Can a clone have a different harvest time this year from last year?

jokerlola

I have outdoor plant that is a clone from a plant I grew outdoors last year which was also from a cutting. I wound up rooting a broken branch last fall and I grew that branch into a plant this summer. I harvested the plant (Silver Mountain) last year on October 26th 2020. I was looking at the trichomes from this year's plant and it looks like it's almost ready to harvest (a month earlier from last year)! Could that be possible? I'm seeing mostly milky trichs with about 10% ambers. I have bud rot on one of the buds too which I don't know where that came from?

Sure it could, every grow has different factors that can influence the grow.

Bud rot is everywhere, literally. Spores can float for miles., It finds you, all it takes is the right conditions, ie., high humidity, minimal air flow, wet conditions.
That's the thing, I have none of those conditions. I'm in Colorado (Golden area, just at the base of the foothills). We are always dry. No humid conditions. We have had hardly any rain and the little rain we have had, I got my plants under the porch before they could be rained on. Also, we've been hot, breaking records for Sept and we were still in the 80's and 90's with a lot of breezes this week. And my plant has good airflow. I've only dealt with bud rot last year on a very densely bushy Harlequin plant and I found one bud with bud rot. The rest of the plant was fine.

Everything I've read on growing Silver Mountain strain outdoors says harvest time is mid October. I wasn't going to even start looking at the trichomes until after the first week of October because of my experience with this plant last year but as I was watering it yesterday it just has that look of being close to finished. Also I have 4 clones growing from this plant and they are not as far along as the mother is but they are further along than the same plant last year.

I'm growing them in the same type soil as last year but because of covid, I used synth nutes that I got at the 2020 Indo Expo (Dutch Pro, and Advanced Nutrients Ancient Earth and Big Bud). This year I used a kind of kitchen sink approach. Alaska Fish 5-1-1, Primordial Solutions Rootimentary, Sea Green and True Blooms, Dr. Earth liquid Home Grown and Flower Girl, plus AN Big Bud for 3 weeks.

That's the thing, I have none of those conditions. I'm in Colorado (Golden area, just at the base of the foothills). We are always dry. No humid conditions. We have had hardly any rain and the little rain we have had, I got my plants under the porch before they could be rained on. Also, we've been hot, breaking records for Sept and we were still in the 80's and 90's with a lot of breezes this week. And my plant has good airflow. I've only dealt with bud rot last year on a very densely bushy Harlequin plant and I found one bud with bud rot. The rest of the plant was fine.
Keep in mind that molds, fungus, and mildews are everywhere. It is part of the circle of life. The best time for these molds, etc. to spread actually is during the dry low humidity times especially when there is a breeze. That is when the spores break off and float in the breeze until they land somewhere. The less rain the more likely that there will be spores spreading the molds.

Once they land on a leaf the spore needs the moisture on the leaf so it can attach and start to grow. Any high humidity periods just help it along

Last summer we had a very dry summer. By fall there was mildew and molds on just about everything in the yard.

This year I had some 'rust' mold/mildew on the lawn and just a couple of plants in the yard with powdery mildew. Then the heavy rains started in June and we have a another heavy rain every couple of days with an occasional break of 10 days of no rain. The only places where I have mildews this summer and early fall is the same plants where it was in early June. In other words, all that rain slowed down the spread.

There is the warning that by the time we see a mold or mildew problem it has already been there for 3 to 4 weeks. Also the stuff prefers warmer temperatures. By now, at least here in this area, the temps are dropping so the growth of any mold or mildew has slowed down.

I have outdoor plant that is a clone from a plant I grew outdoors last year which was also from a cutting. I wound up rooting a broken branch last fall and I grew that branch into a plant this summer. I harvested the plant (Silver Mountain) last year on October 26th 2020. I was looking at the trichomes from this year's plant and it looks like it's almost ready to harvest (a month earlier from last year)! Could that be possible? I'm seeing mostly milky trichs with about 10% ambers. I have bud rot on one of the buds too which I don't know where that came from?
Gotta cut out the bud rot ASAP or it will spread and it spreads fast. So cut out with clean tools and clean hands wash after cutting as well. Dont wanna contaminate any other plants.

