CannaButter In 7 Easy Steps!

i would think (and am hoping) that the stems contain THC, next time I am going to try throwing some stems and leave trimmigs in with the bud...if i was only using stems..from good bud...i would use at least double the amount of stems that you would use if they were buds, i.e....2 ounces per lb. of butter

living in a higher altitude, water boils at a lower temp...202 farenheit here

is it possible to have the mixture simmering at too low of a temp?
..should i actually have the mixture bubbling while simmering?..or just a little steam coming off the surface?,
i have a thermometer..is there a particular temp i should aim for while mixture is simmering for the 3 hours?

Hobble54 and Something,

First off DO NOT USE STEMS! Your wasting your time... it would take like 20lbs of stems and a 1/2lb of butter and even then you would need to use special tricks to separate the THC from stems before placing into a crock pot to boil using some iso alcohol.

Also I would REMOVE ANY STEMS FROM ANY MIXTURE. They contain LOW LOW LOW amounts of THC and tons of other plant NUTRIENTS which means CHEMICALS and bad taste and they contain the most plant tuprines and chlorophyll.

Something:

living in a higher altitude, water boils at a lower temp...202 farenheit here

is it possible to have the mixture simmering at too low of a temp?
..should i actually have the mixture bubbling while simmering?..or just a little steam coming off the surface?,
i have a thermometer..is there a particular temp i should aim for while mixture is simmering for the 3 hours?

ME:

You should aim for boiling. Stripping the cannabinoids from their bond requires a good amount of energy. And 202 should be fine... Its more headache to try and control the temp then just let it boil and keep water in there. For how complicated and precise I try to be , this is the part I keep it simple stupid.

You can do this but I recommend considering using COOKING GLYCERIN, MAKE SURE ITS FOR COOKING, there is TWO TYPES one is NOT FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION! If the label says in case of consumption contact a poison control center this may be a clue!

Be careful! But use cooking glycerin instead of the butter recipe. WELL VENTILATED (use fans) room and only need to boil for maybe then minutes. You strain the plant matter away.

Unlike butter you dont need to wait for separation.

Why Glycerin?
Because water does not strip THC from the stems And in order to have ANY CHANCE OF POTENCY , you need THC soluble.

And why not honey?
Because honey doesnt work too well for green plant matter and you cant strain it. And its messy.

11122009676_th.jpg
11122009681_th.jpg

THIS IS HOW I MADE MINE, I LEFT MINE OVERNIGHT FOR ABOUT 10-12 HRS, THOUGH I HAD OVER COOKED IT BUT IT STILL CAME OUT FINE. THE BROWNEYS I MADE WHERE DELICIOUS. I USED ABOUT 1/2 LB OF BUTTER TO 1/2 OZ OF BUDS AND 1 OZ OF LEAVES, I RECOMMEND THE SILVER BULLER, HANDY LIL GRINDER, ON SECOND OCCASSION I USED LESS LEAVES AND MORE BUDS AND FELT THE SAME EXACT HIGH, SO I DO USE LEAVES. WISH I HAD A LARGER ONE TO MAKE A LARGER BATCH OF BUTTER.

You should aim for boiling. Stripping the cannabinoids from their bond requires a good amount of energy. And 202 should be fine... Its more headache to try and control the temp then just let it boil and keep water in there. For how complicated and precise I try to be , this is the part I keep it simple stupid.

ok thanks, that helps...when i tried it last time i did not let it form any bubbles....everytime it did these solid-white lumps would form, so i would turn down the heat so no more bubbles formed, so i think that was probably the problem first time was i did not let the mixture get hot enough, so are these solid-white lumps ok to have forming(assuming i DONT clarify the butter first), i thought these were a sign i was burning the butter......

They are fine to eat but will make the butter go bad faster and may hold onto more taste. You can clairfy these after if you want by boiling the butter with water and removing the foam. BUt I recommend boiling, and letting it rumble boil for a minute until you see this foam form, then turn off fire , it will force the bubbles to the side of the pot which will make it easier to spoon out.

Now, should I PM you my address my young apprentice so you can send me some of them treats to sample since you didnt have to buy the book.

:) kidding... got a good morning buzz ... My experiments are finishing now and I will be cooking with the waste butter and good butter soon and will let you know how my first experiment landed.

thanks, all right, boiling it is!..have about 2 1/2 to 3 weeks and i will be attempting to make a cannacake with cannabutter frosting..will post how it goes....

..could this have been what was wrong with my first batch perhaps? (the fact i never let it get to the boiling point)
My experiments are finishing now and I will be cooking with the waste butter and good butter soon and will let you know how my first experiment landed.

what do you mean by "waste butter"?

