CannaButter In 7 Easy Steps!

So today I was searching the web for some pointers on odorless cannabutter making (unfortunately I live in a dorm). Luckily I came across this Youtube vid:

YouTube - How to Make Canna Butter: Easy Weed Butter

Judging by the reviews it seems like the method works and is equally effective as all the others, but a preponderance of evidence can never hurt. Has anyone tried making cannabutter this way and if so how did it work for you? Seeing that its the only feasible option that I have given the circumstances, I could use a success story...or two.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

I have used this method for making oil. The principal is the same. Putting the goodies in the separate jar/pan prevents the oil from becoming too hot, thus you are not loosing THC to evaporation. They always say to cook this shit for hours but I don't. I usually let a pan heat up in the boiling water for 30 minutes (stirring frequently) with great results, and I have had others that were done in 15 that worked just fine as well. I use about a 1/2 oz. per 1/2 cup of oil. Butter is my next experiment, but I imagine the results will be the same.

I use about a 1/2 oz. per 1/2 cup of oil.

Oh, I forgot. If the recipe calls for 1/2 cup of oil then I always start out cooking with a little more. You will loose some of what you start out with--the herb absorbs some, straining doesn't get you 100% of what you put in--so you always need to think a little bigger. :nicethread:

does Cannabutter In 7 Easy Steps! really work and can i use a quarter of weed and 1 stick of butter will that work please hash write back plz

thx

I crock pot mine over night. Cook it for like 6-8 hours on low, then let it come back to room temperature overnight then reheat it again and cook for another 3-4 hours, then let cool and strain. But I put in like 8lbs of butter at a time :) Big crock pot.

Here is some tips for for cooking. First DONT GRIND TRIM leafs / etc... Only CHOP buds . Why? Because you dont want plant matter in your mix.

If you can , pre kief the 420 your going to use then soak in water to release all the plant turpines that are water soluable (like chlorophyll) this helps aid the taste.

Secondly, soaking the leaves EVEN if you dont kief will help the 420 not absord the butter so you get more output.

Lastly, slowly heat the butter and remove the white foam on top of it, this is the milk fats and those will burn and or cause the butter to "turn " quicker.

I crock pot mine over night. Cook it for like 6-8 hours on low, then let it come back to room temperature overnight then reheat it again and cook for another 3-4 hours, then let cool and strain. But I put in like 8lbs of butter at a time :) Big crock pot.

Here is some tips for for cooking. First DONT GRIND TRIM leafs / etc... Only CHOP buds . Why? Because you dont want plant matter in your mix.

If you can , pre kief the 420 your going to use then soak in water to release all the plant turpines that are water soluable (like chlorophyll) this helps aid the taste.

Secondly, soaking the leaves EVEN if you dont kief will help the 420 not absord the butter so you get more output.

Lastly, slowly heat the butter and remove the white foam on top of it, this is the milk fats and those will burn and or cause the butter to "turn " quicker.
Great post. I do my canna butter very similar and it makes very nice tasting canna butter.
I do add very fine sticky small leaves to my canna butter along with buds.
I use approx. 1/2 an ounce of (buds only) or 1 ounce of leaf material to a pound of butter
Making good tasting canna treats is a benefit to every med user.

By the way, I got my card last month so am 100% legal.
Waaa hooo!!!:cheer:

Here are some pics of some canna treats I make for myself
Damn! I forgot that i do not know how to add pics.
That sucks.:popcorn:
oh well:slide:

Lacy,

Congrats on your becomming medical. Hopefully its for a legitimate purpose and not for some get high method. But should it be for the latter at least lie to me :) hehe.

tonight is my experimental night. tonight the weather is gloom and perfect for the experimenting. its almost 3:50am PST and I might emerge from the lab (kitchen) with an amazing trick for oil or maybe canna butter.

I have some secrets I will be utilizing and should it come out successful I will post the results or maybe I will just PM you since it sounds like your an educated and experienced baker :).

hello,
was wondering, if i made this according to the directions but then instead of straining it i just put the whole water/butter/weed mixture in the fridge to seperate...other than getting plant material/crunch in the butter would it have any negative impact...like affecting the potency of the butter or anything like that?

