CannaButter In 7 Easy Steps!

Warm up the container (to get every drop possible) and put it and the water into a crock pot. Start over by heating it for a couple of hours on low until it's shiny on top. It should be fine to strain again. Pour it into ice trays. Each cube is about 1/2 cup.

I appreciate the help on this. I'm just wondering...how does that work? Wouldn't the excessive amount of water still be mixed in with the butter?

Sorry I didn't explain that quite right. Too many cookies. :thumb:
Strain it into the most narrow bowl that will fit your batch. I find plastic juice pitchers work well. After your budder has cooled and seperated from the water, melt the budder in the microwave without the water of course. From there you can pour it into the ice cube trays.

How would I separate the budder from the water at all? It's already cooled, and because of the width in the container, the it's too thin of a solid and it breaks back up in the water when I touch it, or even move the container.

Should I boil the water more to lower the amount of water present? If I can get it in a smaller container like the one shown in the original post, I think I would be easily able to get it then. I don't know the size of the dish in the picture exactly, however mine is currently in a huge one, like one you'd use to make mashed potatoes in one of those household stiring machines (I don't know the name off hand xD)

Edit: Alright, I just pulled out the container out of the fridge. I only have certain times I can do things with it because I don't want to get in trouble over the smell and what not, so I took a look at it. I noticed that even though it broke up, it was still in large chunks, so I took one of those holey spoons and scooped out alittle over a half cup of the budder (I made a cup). I microwaved the rest to melt it, and I'm gonna try to see if I can do the same thing again later today.

The problem was that the guide I read originally said to use the LARGEST boiling pot I had, and fill it 3-4" from the top with water. Well my largest pot is vastly larger than the average. As a result, by the time I finished boiling the budder, there was a ton of left over water. I know better for next time.

I did the same thing the first time. I was so afraid of burning the budder I added way too much water, then needed a much larger bowl to catch it all. Then used a spatula to scrap off my thin layer of budder.
The only point of the water is that butter won't burn in simmering water. So next time only use about 2-3 cups water for a lb of butter. And never boil, just simmer.
In the end, you did the right thing. I'm sure your budder will be delightful. :)

I'm not too annoyed at myself, everyone makes mistakes the first time. As long as I'm able to salvage it, which I am, it's simply a learning experience.

I made some cookies with the budder I extracted earlier, and I intend to try them out soon =)

Well first off I have to say it is amazing to see this thread was created in 2005 and still is moving strong. The first time I looked at this recipe was last year around this time, but I never really thought about making it until now.

So yesterday I decided to make a batch. It was my first attempt at making this. I followed the original instructions and I used half a pound of butter with a half o just to try it out. I used 8 grams of good bud and 6 of vaped. I found everything to be pretty easy until the part where I almost dumped the whole half o into the mix when trying to take the cheesecloth off. Also I was not prepared with gloves. Luckily I managed not to dump it in.

Looking at the batch this morning and taking it out of the container was kind of hard. I was trying to get it out in one chunk like in the picture but no such luck. Although I managed to get some decent sized chunks out, but in the end it really doesnt matter what it looks like. It looks really good and I plan on making some chocolate chip cookies. Thank you to Hash for the awsome recipe.

I cook a lot using a method much like this, 1 difference i liek to soak whatever it is I'm using in water for about a day before i start this process, reason being all the Chlorophyll will drain & yet all the THC remains in the weed. since THC is not water soluble and when the butter solidifies,the weed stays in the water and all the THC mixes with the butter. Of course thats just because I'm picky.

hello from austria my fellow smokers!!!!

I finally joined ur great forum :Namaste: and have a question straight away!!

I am just about to finish my first grow and was wondering if I should still let my left overs (leaves/ small buds) dry out completely before making butter with them????

Or is it enough if i just dry them 2 or 3 days.... or not at all (i guess the thc won't be active then yet)

or should I just quick dry them in the oven for that???

thanks for any replies,
Fettland

hello from austria my fellow smokers!!!!

I finally joined ur great forum :Namaste: and have a question straight away!!

I am just about to finish my first grow and was wondering if I should still let my left overs (leaves/ small buds) dry out completely before making butter with them????

Or is it enough if i just dry them 2 or 3 days.... or not at all (i guess the thc won't be active then yet)

or should I just quick dry them in the oven for that???

thanks for any replies,
Fettland

I see no reason to dry your material first and the extraction process will give you the right temps needed to activate.

My next batch I'm water curing for a week first in order to remove some of the water soluble odour and then it will go right from the cure to the simmering pot. If odours aren't an issue for you just start cooking and good luck.

You might mention not to use mids. I did and it tastes horrible! And dont use it as you would butter, like on rice. No bueno. :(

I typically only use medical grade Cannabis buds, and if made correctly, the "green butter" will solidify like normal butter and can be substituted into most any recipe. I've had great luck making breads, cakes, candies, cookies, pasta, etc...just using my green butter instead of the stuff from the grocery store. FWIW, I usually trim off the nasty "soft soapy" textured gunk from the edges of my green butter.

:peace: and :Namaste:

I typically only use medical grade Cannabis buds, and if made correctly, the "green butter" will solidify like normal butter and can be substituted into most any recipe. I've had great luck making breads, cakes, candies, cookies, pasta, etc...just using my green butter instead of the stuff from the grocery store. FWIW, I usually trim off the nasty "soft soapy" textured gunk from the edges of my green butter.

:peace: and :Namaste:

Like I said, followed it to a T. But it melts just like the yellow stuff! I bet it will be fine as an ingredient. Just not to flavor things like I did.

Thank you my good fellow. I'll be making some butter, I just know it!!

What about with some hash? What's the method there? I bet it is the same, but one must be careful to use an appropriate amount!

Hey everyone!

I stumbled across two ounces of mid-grade shake for pretty cheap, so I decided to try baking. It was a smooth smoking Grapefruit batch, with a tiny bit of popcorn bud at the top of the bag.

I decided to mix that with a pound and a half of butter (6 sticks) to get the right potency.

I simmered this with about a liter of water for two and a half hours, then skimmed and strained the butter off, and chilled it in the fridge. The butter came out nicely, and I made two batches of brownies and a batch of cookies.

I smoke every day and have a decent tolerance, but I cut one batch of brownies into 8 and had 2... it annihilated me! I greened out pretty hard, then passed out.

So just to let anyone wondering, mid-grade shake can still do the trick when it comes to cannabutter or brownies :)

I tried making cannabutter tonite. I only had a little under a stick of butter and used the fine pieces left from my grinders and such and after a half hour or so of cooking I realized that I FORGOT THE WATER! I hurried up and added some and cooked for about another 1/2 hr (I figured since I was using thr super fine dust I should shorten cooking time). I just put it in the fridge. Didn't have cheesecloth and tried a coffee filter, didn't work and then I thought of gauze. It worked great! Will post tomorrow and let you know how it turned out. Peace out.

To mask the smell of cooking cannabutter I take garlic cloves and peel and chop them, add them to some boiling water and the place fills with the aroma of garlic. Works great. Peace out.

Turned out so good I made more again and the sauted scallops with gatlic and shallots...WOW! Have a good one. Washington, HERE I COME!:party: Peace out.

If anyone can help..awesome!

So I'm cooking this now and used 12 grams of very headie bud...when it says "make sure the stove is on a low setting" ...what exactly constitutes as a low setting. My stove is an electric cooktop and has a setting of 1-10...there is also a low setting on the knob located right before the number 1 and a high setting right after the number 10.

I have it set between the low setting and the number 1. Hope it is cooking low enough, but also high enough to extract. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
:wood:
:wood:
:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom