Cree DIY COB LED? Why do people use white lights?

CO2 would be one of my last concern with the drafting the describe that heat going into house is fresh air to the plants
CO sealed room then CO a beni
no seal no beni as the gas leaks out ; this is from what I gather from allota research
if yer not venting at all then CO but you know that going by the looks of that greasy resiny nug in yer hand :)

While water cooling sounds cool and would work great, it will work too well. What most fail to remember is you do need heat in your room. In the winter time I have to pay close attention or my room gets too cold. These leds have no uv. Uv will trigger your plant to think it is 5 to 7 degrees higher that it really is. 82 to 85 is perfect for these lights and your leaf temp will run about 75 to 79. Be careful being too efficient and cooling too well, you will need that heat or be ready to supplement with a heater.

last winter i regulated the temp by limiting intake air as the mars get hot , they heated the room on cold days
i'm nor/cali north Sf bay area last nite was 25 F 50F day that's the coldest it gets around my town near the bay
i found with my grow a wide temp swing between light off/on the plants seems to do better
i know in the green house a wide drop is wanted by most plants except the real tropicals
thou strain & genitics play a huge role
I grew killer strawberry cough last summer in G/H

Could just sit cool

a65cf6e83c81da33dfa0123873c7eb83.jpg

Sent from my HTC Desire Eye using 420

The Vero29 is significantly less expensive than the Cree3590.

Vero29 runs 165L/watt at 700ma and costs ~ $24 right now.

Cree3590 runs 178L/watt at 700ma and costs ~$45.

Citizen also sells a model 1212 that runs 149L/watt at 1080ma (and should be about 10% higher at 700ma=164L/watt) and costs ~$26.

Vero29 runs at 36 volts, Citizen1212 at 34 volts and Cree3590 at 36 volts.

:Namaste:

[Edit] With those drivers, you're going to be running two COBs per driver ... are there 9 heatsinks, too? If you're thinking about running the COBs at higher power, you should also consider footprint. More COBs, spread out, is always better. If you mount the COBs for a low power pattern, it's not that useful to up the power later. You get a more concentrated source than you may want. I'm looking at 16 COBs at 1050ma for my 4x4 = close to 600 watts at 165L/watt. That'll produce close to 1000 ppfd and about 20 PARwatts/sqft.

The Vero29 is significantly less expensive than the Cree3590.

Vero29 runs 165L/watt at 700ma and costs ~ $24 right now.

Cree3590 runs 178L/watt at 700ma and costs ~$45.

Citizen also sells a model 1212 that runs 149L/watt at 1080ma (and should be about 10% higher at 700ma=164L/watt) and costs ~$26.

Vero29 runs at 36 volts, Citizen1212 at 34 volts and Cree3590 at 36 volts.

:Namaste:
That Cree is worth it and every way if you have the money

That Cree is worth it and every way if you have the money

If you have the money. :cheesygrinsmiley: And actually, the latest big Citizens perform as well or better than the Crees at half the price.

シチズン電子株式会社

COB Series Version5-Lighting LED | CITIZEN ELECTRONICS CO.,LTD.

I know what you're saying but Cree is losing ground fast. BTW, I just realized that Digikey's price is high for the Citizen1212. They're under $15 from other sources.
I feel you but compare that citizens data sheet and look at the min. Luminous Flux citizens is 5k but look at Cree cxb3590 which is at 9k for the same type of cob so I would gladly spend the money on Cree till someone shows me something better just worry bout these other makers quality

Crees price is coming down and new bins (3000k 80cri CD now) and DB 3500k 80cri keeps getting talked about.

For lumens/watt, remember that's only useful for the same spectrum. Cxb 3000k 90cri LER comes to 276, so 138lumens/watt is 50% efficient. Cxb 3500k 80cri is 324, so 162lumens/watt for the same 50% efficiency.

Some citizens probably work out well on the mars drivers, 048, 038s. If you can find them in stock. 72v cxb3590, or pair of 36v. Cxb2530 3000k 90cri doesn't look bad at around 46% efficient @ .7A($12 each, 2 per driver)

Crees price is coming down and new bins (3000k 80cri CD now) and DB 3500k 80cri keeps getting talked about.

For lumens/watt, remember that's only useful for the same spectrum. Cxb 3000k 90cri LER comes to 276, so 138lumens/watt is 50% efficient. Cxb 3500k 80cri is 324, so 162lumens/watt for the same 50% efficiency.

Some citizens probably work out well on the mars drivers, 048, 038s. If you can find them in stock. 72v cxb3590, or pair of 36v. Cxb2530 3000k 90cri doesn't look bad at around 46% efficient @ .7A($12 each, 2 per driver)

Those cxb2590 wasent bad had em in my last lite and was killing now have cxb3070 which I believe the cxb3590 is only 4% more efficient.

If anyones going watercooling their LED panel, definitely should go closed loop as it is more mobile. If done well you dont need to worry about leak, and maintenance is easy. You just need to keep the water in the rad to stay full because even in a closed loop, you still get some evaporation, albeit just a little bit and almost irrelevant. So basically mount a rad, mount the heatsinks with water inlet outlet, perhaps a modified wide contact waterblock such as an old full-closure gpu block. And some fans for the rad if you need quicker heat dissipation. Sounds great. Oh dont forget to get quality tubings which do not bend easily. Tubings which are bendy are going to succumb to the pressure and it will tighten up. Water still flows but it will become a tighter tunnel and add extra work for the pump since there is a bottleneck. It will not go back to its original form either because as time passes by the heat from the water will deform it.

Sent from my E5803 using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Typically watercooling is only nominally better,take for instance the closed loop cooling craze that went on with pcs, for the same price one can get a Noctua NH-D15 that would outpreform most clcs. A good heatsink plus a high static pressure fan almost always does better for cheaper.
Now back to the topic, I have been looking at the crees and it seems like the cxb2530 performs quite well for the price, keeping in mind i have 9 drivers on the mars ii 1200 meaning that would be 18 lamps. Going with either the 3050 or the 3590 would be almost prohibitively costly in the most expensive case costing nearly $900.

Back
Top Bottom