--also if i use weed with seeds in it...and grind it up in a coffe grinder to a fine powder..is it ok to leave the seeds in?....the weed i have would take forever to de-seed.....

Just made a batcho'budder last night! I use another way to make budder. I use a double boiler so instead of mixing water in with the butter, just melt the butter on top of a double boiler and mix the weed directly in it and simmer for a couple of hours. I ground down the weed almost to a powder before mixing into the butter so there is even consistency. Made a nice batch of Gingerbread cupcakes!! Tonight I will make Chocolate Ecstasy brownies! Yum!

Man, I bet you'll never do that again. Straining it would just leave you with the butter. but I would throw it in the micro for a half a minute or two and strain to get the trash out, I read there is no bennefits to the water or the spent herb but if you do eat it like that let me know how it was, just for kicks.

hello,
was wondering, if i made this according to the directions but then instead of straining it i just put the whole water/butter/weed mixture in the fridge to seperate...other than getting plant material/crunch in the butter would it have any negative impact...like affecting the potency of the butter or anything like that?

--also if i use weed with seeds in it...and grind it up in a coffe grinder to a fine powder..is it ok to leave the seeds in?....the weed i have would take forever to de-seed.....

Hello,

First of all, this business/hobby/medication is NOT a place to be CHEAP. Spend the 3 bucks for cheese cloth and strain it. the waste plant matter is useless. As a trick , strain the first batch of plant matter decently, the restrain the whole amount in small batches with the cheese cloth. The second run will be darker and contain plant matter the first batch should be brighter green. There is no potency difference, the darker stuff may taste a bit better. BUT trust me THE STRAIN IS WORTH IT, and the two versions of straining is KEY. I let the whole strained mess harden in fridge then remelt and put in 16oz plastic tubs for storage or dispensing. The second run is ONLY for brownies since it has the most green taste.

Secondly,

DO NOT GRIND SEEDS. HOLY CRAP! I used to work at a club so I know my tricks. I rolled almost 1000 joints in two days from the most brick weed you can think of from this idiot who let a hermaphrodite exist in his garden of like 50 plants. So we had seed weed for days! He didnt even both really trimming it, he just dried it and bagged it. So heres the skinny on seeds.

You want to BUY A LARGE POT if you dont have one, hopefully you have a gas stove. Fill the pot with 25% water, then SHRED/CHUNK with your hands the seedy weed DONT GRIND. You want to make sure you can strain the seeds herb out. TASTE MATTERS and seeds dont help taste they make it WORSE. Especially if your sharing your medicine with other patients. Then let the water and herb boil for maybe 15 minutes ALONE. To ensure all plants tuprines and water soluble components including chorophlly have all been absorbed by the water.

How much herb? well high quality herb that was just seeds out for breeding or by accident you can still use 1 oz of buds per lb of butter for strong butter or if its trim from good seedy weed might want to use two. For mex start with two , and for trim mex you might need 4. I liike my butter potent because you can always use half herb butter and half regular to tone it down but you can use twice the butter in a recipe IT DOESNT WORK! It its really crstally weed or kiefy good weed then you may want to KIEF it first. This way you dont loose any of those THC through this process.

Then add the ghee. NOT BUTTER. Ghee is butter minus the milk solids, this keeps the butter from spoiling faster and is more potent. Stick the butter in the microwave for 30 seconds at a time, once its fully melted. Scoup off the white layer on top. These are the milk solids, and discard them. They help nothing.

Let this mixture boil for two - four hours on LOW RUMBLING BOIL. Make sure there is always water in the pot. and I NEVER FILL THE POT. water EXPANDS as it heats. DONT WANT TO WASTE BUTTER ALL OVER THE STOVE :).

ok, now back to the straining. another tip. Let the mix COOL DOWN to just before it starts to coagulate on top else you will burn the holy crap out of yourself. I recommend to buy a wire strainer to set over the bowl your straining the mix into and set the cheese cloth in it as your pour your mixture through it so you can make this alone :). I still recommend an extra set of hands but this method can be done alone in large batches. And sounds like you might have an abundance or seedy.

