Check out this little bug

roaring lion

not seemingly threatening by any means but i saw a few of these on my ladies today. i've got 4 outdoor plants in my yard, they are thriving, real green, lots of vigourous growth but noticed some spots on a few older fan leaves not concerned at all but then this tiny little bug caught my eye because i noticed it on a different plant. same little black spot. anyway, a the little invertebrate has a hard shell and is smaller than a poppy seed. it's a little miner from the looks of things...just sucking up photosynthates presumably...haven't looked it up to find out what it is yet. i'm up in BC, Canada. first one who properly tells me what it is, wins a virtual high five and bestows knowledge onto the rest of us...ok farmers, share your wisdom...scientific name wins extra points...

Attachments

• little bug 1.jpg
    little bug 1.jpg
    523.2 KB · Views: 149
  • littlebug2.jpg
    littlebug2.jpg
    368.4 KB · Views: 146
  • littlebug3.jpg
    littlebug3.jpg
    360.3 KB · Views: 157
  • littlebug4.jpg
    littlebug4.jpg
    400.5 KB · Views: 157
I think I found the same thing on one of my plants literally this morning, I went to wipe it off with my thumb and it smeared on the leaf idk. it was a little black dot like that

Welcome. No idea what that critter is. Anything going on under the leaves? I would hit it with neem/dish soap just for general principles unless it is in late bloom. Don't spray in bright light.
thanks. all gone this a.m. and nothing on bottom of leaf. not too concerned at this point, but little bugs can devastate if they go unchecked and multiply. these ladies haven't begun flowering for real yet but they better hurry!

I would suggest that to be an egg sack. From some critter or other. Would be hard shelled possibly. break the leaf off, put it in a jar and take it for show and tell, would be my suggestion

CCheers friend

I would suggest that to be an egg sack. From some critter or other. Would be hard shelled possibly. break the leaf off, put it in a jar and take it for show and tell, would be my suggestion

CCheers friend

I suppose that is a possibility and will do that next time I see one. I just crushed the one i saw this a.m. the other night the photo suggested two antennae and small legs but maybe my perception was off? it was definitely leaving small spots on the leaf surface, like a leaf miner. I will remove and observe closer. thanks for the feedback and idea.

CCheers friend
nivek,
i found another this afternoon, it's in a tupperware container and looking pretty still. you might be right. from the very first photos, i swear there are two little antennae or something as well as two legs. i know it's not the greatest photo, but i'll keep you posted on if this thing moves around in tupper ware container. maybe in the morning i'll wake up and have a small dragon in my kitchen that hatched from the egg...that would be cool

Back
Top Bottom