11122009676_th.jpg
11122009681_th.jpg

THIS IS HOW I MADE MINE, I LEFT MINE OVERNIGHT FOR ABOUT 10-12 HRS, THOUGH I HAD OVER COOKED IT BUT IT STILL CAME OUT FINE. THE BROWNEYS I MADE WHERE DELICIOUS. I USED ABOUT 1/2 LB OF BUTTER TO 1/2 OZ OF BUDS AND 1 OZ OF LEAVES, I RECOMMEND THE SILVER BULLER, HANDY LIL GRINDER, ON SECOND OCCASSION I USED LESS LEAVES AND MORE BUDS AND FELT THE SAME EXACT HIGH, SO I DO USE LEAVES. WISH I HAD A LARGER ONE TO MAKE A LARGER BATCH OF BUTTER.

Is that some kind of a slow cooker? What temp did you put it on?

You can do this but I recommend considering using COOKING GLYCERIN, MAKE SURE ITS FOR COOKING, there is TWO TYPES one is NOT FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION! If the label says in case of consumption contact a poison control center this may be a clue!

Be careful! But use cooking glycerin instead of the butter recipe. WELL VENTILATED (use fans) room and only need to boil for maybe then minutes. You strain the plant matter away.

Unlike butter you dont need to wait for separation.

Why Glycerin?
Because water does not strip THC from the stems And in order to have ANY CHANCE OF POTENCY , you need THC soluble.

And why not honey?
Because honey doesnt work too well for green plant matter and you cant strain it. And its messy.

I have made glycerine tincture by soaking the bud or leaf in it for 6 months, but aI never knew about heating it. Must make the process go much faster!

I have read about many ways to make butter. My sister is a baker and I told her I make hannabutter using a double boiler technique. She said that was perfect because you eliminate the water altogether. I grind up bud to a powder and add it to the melted butter and let it simmer over the double boiler for two hours. I then strain it using a mesh strainer WITH cheesecloth in it. The butter is then a fine consistency so no worries about crunch at all. It mixes well with other baking ingredients. IMPORTANT: use unsalted butter when baking sweets! Use salted butter when making sauces that ask for salt.

I have been using this technique in the slow cooker, but it is my understanding that I should get a stronger product when using the waer method.

I also use cannabis oil and just melt it right into the butter - easier, but more expensive!

First off, excellent guide. I like the way you do the straining, its better than what I was doing. I have about 2+ ounces of vaped (good bud and only vaped at 365) weed I will be cooking into cannabutter. How much butter do you think I should use? I was thinking 2 sticks, since I like to keep it strong. Is that enough to get all the THC out? :ganjamon:

If you are getting high, which yes, you may be, you are wasting THC. I once did pure olive oil method (no water), and heated it up far too much before throwing in about 3 grams of ground up good bud. All the THC came out in a smoke right in my face in about 2 seconds. Got me high, but the weed instantly turned brown and I knew that the oil would not work out as planned. Made me sad.

I know, I know. Right? :goodjob:

I make olive oil in my slow cooker and use it for salad dressings, etc. I use 2 g of bud for each oz. of oil, and leave it on low overnight. Turns out great!

yeah its my slow cooker, i put it on high first to get temp up but then put it on low overnight.

I forgot to ask you if you used the water method in your slow cooker, or just the butter and weed. I have been doing that in my slow cooker, but I heard this water method was supposed to give you a stronger product so I thought I'd try it.

Another recipe I saw suggests saving the water to cook with: "Keep the remaining amber liquid to cook with, as it will contain residual THC. Use it in sauces or to boil noodles — the sky's the limit."

Does anyone have an opinion about this?

I forgot to ask you if you used the water method in your slow cooker, or just the butter and weed. I have been doing that in my slow cooker, but I heard this water method was supposed to give you a stronger product so I thought I'd try it.

I USE WATER IN MY COOKER ABOUT 2 CUPS OR SO, NEVER DONE IT WITHOUT IT SO IM NOT SURE HOW WELL THAT WORKS.:popcorn: EXTRA BUTTER PLEASE

I just added hash to some cookie dough, baked it and ate and... I have no words

:adore: :adore: :adore:

Tho I like the taste better without the hash (not that it was bad)

Should made butter with the hash and the cookies from scratch. Why? because hash chunks are harder to dissolve in the intestinal track as our bodies dont break it down as quickly. Also The hash had some water solubles stripped as well so boiling hash, UNSALTED CLARIFIED BUTTER (Ghee) and distilled water works best to ensure less unwated (plant taste) and more potency that is CONSISTENT. since maybe some of your hash chunks hit the cooking tray for the cookies which may have resulted in them losing them potency and just being chunks of burrn plant matter.

________

As long as there is water in the slow cooker, use high it makes the reaction happen quicker. Some people use overnight, like me. I dont want to waste anything and I dont mind a bit of plant matter in my broth since I can filter it out :).... Longer cooking meaning more plant matter is broken down into pulp/liquid.

Leftover water? I am experimenting with this in two ways. One version I use for tea and the other waste water I put back in a pan and added a stick of butter ( I made a TON of canna butter like over 8 lbs in my crock pot with like half LB of trim , so I experiment big time. I havent make cookies yet with it but I will tonight and let everyone know the outcome.

Back
Top Bottom