Ok so once you have the miture strained from the plant matter/seeds. THROW it away. Put the first run strain back into a CLEANED pot, yes wash it in the middle so make sure you dont have any more plant matter. Then fill it half full of water and add the butter mixture and let it boil for about half an hour... Then Restrain, Yes you incur a little loss from the second strain but this insures all the possible plant matter and seeds are out. wouldnt want to bite into a seed. This second boil removes more of the water soluble components. Do this with the second run as well BUT SEPARATELY as no matter how many boils you cant remove all the small bits and chlorophyll that are in this batch.

Then place in fridge , let hard and DISCARD the water below the butter wafers, also scrape the white dots off and the green ish slime, these two things lead to bacteria forming.

IF YOU USED MEX , or non flushed high chemical cannabis do this process a couple times.

In those plastic tubs I mentioned you can place the butter in freezer for long term storage.

So in closing, take the extra time and a little extra work and no one including you will know the weed ever sucked and youll have the best HIDDEN taste. Silent and deadly.

thanks for the info...

here is what i did..

i followed the instructions located on first page of this thread exactly...using
1/2 ounce (14 grams) of very low quality bricked full-o-seeds weed in 1 stick of butter (1/4 lb. , 1/2 cup)...i grinded up the weed before i threw it in..and then i did strain it once through some cheese cloth per instructions earlier in the thread...butter formed in the tub perfectly (it did not contain any plant matter or seed shells or anything, but was green)..the following day i used all of the butter to make a batch of brownies.....i ate half the tray (equivalent of 1/8 lb. of the butter, 1/4 cup) and after 3 hours of waiting felt absolutely nothing....was it because the weed was so low quality...any ideas?

Ok so once you have the miture strained from the plant matter/seeds. THROW it away. Put the first run strain back into a CLEANED pot, yes wash it in the middle so make sure you dont have any more plant matter. Then fill it half full of water and add the butter mixture and let it boil for about half an hour... Then Restrain, Yes you incur a little loss from the second strain but this insures all the possible plant matter and seeds are out. wouldnt want to bite into a seed. This second boil removes more of the water soluble components. Do this with the second run as well BUT SEPARATELY as no matter how many boils you cant remove all the small bits and chlorophyll that are in this batch.

IF YOU USED MEX , or non flushed high chemical cannabis do this process a couple times.

so i did not do this step u are mentioning, would it have made that big a difference?.....i mean after half the tray of brownies, nothing at all???

Nope this step is only for taste purposes.

The following reason could affect your outcome.

1) if this was your first edible experience, then some people don't feel the effect for a few treatments, like the problem with the first time you smoke.

2) Did you smoke to inititate the affect. Sometimes not inhaling beforehand you may not notice how messed up you are. Its like having a barrel of gasoline with no match.

3) Some people metabolize cannabis or dont fully digest it well, so maybe this could be the case.

4) Did you go to sleep within 2-3 hours of taking them? Sometimes it takes a while to kick in. In fact my friend have said its more effective the day after for them when they take it at night. they wake up feeling lethargic.
Problems most likely, you over heated the butter and killed off any if at all THC glands left on the plant matter.
Or...
Your body spent so much time trying to fight the chemicals they used to grow it that it did not have time to enjoy the buzz..
OR MOST LIKELY.

YOU NEED TO USE DECENT BUDD, only 14 grams of crap weed probably wouldnt do much depends on the quality.

Try it again soon, this time. take photos of the starting bud to post if there is issues, try to get a photo you can see the crystals , so you need a good amount of light.

1) if this was your first edible experience, then some people don't feel the effect for a few treatments, like the problem with the first time you smoke.

2) Did you smoke to inititate the affect. Sometimes not inhaling beforehand you may not notice how messed up you are. Its like having a barrel of gasoline with no match.

3) Some people metabolize cannabis or dont fully digest it well, so maybe this could be the case.

4) Did you go to sleep within 2-3 hours of taking them? Sometimes it takes a while to kick in. In fact my friend have said its more effective the day after for them when they take it at night. they wake up feeling lethargic.
Problems most likely, you over heated the butter and killed off any if at all THC glands left on the plant matter.
Or...
Your body spent so much time trying to fight the chemicals they used to grow it that it did not have time to enjoy the buzz..
OR MOST LIKELY.

YOU NEED TO USE DECENT BUDD, only 14 grams of crap weed probably wouldnt do much depends on the quality.

