Cheapest light I can use for vegging?

Fluorescent aren't very efficient and you have to have them right up against the plant. They don't penetrate. You might save some money on the price of the bulb. In the long run you will spend much more in electricity.

You want something dimmable so you can place the lamp closer to the plants and fine tune it. Using only as much electricity as needed for the age of the plant.

This video will give you an idea of all types of lighting.

Compact fluorescent bulb? It will fit a standard socket, and I think you can get a 60-100W for about $10.
She said effective. CFL's are great if you just want to keep a plant alive but that's about it.

My initial veg is always under a CFL. I next go to a 400W MH, and flower under a 1000W HPS. Never had a problem. I thought the operative words were "cheapest cheapest".

Attachments

• DSC01713.JPG
    DSC01713.JPG
    385.6 KB · Views: 119
Mars Hydro, a sponsor here, sells very affordable LED's. I personally have 2-300w old style and 1-300w Eco. Ive used them from the start and added the Eco this run. They work great for veg and flower and are only around $70.

I do use two 100w cfl's in my cloning setup and Ive left rooted plants in there for weeks and they have thrived, so they are a viable option short term.

Mars Hydro, a sponsor here, sells very affordable LED's. I personally have 2-300w old style and 1-300w Eco. Ive used them from the start and added the Eco this run. They work great for veg and flower and are only around $70.

I do use two 100w cfl's in my cloning setup and Ive left rooted plants in there for weeks and they have thrived, so they are a viable option short term.
Wow this is helpful thank you for posting this! I am looking for an affordable LED for 2 plants. I'll check these out!

CFL bulbs, oriented sideways (they don't produce much light from the end) and shrouded with homemade soda can reflectors.

4' fluorescent "shop lights" (watch that you don't accidentally purchase "economy" lower-wattage ones).

400-watt high pressure sodium or metal halide fixture advertised on Craigslist for $25 and bought for $15 (or traded some piece of junk you never use for). Be sure to purchase a new bulb, though. Oh, and it works for flowering, too, lol - your two-plant garden might end up with pretty sizable plants in it ;) .

The sun.

My initial veg is always under a CFL. I next go to a 400W MH, and flower under a 100W HPS. Never had a problem. I thought the operative words were "cheapest cheapest".

Some use them in a tent that's too short. The plants can get closer to them without burning. But for efficiency you may as well use HPS. HPS is affordable and it was the gold standard in the olden days.

Philips 19w LED bulbs, 2300lumens... Use 2-3 , cheap, reliable, do a great job.
About $15-20 each.
3 will pump a 60cm x 120cm tent... Need about 6000lumens to be decent for veg area.

Philips 19w LED bulbs, 2300lumens... Use 2-3 , cheap, reliable, do a great job.
About $15-20 each.
3 will pump a 60cm x 120cm tent... Need about 6000lumens to be decent for veg area.

Better than fluorescent but the intensity quickly drops off with distance. Instead of wasting money on those and later realizing you need a real light later. You may as well get a real one now. Cobs or quantum boards.

I recently installed some 4' LED shop lights in my crawl space. Not for growing, just for general lighting. I really think you could veg under these things. They are super bright. You can get a 4 pack of them off Amazon for $90ish in 3000k or 4000k. Each one draws 40 watts (so 160 for all 4), and puts out 4100 lumens (16400 for the 4 fixtures). In a 2x4 tent I think they'd be ok for vegging. They put off very little heat so you could run them quite close.

Don't get CFLs. They have been replaced with identical LEDs that are up to %70 more efficient and %50 cheaper

This is not a CFL, this is an E40 (same as HiD) connection with an LED in its place.

Its 65watts and is as efficient as a 200w CFL.
Costs about 30 bucks, but you can get even cheaper smaller ones that connect to a regular E27 lamp (edison screw) that are used in most modern homes.

They cost about 15 bucks, use 35w and replace the old 130w CFLs.
Just like chips, lighting is also benefiting from nano tech.

Don't get CFLs. They have been replaced with identical LEDs that are up to %70 more efficient and %50 cheaper

This is not a CFL, this is an E40 (same as HiD) connection with an LED in its place.

Its 65watts and is as efficient as a 200w CFL.
Costs about 30 bucks, but you can get even cheaper smaller ones that connect to a regular E27 lamp (edison screw) that are used in most modern homes.

They cost about 15 bucks, use 35w and replace the old 130w CFLs.
Just like chips, lighting is also benefiting from nano tech.
Less heat. More light.

Back
Top Bottom