Can somebody tell me exactly about PPM ?

I don't think I know the finer points of feeding by ppm, but I do use it to measure how much I feed.
Basically, I have a meter that, when put in the bucket of water/nutrient mix, tells me or at least estimates, the parts per million of the nutrient in the water. This tells me how much I am feeding the plants. It's not really different than just knowing how many ml/gallon of nutrient you used, but it's more accurate. Another useful thing about the meter is that you can check the runoff that comes out of the bottom of the pots when you water, and this can tell you something about how much a plant has been feeding. For hydro growers, of which I am not one, I imagine that a ppm meter would be almost essential - so they can keep their reservoir full of nutrient solution at the desired level. In hydro growing it's possible to easily see how much nutrient a plant is consuming- by monitoring the ppm of the reservoir.
I hope this helps.
Here is a link to a little more in-depth thread. It looks confusing at first glance but it's not so bad if you read through it :)

ChristianKungFu - TDS, PPM, and EC

I don't think I know the finer points of feeding by ppm, but I do use it to measure how much I feed.
Basically, I have a meter that, when put in the bucket of water/nutrient mix, tells me or at least estimates, the parts per million of the nutrient in the water. This tells me how much I am feeding the plants. It's not really different than just knowing how many ml/gallon of nutrient you used, but it's more accurate. Another useful thing about the meter is that you can check the runoff that comes out of the bottom of the pots when you water, and this can tell you something about how much a plant has been feeding. For hydro growers, of which I am not one, I imagine that a ppm meter would be almost essential - so they can keep their reservoir full of nutrient solution at the desired level. In hydro growing it's possible to easily see how much nutrient a plant is consuming- by monitoring the ppm of the reservoir.
I hope this helps.
Here is a link to a little more in-depth thread. It looks confusing at first glance but it's not so bad if you read through it :)

ChristianKungFu - TDS, PPM, and EC

Thanks alot. Looks like one more thing I have to purchase... lol

PPM as Weaselcracker indicated means parts per million. It's a unit of measurement to show the amount of total dissolved solids in a liquid. The higher the nutrient level the higher the ppm. However I would suggest using EC (electrical conductivity) as your measurement because it remains constant. PPM meters vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. For instance 1.0 EC = 500 ppm in some meters and 1.0 EC = 700 ppm in others. So if your ppm's read 1500 it could either mean 3.0 EC or 2.2 depending on your meter. Makes a big difference. Hope that helps.

I grow in coco and I never use a ppm or EC meter - I just feed using the K.I.S.S. Method and everything is always perfect. Try it - saves buying a meter, and storage solution. All I adjust is the Ph and for that I use the GH drops.

PPM as Weaselcracker indicated means parts per million. It's a unit of measurement to show the amount of total dissolved solids in a liquid. The higher the nutrient level the higher the ppm. However I would suggest using EC (electrical conductivity) as your measurement because it remains constant. PPM meters vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. For instance 1.0 EC = 500 ppm in some meters and 1.0 EC = 700 ppm in others. So if your ppm's read 1500 it could either mean 3.0 EC or 2.2 depending on your meter. Makes a big difference. Hope that helps.

I grow in coco and I never use a ppm or EC meter - I just feed using the K.I.S.S. Method and everything is always perfect. Try it - saves buying a meter, and storage solution. All I adjust is the Ph and for that I use the GH drops.

Thanks alot. How about when I mix up my soloution and I have a good bit left over, in coco and perlite, watering a few times aday. How long does my left over water remain good to use? I put a lid on the bucket, which has about a gallon left to still water with.

Back
Top Bottom