For harvest you can roll the dice and watch your weather for cool and rain... those 2 are bad this time of year.. If the plant looks good and the size of the flowers are good, I'd chop. I'm not quite ready outside yet. We need a few more weeks.

Keep in mind that molds, fungus, and mildews are everywhere. It is part of the circle of life. The best time for these molds, etc. to spread actually is during the dry low humidity times especially when there is a breeze. That is when the spores break off and float in the breeze until they land somewhere. The less rain the more likely that there will be spores spreading the molds.

Once they land on a leaf the spore needs the moisture on the leaf so it can attach and start to grow. Any high humidity periods just help it along

Last summer we had a very dry summer. By fall there was mildew and molds on just about everything in the yard.

This year I had some 'rust' mold/mildew on the lawn and just a couple of plants in the yard with powdery mildew. Then the heavy rains started in June and we have a another heavy rain every couple of days with an occasional break of 10 days of no rain. The only places where I have mildews this summer and early fall is the same plants where it was in early June. In other words, all that rain slowed down the spread.

There is the warning that by the time we see a mold or mildew problem it has already been there for 3 to 4 weeks. Also the stuff prefers warmer temperatures. By now, at least here in this area, the temps are dropping so the growth of any mold or mildew has slowed down.

Even with the high daytime temps, last week, night time temps started to dip down to the high 30's. This week we've been back into the night time 50's and 60's but starting today we have cooler weather coming with lows in the mid 40's. I've never had to deal with powdery mildew yet and here in Colorado mildew doesn't seem to be a problem because of our dryness.

The bud that has bud rot also has brown, dead leaves around it as well, almost like something spilled on it. Maybe a bird or insect droppings?
Gotta cut out the bud rot ASAP or it will spread and it spreads fast. So cut out with clean tools and clean hands wash after cutting as well. Dont wanna contaminate any other plants.

For harvest you can roll the dice and watch your weather for cool and rain... those 2 are bad this time of year.. If the plant looks good and the size of the flowers are good, I'd chop. I'm not quite ready outside yet. We need a few more weeks.
So do I cut out just the rotted part or the whole bud or the whole branch?

2BD131F9-C7AE-4F65-B120-58C6F109A57B.jpeg

94EC80B5-7B96-48C8-9C91-E7197A818537.jpeg

1422443B-D307-4E10-846E-F34351901AB7.jpeg

AF4043DF-5310-4E52-8357-554967DBE27C.jpeg

Just need to cut out the rotted section - it usually starts at the top and works it way down the plant. So cut a little below where the brown stuff is... clean clean clean..

PM likes dry and hot conditions. It grows but you cant see it until it starts fruiting like a mushroom cause that's what it is. Its a fungus. Usually it begins to show so that we can see it later in the season like now outdoors. Cause there's less sunlight and the sun will keep it at bay along with the plants immune system. Less of both of those this time of year and that's how it takes off.

Best to treat plants early before flower set to keep the spores from growing.

Just need to cut out the rotted section - it usually starts at the top and works it way down the plant. So cut a little below where the brown stuff is... clean clean clean..

PM likes dry and hot conditions. It grows but you cant see it until it starts fruiting like a mushroom cause that's what it is. Its a fungus. Usually it begins to show so that we can see it later in the season like now outdoors. Cause there's less sunlight and the sun will keep it at bay along with the plants immune system. Less of both of those this time of year and that's how it takes off.

Best to treat plants early before flower set to keep the spores from growing.
Ok. So I cut off the infected part of the bud.

So except for the bud rot on that bud, it isn’t unusual for the plant to be ready for harvest about a month sooner than the mother plant last year?

I’ve noticed it’s watering requirements have went down in the last week. She was needing to be watered every 2 to 3 days. And now she’s going up to only using up water, every 4 to 5 days.

Also, does letting a plant dry up too much lead to bud rot? I have never let her dry to the point of drooping but I do wait until the pot is very light (past half weight of a fully saturated plant).

743EDCCD-8DDA-442B-865A-E31AB1B05112.jpeg

Seems to me that when dealing with bud rot it would be best practice to bag it before you cut it off. Or am I missing something here?
Put a bread bag over your hand, grab the infected bud, cut & remove slowly or cut & bag slowly before removing.

Back
Top Bottom