Citric acid instead of lemon juice?

KitchenWitch

420 Member
HI there, I'm new to washing bud and have a question. I use a combination of lemon juice and baking soda for the second wash. I was wondering for ease of use, instead of using actual lemon juice can I use powdered citric acid? Squeezing the lemons is a pain in the butt and I don't like to use the store bought lemon juice since most of what I've found in the store has added oils which I want to avoid. Thanks for any advice.

The only added oil I can find on the bottles of lemon juice in our fridge or the pantry shelf is lemon oil. And, that is the last ingredient listed so it is the least amount.

Citric Acid is part of the fluids in citrus fruits but for the huge food additive market they have to make it in large quantities and make a lot of it. Have you looked up how the citric acid you buy at the store is made? Might not be what you think.

Someone on this message board brought it up about a year ago. Since then I have decided to use the bottled juice for bud washing.

Thanks for replying. Yes I've looked up how it's manufactured. Citric acid is produced by feeding a particular type of mold a diet of sugar. The byproduct being citric acid. Just curious because I have citric acid on hand for other household purposes and I wanted to avoid using anything in the final wash that actually had a list of ingredients. I'm probably splitting hairs and being way too anal, but I figured hey, doesn't hurt to ask the people of the forum, right?

Thanks for replying. Yes I've looked up how it's manufactured. Citric acid is produced by feeding a particular type of mold a diet of sugar. The byproduct being citric acid. Just curious because I have citric acid on hand for other household purposes and I wanted to avoid using anything in the final wash that actually had a list of ingredients. I'm probably splitting hairs and being way too anal, but I figured hey, doesn't hurt to ask the people of the forum, right?
I brought it up because some people are a bit squeamish about using citric acid because of the method of making it.

If all I had handy was the citric acid then I would use it instead of driving off to the supermarket. Thinking about it, the lemon juice is used near the beginning of the bud washing and is followed by a couple of rinsing so it should not be a problem.

We have used it many times in canning fruits and veggies.

The only added oil I can find on the bottles of lemon juice in our fridge or the pantry shelf is lemon oil. And, that is the last ingredient listed so it is the least amount.

Citric Acid is part of the fluids in citrus fruits but for the huge food additive market they have to make it in large quantities and make a lot of it. Have you looked up how the citric acid you buy at the store is made? Might not be what you think.

Someone on this message board brought it up about a year ago. Since then I have decided to use the bottled juice for bud washing.

Citric Acid is a chemical made mostly in China. They make citric acid from fruit here in the USA but its not easy to find and probably more costy than lemon juice.

Just go to the store a buy a bottle of lemon juice - problems solved.

I use a combination of lemon juice and baking soda for the second wash.

Also - not clear on what you mean by "second wash"

The way most folks bud was is:

3 - 5 gal buckets with water.

1st bucket is the wash - with 1/4 cup baking soda + 1/4 cup lemon juice
2nd and 3rd buckets are the rinse buckets.

Dunk the branches like 10 times each bucket - nice and easy like washing your hands. I sing a little song while doing it. Mary had a little lamb..... is one.

Mary had a little lamb
its fleece was white as snow
every where that mary went
the lamb was sure to go.

Hooray for mary
hooray for the lamb
hooray for bud washing
I don't give a damn.

Done! Yer welcome.

Back
Top Bottom