College Research-Need some help!

Bud-Wise

Hello everyone,

I have not searched much for related information so I apologize in advance if I am starting a similar thread, however I wanted to see if anyone can help me in a more direct way.

I just got home from class and I have a research essay to start (not due til end of semester) with the general focus on medical topics. One of the many proposed research questions is should the U.S drug policy be reconsidered. As everyone else reading this, I feel the answer is YES!

I have not totally decided on how I am going to set up my arguement, however when writting on such a contriversial issue such as decriminalization of any illegal drug, you must make sure your information is reputable. Problem is most resources provided to a community college funded by the state and federal government are tainted by governmental biases and misconceptions. Honestly, reading some of those articles I realize from first-hand knowledge that they could almost be considered blatent lies.

What I'm looking for is any sources that are trustworthy...meaning truthfully analyzing how ajusting the U.S drug policy would be a wise decision medically as well as any other reasons that could be used in a college paper. There is a wealth of information on this site that could be used, sadly using information off of 420magazine will be seen as unreputable in the eyes of professors.

My goal is to write a paper that is eye-opening to those who have not taken the time to consider the harm done by the U.S drug policies currently in place. I do not just want to write a "stoner-paper" that is only condoning drug/marijuana use because of the joy involved. My paper is an attempt to highlight the hypocricy of how "legal" drugs/substances are just as "harmful" and in many ways could be worse for the human body as well as society as a whole. This paper will not be completely about marijuana, however since MJ has such an amazing potential medically and the fact that it is the most commonly used illegal "drug", marijuana is a solid basis for an argument that goes way beyond my personal beliefs and recreational weed use.

I have not thought of concrete argument points yet, however I was thinking about several ideas:
-highlight the danger/addictive nature of "legal" perscriptions and alcohol.
-the harmful facts about nicotine compaired to similar, yet less addicting and harmful facts about Marijuana.
-the elimination of dangerous black markets created as a result of prohibition along with the money invested in caring for those harmed by violence created by the illegality of certain drugs.
-the numerous safe uses of medicinal marijuana
-the economic benefits of legalization. The money saved when the government stops investing in prosecuting "drug offenders" and incarcerating decent members of society when the money could be used to for medical research and potential cures to big issues.

Obviously there are many other points that can be made. I was just given the prompt today so I am in the very early stages of this paper. I have pleanty of time so I just thought I'd get some feedback, suggestions, and maybe even some good solid resources from people who are not under the bullshit impression that "drugs are bad"...

Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Peace!

To any admins viewing this, would it be possible to keep this thread alive and active so members to this site can view it? I'm not requesting for a sticky, but I want to get as much feedback as possible from a knowledgable and free-thinking people. When I put forth my best effort, I can be a very persuasive writter and I am eager to write a paper informing considerably ignorant people about the potential good of a policy reform. I feel some of the heat put on myself and other MJ smokers would dissappear if more people wrote intelligent and responsible articles and other literature about an issue that most people have opinions that do not reflect as much fact as they should.

Thanks for your consideration

I just did a research paper on marijuana policy last month so I might be able to help you. I'm about to go to sleep so I'll make this short for now. Here is something interesting to consider: the vast majority of marijuana essays (nearly all of the class) focused on whether it should be legalized, while the most persuasive ones argued the question of whether it should be criminalized in the first place.

What I mean is having a strong philosophical foundation for your paper. For example, you could use John Stuart Mill's idea that "The only purpose for which power can be rightfully exercised over any member of a civilized community, against his will, is to prevent harm to others" (On Liberty, 18).

Examples of potential harm to others are driving while high and disutility to society due to laziness. While high driving is irresponsible and never a good idea, you could cite studies about how high driving does not really cause dangerous impairment, and certainly less than alcohol. Even government sponsored studies have not found any evidence of an amotivational syndrome. Yet even if this amotivational syndrome was real, choosing the degree of one's social involvement is a personal right. Unless laziness is to be made illegal, actions that may indirectly lead to it cannot be restricted.

Some may argue that preventing harm to others is not enough and prohibition is necessary for the users' own good. This could be a counter argument where you discuss the health risks from smoking and maybe some government comparisons between joints and cigarettes.

A good refutation of this counter argument is using vaporizers or brownies. Also, the cigarette comparison is misleading on numerous levels. First of all, most people don't consume nearly the amount of marijuana that heavy smokers do cigarettes. Second, while it is widely accepted that inhaling burning plant matter is not beneficial for a person's lungs, there is a massive difference between honestly acknowledging the inherent risk of increased bronchitic symptoms from smoking anything and DEA scaremongering implying a strong likelihood of lung cancer. Even if the ramifications of the claim were true, adults can legally smoke cigarettes without the government intervening to prevent harm from cancer. For the DEA's argument to support laws against marijuana, they would have to advocate banning cigarettes. Most blatantly, the claim disregards the fact that marijuana has never been shown to cause cancer despite decades of government sponsored research.

And that was just the social arguments. Economic arguments can also be very persuasive. Marijuana prohibition entails direct enforcement costs and prevents the taxation of marijuana production and sale.