Try it again soon, this time. take photos of the starting bud to post if there is issues, try to get a photo you can see the crystals , so you need a good amount of light.

ah cool..thanks

i think its obvious i need to just use better bud next time as

1. had some brownies made by someone else a while ago and about 2 hours after eating them...mmm...good times!!

2. was smoking periodically throughout the day

3. see #1

4. slept about 9 hours after eating them and felt nothing the next day when i awoke,

i dont think i burned the butter...is it possible to have it simmering at too low of a temp?

if it was other chemicals in the bud my body was fighting...would same thing happen when i smoke the bud..because i can get a buzz off it after 2 bowls lol...i mean if there are any crystals in this nasty stuff i cant see them..

yes i think it was most likely the quality of the bud...

i will be trying again in 3 weeks or so with some good quality buds..and am going to use 1/4 ounce (7 grams) buds + any stems/leaves from trimming for 1 stick of butter (1/4 pound, 1/2 cup), will post here how it goes,
thanks for the advice jonny827

First off, excellent guide. I like the way you do the straining, its better than what I was doing. I have about 2+ ounces of vaped (good bud and only vaped at 365) weed I will be cooking into cannabutter. How much butter do you think I should use? I was thinking 2 sticks, since I like to keep it strong. Is that enough to get all the THC out? :ganjamon:

I swear to god I get high from standing over the stove when the pot is cooking. Has anyone else noticed this?

If you are getting high, which yes, you may be, you are wasting THC. I once did pure olive oil method (no water), and heated it up far too much before throwing in about 3 grams of ground up good bud. All the THC came out in a smoke right in my face in about 2 seconds. Got me high, but the weed instantly turned brown and I knew that the oil would not work out as planned. Made me sad.

I know, I know. Right? :goodjob:

First off, excellent guide. I like the way you do the straining, its better than what I was doing. I have about 2+ ounces of vaped (good bud and only vaped at 365) weed I will be cooking into cannabutter. How much butter do you think I should use? I was thinking 2 sticks, since I like to keep it strong. Is that enough to get all the THC out? :ganjamon:

Not sure if this compliment was for me, as there are other people who have had some great input to the thread including the MAIN contributor. But either way I will take some of the appreciation.

Either way , yes two sticks or a half lbs may work.

Last night I just did a series of experimenting. I will find out fi I found a new method to DRASTICALLY reduce the taste of the butter. If it works, I will begin a new chapter and write nice new instructions and include some more tricks I have learned over the years.

I have read about many ways to make butter. My sister is a baker and I told her I make hannabutter using a double boiler technique. She said that was perfect because you eliminate the water altogether. I grind up bud to a powder and add it to the melted butter and let it simmer over the double boiler for two hours. I then strain it using a mesh strainer WITH cheesecloth in it. The butter is then a fine consistency so no worries about crunch at all. It mixes well with other baking ingredients. IMPORTANT: use unsalted butter when baking sweets! Use salted butter when making sauces that ask for salt.

I have read about many ways to make butter. My sister is a baker and I told her I make hannabutter using a double boiler technique. She said that was perfect because you eliminate the water altogether. I grind up bud to a powder and add it to the melted butter and let it simmer over the double boiler for two hours. I then strain it using a mesh strainer WITH cheesecloth in it. The butter is then a fine consistency so no worries about crunch at all. It mixes well with other baking ingredients. IMPORTANT: use unsalted butter when baking sweets! Use salted butter when making sauces that ask for salt.

I use a mesh strainer as well as cheese cloth as well but I dont grind up the weed to a powder so I can strain out UN NEEDED plant matter. The water is added to my mix first. Plant turpines and water soluble chemicals are NOT THC so there fore why contaminate my butter, more compounds for my stomach to break down. The other fat soluble ones are enough.

The water can also be separated easily. It prevents the mixture from rising above the boiling point of water and clarify the mixture. Did she also mention to make ghee to prevent the milk solids from spoiling the flavor or grow mold/bacteria?

The double boiler would be nice to ENSURE no loss of cannabinoids by ensuring the boiling mixture does rise above the temperature of boiling water. the issue is some double boilers seal too well and the temperature raises above boiling point, so the water in the top allows a safeguard for me and I dont mind waiting a bit to let it separate for all of it's benefits.

Back
Top Bottom