Couple of questions on bulbs

Re: Couple questions on bulbs.......

420-magazine-mobile1954435282.jpg

Does anyone have any experience with growing using these new household LED bulbs?

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Been wondering this myself. They have high lumens but I question their light bandwidth. Wondering if they are good as supplemental light or as good (better/worse) than/as cfl bulbs.

Sent from mikeytv

Been wondering this myself. They have high lumens but I question their light bandwidth. Wondering if they are good as supplemental light or as good (better/worse) than/as cfl bulbs.

Sent from mikeytv

Yes I've been looking all over the internet and I can't find anything on someone using them to grow with So I think I'm going to put one of my seedlings that I have rite now and see what happens ? I got 2-18 watt LED bulbs = 2-100 watt incandescent bulb

Well you found someone who has... only thing is I combined them with led bulbs, fluorescent and cfl bulbs. Before I upgraded to hps and mh , that's all I was using but when I did the math, I was right back up in wattage that hps just made sense.
So I used a very similar bulb in my veg stage and they certainly didn't hurt but not sure how much they helped either. That said, while yield was around only 1o dried and cured, it did produce fine medicine.
I upgraded because I could see potential from my very diy set up.
I say maybe share the space with both led and some cfl unless you just want to see how these home led lights do solo. Would love to know.

Sent from mikeytv

3000 lumens combined- seems workable in veg but as they grow, you will need to add a lot of light.
Of course, this is coming from a guy that can't seem to grow just one or two ladies. That said, my current veg im really trying to open up and spread it out to do that 8 cola grow.

Sent from mikeytv

3000 lumens combined- seems workable in veg but as they grow, you will need to add a lot of light.
Of course, this is coming from a guy that can't seem to grow just one or two ladies. That said, my current veg im really trying to open up and spread it out to do that 8 cola grow.

Sent from mikeytv

Yeah man I just did LST trying for my first time and it's turning out pretty good !!! Let me know what you think!!!!
420-magazine-mobile1076261568.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1624909604.jpg

I do not have any experience with those bulbs. I use both LED & CFL in my grow tent. I have 2 300 watt Led (one is a 12×12 and the other is 6" circle) and a smaller 100 watt (circle) and I use a 250 watt CFL. .

Sent from my LGMS428 using 420

Ok so I've been using the 2-100watt really=2-18watt household LED light along with
2-= to 100watt CFL's I think they are 30watt each . All 4 lights on 24/7 now for 5 days and this is what I got so far. I'm going to Veg these for 2 months just like this and see what I get.Live-Love-Learn

420-magazine-mobile2069141936.jpg
420-magazine-mobile767726919.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1672692135.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1873977035.jpg

So here they are-
-They are under 400watts of mixed LED/CFL
(1-6500K CFL , 2-2700K LED's , 1-2700K CFL)
-Actual wattage is 36watts of LED's , 60watts of CFL's
-This is a experiment-

( I WANT TO SEE IF YOU CAN GROW WITH NORMAL HOUSEHOLD LED BULBS!!!!)

Ok, I'm still very green but from my experience the plant will grow with low light but as it grows it will need more light so if you keep it at this amount of light, I can't imagine it will be very big or leafy and flower will really be impeded by lack of light. That said, i bet it will still grow but then you also risk stressing the plant to the point of hermie or other issues. Or, on the flip side, if this is all the girls know, maybe they just think this is life and will grow- they will still be malnourished but should complete a life cycle. Interesting experiment. I tried as little light as I could get away with but soon found I wanted to give my girl as much as I could so I kept buying more and more bulbs to add. Got so many just to keep my girls happy that I decided to just go with a 400 hps. Wish I just got the 600 but I was worried about heat. Next time.
This set up will be good but I expect it's best work will be right now in the germ baby girl stage.