A counter to this is that the true cost of legalization might be more drug users. Government figures supporting marijuana addiction and the gateway theory mistake correlation for causation. Just because the majority of hard drug users have used marijuana does not mean that marijuana leads to harder drugs. I found an article illustrating this concept with the analogy of bikes and motorcycles: Motorcycle riding (a relatively rare activity) is often preceded by bike riding (a relatively common activity). Indeed, it would be very unusual for motorcycle riders to have never ridden a bike before. But bike riding does not cause motorcycle riding, and an increase in the former does not automatically lead to an increase in the latter. Similarly, statistics used to support the addiction argument are based on increased enrollment in drug treatment programs. However, it is neglected to mention that when people charged with possession are given the choice between jail and the treatment program, most will choose the program. The government cracks down and arrests more people for possession, which leads to more people choosing to attend treatment programs rather than jail. And the government then cites this as evidence of mariuana addiction.

The refutation of this could be that studies in the decriminalized states do not show an increase in users and use in amsterdam has actually gone down. One of the dangers of a black market system for marijuana is that dealers are not required to ask for ID, thus enabling easier drug access for children. A correctly implemented strategy consisting of licensed retailers enforcing a legal purchase age will help ensure marijuana use stays with responsible adults. Also, a realistic drug education system should focus on harm reduction and preventing abuse. While not condoning, it should recognize that drug use may occur and should prepare students for dealing with it in mature ways. An education policy based on facts rather than fear is the best way for students to be able to make responsible decisions about marijuana use.

And then there is still the environmental effects with hemp and medical marijuana if you have any room left.

Moral, Philosophical:
Husak, Douglas N., Drugs And Rights. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1992.

Mill, John Stuart., On Liberty. London: John W. Parker and Son, 1859.

Health:
Zimmer, Lynn, and John P. Morgan. Marijuana Myths Marijuana Facts. New York: Lindesmith Center, 1997.
***GREAT BOOK AND A FANTASTIC REVIEW OF ALL THE SCIENTIFIC EVIDENCE***

Hall, Wayne, and Nadia Solowij., "Adverse effects of cannabis." The Lancet 352 (1998): 1611- 1616.

Economic:
Becker, Gary. "Response on Legalizing Drugs." The Becker-Posner Blog. 27 Mar 2005. 28 Mar 2008 <https: www.becker-posner-blog.com="" archives="" 2005="" 03="">.

Miron, Jeffery A., The Budgetary Implications of Marijuana Prohibition, Cambridge: Harvard University, 2005.

General:

Gerber, Rudolph J., Legalizing Marijuana. Westport, Praeger Publishers, 2004.

MacCoun, Robert and Peter Reuter. "Evaluating Alternative Cannabis Regimes." British Journal of Psychiatry 178 (2001): 123-128.

:rollit:
</https:>

Hey mate, thank you for posting this request to help you.
What I suggest is that you sit yourself down for a long read, of all the articles and facts in our archive, pertaining to mmj and Cannabis. I have filled our archive with heaps of info over the last year, and you will find everything you need, and more. Our archive covers scholarly articles, and informed treatises from academia and mainstream science. I am more than happy to help guide you through if that would help, but reading first is the best option.
Cannabis Facts & Information - 420 Magazine
Medical Marijuana Facts and Information - 420 Magazine

look up jack herer, he wrote the book called the emporer wears no clothes, its about the leagalization of hemp to all its widespread uses, this man truely believes hemp will save the world, there are documentaries and novels about him and by him....if you want someone persuasive and persistant in his beliefs thats the guy

there's also a great strain of marijuana named after him, ha ha ha, but seriously though, make sure to look up Don Peron, he wrote proposition 215, which legalized medical marijuana in california to patients with a prescription, pretty groundbreaking stuff, i think in the future as more and more anti drug laws begin to crumble, he will become more well known for how important that bill was to reform.

Dude, i could be a personal witness to the fact that marijuana cures illness. My illness Was/Is depression. Since I started smoking weed everyday, last three years, my depression has not only lfited. My general well being has also improved. My depression had me locked with stomach problems, back pain, terrible. I now eat better, have lost weight and generally have a better sense of myself. WHat caused my depression has now turned to things that really are nothing at all. It taught me patience.
I feel better because of Marijuana. WE all do, but it has allowed me to be a functioning person rather than lying in bed felling sorry for myself.

I can testify to using MJ in helping with this often overlooked illness as well. I am much more functional when I am medicated with MJ than precription pills. It's unfortunate how many people refuse to understand the wonders of the magical herb. :yummy:

there's also a great strain of marijuana named after him, ha ha ha, but seriously though, make sure to look up Don Peron, he wrote proposition 215, which legalized medical marijuana in california to patients with a prescription, pretty groundbreaking stuff, i think in the future as more and more anti drug laws begin to crumble, he will become more well known for how important that bill was to reform.

I know you meant Dennis Peron. :smokin: One Love.

Hello, I may be able to offer some insight on the medicanal use of MJ. I have had diabetes and peripheal neuropothy for the last 8-9yrs. The nerves in my feet and hands have been stripped of their protective coating that every nerve in your body has. This in turns sends signals to my brain that it is in serious pain and trouble. The same kind of pain a burn victume suffers along those lines anyways. Lets just say its very intense and it never goes away. Im always in that pain. I take over 400pain killers a mo. Pluse there is a lot of other meds too many to list now. Weed is just as vital part of my health of body and mind. Thats something pain killers and whisky just cant do. If this sounds of use to you please let me know. Theres no sense in having rare insight to such an important and timely issue and not sharing and make some good out of this unwanted knowledge ive unfortanetly posses. Sonny

Back
Top Bottom