1 vote, the North Coast Regional Water Quality Control Board is unlikely to face a smooth roll-out of the new oversight and regulation.

“This is going to be good in the long run, but getting all of us growers, especially the small ones like me, is really going to be hard to do immediately,” Robert Anderson, a small pot farmer near Santa Rosa who barely makes the cutoff for the new regulations of a 2,000-square-foot farm, said on Thursday evening.

He was quick to insist however that the downsides of implementation should not outweigh the need to ensure the environment is protected. “We wouldn’t be good pot growers if we didn’t want to keep the land in good shape.”

The new rules will require pot growers with more than 2,000 square feet of land used for marijuana cultivation to register with the agency, or a third-party non-governmental agency or organization that has been approved by the regulatory body.

A number of issues including erosion control, water and wetlands buffers, irrigation runoff, chemical contamination and waste will be regulated under the new rules.

Each farm will then enroll in an annual program based on three regulatory tiers determined by the farm’s characteristics and the water resources it uses.

“Is it perfect? No, it’s not,” Eureka board member Geoffrey Hales was quoted by the Press Democrat as saying. “You’ve got to start somewhere.”

There are serious concerns, however, from board member Greg Giusti of Ukiah, who voted against the measure. He argued that growers were not being protected enough from federal law enforcement, and has urged greater privacy for farmers.

A major concern is that due to marijuana being illegal on the federal level, those farms prepared to comply and register could expose their activities to criminal charges on a federal level.

“I am not comfortable with people thinking they are doing the right thing, and then they get slapped, they get cited,” Giusti said.

Pot farmer Anderson agreed with Giusti’s concerns, but was hopeful Washington would not get involved. “It’s a good program, so let’s hope we don’t lose out on this because of federal stupidity.”

The north coast region runs along the Pacific ocean from San Francisco Bay to the Oregon border and includes high-density pot counties such as Humboldt.

Marijuana was decriminalized in California in 2011 and has been legal for medicinal purposes since 1996, but recreational use remains illegal.

15594.jpg

News Moderator: Jacob Redmond 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: California marijuana farmers face country's first water-related regulations | US news | The Guardian
Author: Joseph Mayton
Photo Credit: Marcio Jose Sanchez/The Associated Press
Website: Latest news, sport and comment from the Guardian | The Guardian

As a pot farmer in the emerald triangle in question, I support 101% the, not only, protection of our environment, but the restoration and organic sustainability of our Mother Earth. As a college Environmental Center Director, Environmental Scientist, solar pioneer, and decades long owner of an Environmental Reclamation company, It is my Honor to be first in line to join this Noble Effort.

And the feds scare the Zhit out of me!

In the general sense this sounds good and should be implemented for all agriculture production of scale.

Cannabis sativa L. (hemp) along with mycorrhizal fungi is frequently used in China and other parts of the world as a soil cleaner to reclaim land poisoned by industrial waste and mining.

Here's an idea
There should be a regulation encouraging the growth of hemp and marijuana to cleanse soil over municipal water lens!

As a pot farmer in the emerald triangle in question, I support 101% the, not only, protection of our environment, but the restoration and organic sustainability of our Mother Earth. As a college Environmental Center Director, Environmental Scientist, solar pioneer, and decades long owner of an Environmental Reclamation company, It is my Honor to be first in line to join this Noble Effort.

And the feds scare the Zhit out of me!

Granted you are an environmentally aware individual, you might want to read the rules and regulations before you are so hasty to support the water board's regulations... If the final draft of the regulations is anything like the proposed document, it could cost you more than you think. You won't need to worry about the Feds, you will have inspectors coming to your grow and if you have done any improvements to the environment to grow the wonderful green ladies, it could cost $$$ and in more ways than one. Read the final draft and regulations!!

Link to water discharge meeting agenda: https://www.waterboards.ca.gov/nort...08_2015/items/07/150728_Cannabis_WDR_EOSR.pdf

Granted you are an environmentally aware individual, you might want to read the rules and regulations before you are so hasty to support the water board's regulations... If the final draft of the regulations is anything like the proposed document, it could cost you more than you think. You won't need to worry about the Feds, you will have inspectors coming to your grow and if you have done any improvements to the environment to grow the wonderful green ladies, it could cost $$$ and in more ways than one. Read the final draft and regulations!!

Link to the PROPOSED order R1-2015-0023: https://www.waterboards.ca.gov/nort...2015/items/07/150728_Cannabis_Order_clean.pdf

Link to water discharge meeting agenda: https://www.waterboards.ca.gov/nort...08_2015/items/07/150728_Cannabis_WDR_EOSR.pdf

Link to the PROPOSED order R1-2015-0023: https://www.waterboards.ca.gov/nort...2015/items/07/150728_Cannabis_Order_clean.pdf

I have read them all and continue my support. A clean environment that will keep your children alive is not going to be free OR cheap OR easy.
Stewardship of that which keeps us alive is our MOST important job. Buck up people, how much longer do you think we can keep spoiling our only home!

Back
Top Bottom