I used cheap power strips, plug in light sockets I got at lowes- can get 3 or 4 bulbs on one strip (depending on size of bulb)
Then I zip ties the power strips on wood planks that I could place in various positions to help feed the lower buds. And all this was just 2 plants! Just so much easier with one light I can switch between mh and hps.

Sent from mikeytv

Ok, I'm still very green but from my experience the plant will grow with low light but as it grows it will need more light so if you keep it at this amount of light, I can't imagine it will be very big or leafy and flower will really be impeded by lack of light. That said, i bet it will still grow but then you also risk stressing the plant to the point of hermie or other issues. Or, on the flip side, if this is all the girls know, maybe they just think this is life and will grow- they will still be malnourished but should complete a life cycle. Interesting experiment. I tried as little light as I could get away with but soon found I wanted to give my girl as much as I could so I kept buying more and more bulbs to add. Got so many just to keep my girls happy that I decided to just go with a 400 hps. Wish I just got the 600 but I was worried about heat. Next time.
This set up will be good but I expect it's best work will be right now in the germ baby girl stage.

I used cheap power strips, plug in light sockets I got at lowes- can get 3 or 4 bulbs on one strip (depending on size of bulb)
Then I zip ties the power strips on wood planks that I could place in various positions to help feed the lower buds. And all this was just 2 plants! Just so much easier with one light I can switch between mh and hps.

Sent from mikeytv

Oh I know all to well about the lights bulb obsession lol but now I got a APPALLO 250watt CFL WITH HOOD and a homemade 800watt CFL Set up made from a bathroom fixture and some bulb splitters it works great has 4 -150's and a 200watt bulb in it awesome set up its on a pulley to raise and lower then of course I have
All types of bulbs laying around from past set ups I use for side lighting. I like the CFL's I get extremely dense buds little to no heat made they are cheap to run my electric bill is like a extra $10-$15 a month. I do a have a flower room and a separate Veg room and I have a new 32"x32"x60" grow tent coming in the mail for another flower room. I just got a hold of 4 clones from my dad for xmas lol!!!! 1 Orange Cali KUSH, 1 Blue Dream , 1 Cookies Og, and 1 Blue-Green KUSH , I'm so excited for the BLUE-GREEN KUSH -It's a cross between Green crack x Purple KUSH !!!! So keep a eye out soon for a awesome new grow coming up they are about 12" tall already my dads taking care of them for me till I get set up sometime next week !!!!! So excited!!!!!!

Been growing with them since I first saw them! they work okay, and if you read the fine print on most of them they tell you the spectrum I also use a $40 led shop light to flower with.
I didn't read through most of the posts sorry.
Don't get me wrong, I own and use some regular grow lights,
But I still use the LED bulbs to clone, and early veg along with Sylvania strip lights
If you search around you can find some of my earlier grows with them as supplemental light to a Mars Hydro

Been growing with them since I first saw them! they work okay, and if you read the fine print on most of them they tell you the spectrum I also use a $40 led shop light to flower with.
I didn't read through most of the posts sorry.
Don't get me wrong, I own and use some regular grow lights,
But I still use the LED bulbs to clone, and early veg along with Sylvania strip lights
If you search around you can find some of my earlier grows with them as supplemental light to a Mars Hydro

Awesome finally someone who has grown with them I figured it was possible but you never know Are they similar to CFL's? Thanks for letting me know!!Live-Love-Learn!!!

Funny thing is I never used a CFL lol but definately similar from what I can tell by growth patterns. My buddy just found these huge Sylvania led bulbs at the Home Depot they are more blue than red but they burn 40 watts and 80 watts actual and the 40 watt bulb is a dollar per watt the 80 is $70 he bought one to grow with in a 2 by 2 by 4 foot tall box I'll see if I can find some specs

Using led bulbs now. And cfl.. If anything the led plants are bigger. Wattage for wattage.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120A using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Turns out I had the brand wrong it's made by Feit Electric and their cheaper than I remember here it is he uses it with a bat wing and a 110 cord and socket
f51660277d5700c797eaa0c16af04347.png

