Cheap DIY portable digital microscope

Robert Celt

Hello all

Yesterday I was searching ebay and amazon for digital microscopes. I wanted something I could take into the field with me as most of my grow is outdoors.

After much searching I could only find one that was portable and it was about $150. Not bad for something that didn't require me to carry a laptop with me.

Then a thought struck me: I have a digital camera on my phone AND a 60x-100x pocket microscope, why couldn't I take pictures with my phone through the pocket microscope.

As it turned out, I could.

Pistil of a 10wk old TCH Bomb
IMG_20150531_195112.jpg

Leaf surface at 60x from the same plant
IMG_20150531_195031.jpg

With a little fine tuning between the microscope focus and camera focus, I was able to get a nice sized picture with good detail.

Here is how easy it was.

Pocket microscope I bought at Amazon for about $15
IMG_007648.JPG

Attached to my phone
IMG_007745.JPG

For me that attachment was easy as the eye-piece of the microscope fit through the hard part of my ballistic case and then I just snapped the case back in place to hold it there. Its not a sturdy fit but if you are gentle then it will stay in place.

Hope all who are interested and can't afford a digital microscope but would like to see things close up can use this to their advantage.

RC

Good idea TheCelt!

I did something similar with the 55mm lens off one of my old 35mm film cameras. The lens from the digi cam fit nicely into the back of the camera lens and with the digi cam in macro mode with a bit of zoom it worked pretty good. I would have the digi cam on a tripod and have to have the lens almost touching the spot I was taking the pic of to get a good shot.

L8r

Great idea! ...have done it myself, but I shake to much ...I went over to a loup'e
I shake too though I wish I had found this link before I bought mine. They had one like the DIY version but it only fits the i4s iPhone, being old thats what I thought i had so i ordered one. I have the i5c not the i4s model .. who would think they have different models?
With the aid of a straight razor and a little time trimming the case I was able to make it fit.
I find it easier to stabilize it since it is bigger and has more weight then if I try with just the scope itself, though the click button location on the i5c sucks for taking pics of trichomes. It is a hit and miss operation. Thank God for digital pics, if I had to pay for film I would be broke.

You and me both OG, I scrap almost as many pictures as I keep. Now when I want to take a close-up of a dried bud, I rest my phone on a short glass with the bud sitting beside it. Its the only way I can steady the phone enough to get a clear shot LOL

You got it LOL

Just like to old saying "Necessity is the mother of all invention" LOL in my case, funds and general stubbornness pay a major role LOL

Even if I had unlimited funds, I would no doubt still do a lot of DIY projects. I was always of the attitude of "why pay someone else to do something I can do myself" LOL

You got it LOL

Just like to old saying "Necessity is the mother of all invention" LOL in my case, funds and general stubbornness pay a major role LOL

Even if I had unlimited funds, I would no doubt still do a lot of DIY projects. I was always of the attitude of "why pay someone else to do something I can do myself" LOL
Well I would argue that last point with you but I know where you stand on argueing:rofl:

Back
Top Bottom