Carbon dioxide blanket during cure and storage

Dusted

I haven’t seen this discussed and I’m curious. Oxygen is second to light in degrading thc I think. Therefore it should be beneficial to exclude oxygen during storage. Carbon dioxide is heavier than air so it should be easy to blanket storage containers with this gas. It also seems to me that there are certain cannabinoids that get carboxylated during the cure, which is why the potency increases during the cure. Why not cure under a carbon dioxide blanket as well? I can’t think of any biochemical reason why oxygen should be present during the cure. To me burping the container is only to vent excess humidity during cure. I remember hearing about dry ice curing back in the 70’s but no science.

I agree that any excess moisture in an oxygen free environment could cause the growth of anaerobic bacteria. Nitrogen is an inert gas so shouldn’t cause any chemical changes in the buds. Carbon dioxide is an acid gas which forms carbonic acid when dissolved in water so it might end up dissolving the buds. Don’t know. I thought there would be someone on here that does it and would chime in

Yes I have, I did some cob type Zamaldelica with CO2 last year and they stayed mold free and preserved well. Also, I use it on any newly opened jars of bud. After selecting a bud for the evening I purge the oxygen from the bottle before sealing it.

CO2 is heavier than air and stays at the bottom of bottles, pails, etc. so you can leave bud in these containers for storage, but a lid is recommended.

i might try this. i have a butt load of c02 kicking around all the time. i smell a side by side brewing. cool info.

Yes I have, I did some cob type Zamaldelica with CO2 last year and they stayed mold free and preserved well. Also, I use it on any newly opened jars of bud. After selecting a bud for the evening I purge the oxygen from the bottle before sealing it.

I have only made one cob so far. That sounds interesting with co2 to prevent mold.

Have you had any spoil under CO2 yet?

I haven't had any spoilage yet, but I live in an arid climate that is naturally dry, and so airy sativa buds never seem to mold anyway. I haven't tried large dense Indica type nugs yet, but I think the process should be similar. You still have to make sure the relative humidity is correct in the jar so the buds won't dry our, but you can do that by using the commercial humidity packs, I use an orange peel and it seems to work fine in CO2. And of course storing in a cool and dark place you should be good to go.

I've written about my experience in this thread:

Yesterday, I decided to test some old Golden Tiger bud from my 2018 outdoor grow; it was cured in a mason jar purged with CO2 and left in a dark place in my basement. The bud was a bit dry, my fault for not using a better humidifier product, however the quality of the high was remarkable. I used a small amount in my Volcano vaporizer and could not be happier with the quality of the vapour and the purity of this extraordinary sativa high. I inhaled two bags of vapor and then sat in my living room enjoying the ultra-clear high; the sun was shining, my wife was making a taco salad in the kitchen and enjoying her afternoon, a young girl of about six in a pink coat was riding her bike on the street and in my head I could hear Neil Young sing "Helpless", and I realized everything at that moment was absolutely PERFECT! I believe what Tangwena says about how a good long cure will completely change the quality of a high. This was the love weed I've read others talking about. The CO2 cured weed had changed in the last 15 months for the better in my opinion. The important thing that I've learned is CO2 is a good way for me to preserve and mature my buds, I would love to hear anyone else's experience using it or any other inert gas.

Thanks for the update. It’s nice to know that theory sometimes proves right. I will have to find a cheap source of CO2. I’m thinking a large fire extinguisher would work, if re-chargeable.

Back
Top Bottom