81, I have but I was heavy with cfl' and a few led grow bulbs(cheap small ones) and into flower added 8 4 foot fluorescents. It's just so darn much to manage and ended up being same wattage or close to a 400 watt hps. That's why I just switched to the mh/hps.
See here is my thing though. My first attempt was only two plants. It was much easier to move and position so many lights for a 2 plant grow than it is for 4,6,+++. Diminishing returns brother. Even if it might be marginally cheaper, single light with maybe some focuses lights near lower plant is so much easier to manage and maneuver. That is worth the price of gold when I'm trying to pull each plant out to water or check. Now during early and mid veg I think it's fine but as they grow the more light we need--- mo little lights, mo problems! Lol

As to your question-- not sure if they are similar. Can't say how they could perform using just and only led home bulbs as I used such a varied combo, but another poster wrote about finding the right spectrum home bulbs and why shouldn't they work? Right? He also mentioned about taking off the cover of the led board on the bulb. I read that and thought, what a brilliant idea. I mean it's only a plastic done. I would also recommend doing that to increase light even more.
All that said, who cares! Grow grow grow. Learn, get closer to the earth and your self and enjoy the experience and the reward. It's funny, I'm hard in myself about size of each plant and shape and all that of the colas but who cares, even a little love back just inspires me to try again. Reward is there even in imperfection. Hell, even in perceived failure. It's all a journey. Man, I want to hug my self!

Sent from mikeytv

I wanted to add a little today.
I am experimenting with hydro using coco and I wanted to get some more bulbs during this veg stage and I quickly realized I chose the cfl bulbs over all other. The light, heat just seems the right balance... until...
And see, this is what I'm learning.
I used bag seed on my first grow and ended with 2 females I havent done any major topping in g1 or g2.
G1 I was just too green and I didn't want to hurt what was already working. On g2, it was a space issue. I just didn't think the same bag seed would yield so many girls. (Side note question--- if you found a seed in the bud of a plant that came from a auto fem seed, would resulting new bag seed genetically be auto too? Just curious)
Back to my point. Aside from lighting, I pretty much have done the same process. Same nutes, same issues because of my dosage of nutes(lol), same watering although a little less obsessed about it nothing has changed but lights. In g1 I used all cfl, fluorescent 4 footers, led grow (little cheap ones) and led house lights. I just kept adding to support the light needs of the lower and larger buds. So doing the math, when you add it all together in at or above 400 actual watts. Which is why I just switched to hps. I only have a 400watt hps( and mh but haven't had a chance to veg with it yet as I have only one ballast and didn't buy until g2 was going into flower.
Anyhoo, assuming all else being equal here is some noticeable differences.
420-magazine-mobile2067573311.jpg
.jpg[/IMG]
This was my biggest cola from g1... now I will say I feel it was better formed and dried and cured beautifully but a fraction of the size of my current grow at basically same wattage.

Now this is the big girl so far from this grow(g2).
Just more flower. The foxtailing is new for me personally and not a fan but still playing with light distance. Trying to hit every one the best it can- which is why I am looking at just 2 plants really opened up, instead of too many crowding each other.
420-magazine-mobile285650211.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1710721912.jpg
420-magazine-mobile919295576.jpg

This is another girl. Aside from only one cola it's significantly denser than g1.
420-magazine-mobile1412068929.jpg
420-magazine-mobile391818776.jpg

And the last were the four I pulled from flower to go into dark for a coupe days then cut to dry.. then cure.
My point is the old tried and true tends to be the path of least resistance. You can accept less dense or girthy medicine by chasing lighting deficiencies or at equal wattage, can focus on other stuff using just one light ( with maybe a could cfl bulbs to help with lower stuff. Or spread that baby out and not worry about low hanging fruit.
I am really enjoying learning all this new stuff.

Sent from mikeytv

Back
Top Bottom